What's new
What's new

Shop name

shimmwagen

Plastic
If this is the wrong forum please let me know. I am starting up a shop and am trying to decide between two names. Looking for opinion of which sounds better. Peak machining and Summit machining.... Any thoughts/commoments?

It needs to mean something to you and something your potential customers can identify with. My shop is OverFlow Machine. The concept was that we would go after in house shops at large OEM's that get over loaded and need quick turn around service when they do. We also do some production.

It works for us

Ron

We are surrounded with mountains where I live. Peak and Summit are the top of the mountains. Trying to convey that we are the top/best machine shop.

For that Irish feel you could call it "Top 'O Th' Mountain t'Ya! Machine"

I'd go with Summit. Reminds me of the beer and that ain't too bad.

There is a hill top near Sardis that is named after a battle in the Boer war... a friend was going to use it for his business but he moved. I thought is was a cool reference with the large dutch population.

Prior to the late 1920s, settlement in the Yarrow area was restricted to Majuba Hill (named after a Battle in the First Boer War, 1881) at the foot of Vedder Mountain. To Yarrow’s immediate west was Sumas Lake. Because of the annual flooding of the Vedder River, Eckert’s land was used primarily for grazing cattle and harvesting hay. When the BC Electric completed a rail line in 1910 that connected Vancouver to Chilliwack, the station at the foot of Vedder Mountain was named Yarrow, perhaps after a local flower.

You could call it Penthouse Machining. That's the "top".

I don't know what a Shimmwagen is, but Schwimmwagens are cool.

what is this, amateur hour (please pronounce that "am-a-toor" for the full pretentious effect)?

You should name your shop:

"A1 Super-Amazing-Shop for Maximum Speediness and Much Income for All"

"summit"? puh-leaze....

You probably shouldn't add "Machine and Tool" either. I like the single word names myself.

Shwimmwagen was taken when I opened my first Hotmail account 20 years ago so I dropped the 'w'. I will have welding services as well but was trying to keep the name short and simple. Penthouse makes me think of the magazine, and I don't think that'll fly with some people. I did not realize the majuba hill dutch connection. I was leaning towards peak machining but summit seems to roll of the tongue better, in my opinion anyway. I agree with not adding precision, machine and tool as well

I suspect both names have been used many times before; perhaps even nationally trademarked. Do a search first. Especially if you have aspirations of growing the business, you want a name that's distinct. At the very least you'll want your DBA ("doing business as") to be registered in your province. Not sure of the rules in Canada, but here in the US there are local publication rules, state registries, a national registration, and international registrations. None of them have particularly onerous requirements, which is one reason you'll likely see common names already in use.

One approach is to use your name (e.g. Shwimmwagen Summit Machining, SSummit Machining, Schwimm Uphill Welding, etc.) as part of the company. Get a name where you can also get the Web address.

Why not? If it rolls off the tongue, why not?

(Thinks to myself - Ashley Precision has a nice ring to it...) No? :confused:

You could say that...

mkaliplinermocha_2.jpg

(this was the first result in a Google image search for "Ashley Precision" BTW)

You could say that...

mkaliplinermocha_2.jpg

(this was the first result in a Google image search for "Ashley Precision" BTW)

Ah, a left-handed pencil!

Schimmwagen, PeteM has a point. Do a search for Summit Engineering (I use Duckduckgo) and see if you will be able to stand out amongst that lot. My business name is so individual it doesn't show up in a search at all - I really must get round to setting up a website.

George

If you include you Sir name, you don't ave to advertise you business in the paper. The reason, your name is on the business. The advertising is just to let people know who is responsible for financial reasons. Hence your Sir name.

Regards,

Stan-

I'd suggest googling what ever name you think of and see what comes up.

What's your target market? Is it local repair work? If so maybe pick the name of the local highest mountain and call it what ever that mountain is machine. Locals will probably be able to put the connection together.

Summit machine is a shop that's pretty well known in the off road world for their suspension joints. Summit machining looks to be a 145 employee machine shop in California.

I personally don't like the ring machining has in a shop name but that's just me. I prefer machine my self. If your target market is mainly repair/ 1 off/ help a farmer out type stuff what ever machine and repair is pretty open ended as far as what the shop does and gives you some room to expand your business. Whatever name you choose inc. or enterprises also give you a pretty open ended business name if the shop direction changes.

The shop I work at the owner used the first 3 letters of his son and daughter's names put together and added inc. at the end. In recent years the inc was dropped for motorsports because the focus has shifted towards the motorsports industry. People think it's the boss's last name but it's unique and the only other thing that comes up when you google it is a district in Prague.

Back