shop owners of wiconsin: please read - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by newbreed View Post
    I am learning very quickly the word humble does not exist in machining, and its a damn shame.....
    Try looking in a mirror. 5 months in and you are "crushing it" by your own words. Too many people these days extremely exaggerate their abilities, you seem like a poster child for the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    Hey, are you guys hiring writers or machinists? He might well have natural ability and be pretty good as a machinist, not a writer. IMO, it's like real estate- location, location, location. Some areas are just dead and there's nothing to be done about it. Do some research and try a different area. If success can be had there, move family.
    Give me a break, he writes a long drawn out almost illegible rant making no effort to make it more readable. With that you take offense to the comments on his writing skills?

3. Likes digger doug, Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by memphisjed View Post
    If you are all that, then take the off shift job, within a month or two you can pick your shift. Here second shift is the trophy, yet we expect way more than good enough. I am the college drop out with 3 yrs in mathematics and physics, my coworker has masters in metal from SIU; and we both had months on daywalker shift before getting second. Your trade degree gets you a starter job that lets you show you are better than the average bear. 2 left standing outta 5, showing potential.
    I figure "daywalker shift" is 3rd or graveyard as they called it back when I worked for the man. I worked for a large aerospace connector manufacturer that pretty much sentenced new hires to a minimum of a year of 3rd shift to start. Your experience or skill level did not matter, a few lucky ones hired in on 2nd, no one started off on days. At least the 3rd shift worked 6.5 hours and was paid for 8, the company had good benefits and pay
    for a non union shop.

5. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    Hey, are you guys hiring writers or machinists? He might well have natural ability and be pretty good as a machinist, not a writer. IMO, it's like real estate- location, location, location. Some areas are just dead and there's nothing to be done about it. Do some research and try a different area. If success can be had there, move family.
    To "Canandaigua, NY" ?

You go ahead, step up and hire them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Try looking in a mirror. 5 months in and you are "crushing it" by your own words. Too many people these days extremely exaggerate their abilities, you seem like a poster child for the problem.
    YouTube

either that, or all that cheese has someone bound up tite.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the worst things people (especially inexperienced people) do in interviews is criticizing their current or former employers. Always be positive in interviews so that the prospective employer does not come to believe you are a troublemaker.

I do not know if this applies in your situation, but it is good advice anyway.

9. Likes Rewt, mneuro, SIM liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing the kid has going for him is the fact hes working with castings right out of school. I know many machinist that have been in the trade for years but still have a hard time working out the trim lines and what not, I hate castings and forgings.

Too bad the kids not in Georgia, I've got several customers that work in casting and suck up anybody that comes along with casting knowledge at $30+ per hour.

11. Likes SIM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Give me a break, he writes a long drawn out almost illegible rant making no effort to make it more readable. With that you take offense to the comments on his writing skills?
    Then don't read it and go somewhere else.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    One thing the kid has going for him is the fact hes working with castings right out of school. I know many machinist that have been in the trade for years but still have a hard time working out the trim lines and what not, I hate castings and forgings.

Too bad the kids not in Georgia, I've got several customers that work in casting and suck up anybody that comes along with casting knowledge at $30+ per hour.
    Maybe you could bring him to the Philippines instead ?

Should be a real good worker.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nt1953 View Post
    One of the worst things people (especially inexperienced people) do in interviews is criticizing their current or former employers. Always be positive in interviews so that the prospective employer does not come to believe you are a troublemaker.

I do not know if this applies in your situation, but it is good advice anyway.
    Tailor your attitude to suit the interviewer. Praise your previous boss for taking a chance on you straight out of school (whether deserved or not). You are not "crushing" it, trust me, but you are also not clueless or unskilled. Use verbiage like, "looking to expand my skillset with a larger more dynamic company" or some bullshit like that. Throw in "progressive" somewhere if there's an HR person in the interview. You also need to face the fact that you're probably going to have to work 2nd shift or push a broom on 1st. I would go the route others have suggested and show my worth on 2nd, that includes asking to do more than your job description. You will be called an ass kisser by the others on 2nd, but that's ok, you can be an ass kisser that works on 1st once you learn/do/show what you can accomplish. Let your work stand for itself, no one can argue with dead nuts work.

15. Likes SIM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

Maybe you could quit being a dick and put out some useful information or just be quiet.

17. Likes Tbartoletta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think your instructors were lying to you about the jobs. Up until May of this year everyone I knew was going gang busters, and then a bunch of work dried up.

Your best bet is to find a place and work a 2nd or 3rd shift and prove yourself to get on first shift. Even if you are "crushing it", anyone hiring you will see 5 months of experience. That's not a lot of time to be trusting someone to come in and bang stuff out. Be patient and remember, you are the f-ing new guy. So it's going to take some time.

19. Likes JDennis, Ox, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that every shop in the whole state of Missouri is looking for people. Myself included. I know shops that are slow and they are still hiring so that they have people when things pick back up. Lotta work here. Good shops too.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Given the average wage here for a good machinist is $7.00 a day I doubt he would be interested. But hey,,,, Always on the lookout for a good machinist!!!

22. Likes digger doug, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spelling, sentence structure, paragraphs....all are needed.

And composing a proper title (read the rules about making your title descriptive please)
    Rats! I think I broke my eyes.

24. Likes moonlight machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AARONT View Post
    Maybe you could quit being a dick and put out some useful information or just be quiet.
    Maybe you should take your own advice and not read his posts.

26. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AARONT View Post
    Cheese binding you up yet again ?

we are providing good help.

Rather he/she hear it from us, than whilst being shown the door at the most recent job eh ?

You, on the other hand.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Behner View Post
    Rats! I think I broke my eyes.
    Not from my post's you don't.....

29. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I gotta admit, it does sound like the op has a chip on his shoulder, which is a shame. That has a tendency to show up in interviews. Trade schools and five months of experience should be enough to get an interview at most shops.

If the current shop is failing due to mis-management or burnout, buy the owner out and make it profitable. You are young, you can afford to take more risks than us old timers. I wish I would have known that when I was in my twenties and had energy, drive and ambition.

31. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OP, How old are you? Your situation sounds likes a first world millennial problem........................but a little grace...............it's tough having a family, bills, mortgage, with a possible job loss. But ya gotta make the best of your situation..............Man up and take a 2nd, 3rd, or weekend shift job..................or move. Are you tied to your area? Family, friends wife's job, etc?

Trade school + 5 months.................eh. You're still green as grass. Crushin it? Maybe. Sounds like you have been neck deep in learning. That's good. No new shop will much care. You're still a neophyte.............hard work and a little sacrifice is the only way.................no participation trophies in this industry.

33. Likes Ray Behner, Dualkit, SND, Garwood, SIM liked this post