Shop Maintenance - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Curious to age? Even back in early 2000's Haas lathes (and mills) needed air to run. Can't say what it did on the lathe, as the toolsetters were manually operated when they first came out. Maybe air over hydraulic (or opposite? not sure how it works) for the turret index?

Lathes '93, '94, '97/8, 2001. Baruffaldi and Sauter electric turrets. VMC mid 90's.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    I understood it just fine. This is the "Shop Management and Owner Forum". and anyone who doesn't understand the value of compressed air in a "CNC" shop should not be in a position to manage a shop much less own one.

This topic would have been more suited for the General thread.

Not sure what your problem is with Therm and really don't care. This site is not the place to bring your personal problems to. You are right, PM has a serious problem and Don needs to get a handle on it soon. Ten years ago this would have been nipped on day one.

This sight is monetary driven and this is absolutely disrespectful to Don and quite frankly the rest of us here that prefer to work with one another. With each attack you post it is just an attack on your personal character. What exactly are you trying to gain?
    dude was a bit rough, but i do feel where he's coming from. maybe its the fact that english is my 3rd language, but most times it is very difficult for me to understand thermite's ramblings... oh well.

3. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All our turning centers have air-powered parts catchers except those only used for 2nd ops, and they all have blowguns.
    But I can sure remember when the extra cost of extending the air lines factored directly into my paycheck. And that definitely qualifies the thread for inclusion in the Shop Owners forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Curious to age? Even back in early 2000's Haas lathes (and mills) needed air to run. Can't say what it did on the lathe, as the toolsetters were manually operated when they first came out. Maybe air over hydraulic (or opposite? not sure how it works) for the turret index?
    Mori Duraturn 25XX is Hydraulic turret lift, Hydraulic turret index, hydraulic chuck open/close, electric lube
    Mori Duraturn 20xx Hydraulic lift, servo index, hydro chuck, electric lube
    Those don't have a single air connection on them

Mori NL - Hydro lift ( actually it's a zero-lift so hydro unlock ), servo index, hydro chuck ( main and sub ), electric lube
    It does have an air connection, but only for part eject on the sub, chip blow on main and sub and parts catcher up/down.
    If you have no air, just jumper the pressure sensor and the machine isn't the wiser.

Haas SL series: Pneumatic turret lock/lift, so right outta the gate it does need air.

6. Likes gregormarwick liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling View Post
    I think millennials have a buy once cry once. Always just have a newer unit vs older. Mentality. Thinking one newer is a better safety factor than 2-3 redundant items. (And they spend like a mother f'r. Remaining available credit is tjeir savjngs account....)
    More of a no repair no hassle warranty.
    Comes with the cheap disposable commodity mentality. And I get it. But there is lots of money to be saved buying used. I'm an 1984. So melennial but barely? I like used!

Unfortunatly I live in a norther smaller town, so used on neiche items is hard to come by. Working from a home garage shop my needs are neiche.
    Needs to be as low draw as possible, but quality. Commodity items have killed this bracket imo.

Being "remote" most warrenty centres are 550km away. So even if it's warranty I have to pay a small
    Fortune for the drive to and from, plus hotels and meal sub. It's a killer.
    Do that a few times and it's the cost of a new kaiser air tower all over again..
    As a millennial who loves vintage equipment, I think it comes down to something i noticed with my boss. He would rather spend the money on a new one than waste time trying to diagnose and fix our current one/a new one if needed. Just today I was boring out a hard emegency collet. He said "dont waste time, just go spend the 35 bucks for a new one."

A lot comes down to just not dealing with the hassel.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hum.....well if you were boring out a "hard" "emergency" collet, that might explain a lot right there....

Quote Originally Posted by Frater01 View Post
    Just today I was boring out a hard emegency collet. He said "dont waste time, just go spend the 35 bucks for a new one."

A lot comes down to just not dealing with the hassel.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some see hard, different than others, that is why there are "blue pills"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Every lathe that I have ever used has been purely hydraulic, no air at all. Some Sauter turrets are purely electric and don't even need hydraulics.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Hum.....well if you were boring out a "hard" "emergency" collet, that might explain a lot right there....
    Do it every week, Takes a few minutes.