Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try to take pictures of the stuff you have done so far or the stuff you will do in the next 1-2 months. As lots of the people on here will assume, 5 months isn't much and other shops will likely see the same thing. If you are able to show them some of the setups and projects you have worked on and explain why you did them, I could see that helping a lot during an interview.

As everybody on here mentions, lots of younger folks try to walk in and talk the talk, but often fall very far short. You have to convince whoever is giving you the time to interview that you are at least worth a chance.

2. Likes cameraman, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Not from my post's you don't.....
    Nope, you're pretty succinct. I have a problem with a long paragraph with the words all glued together and no punctuation. Maybe it shouldn't bother me, but it does.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by newbreed View Post
    Hello.
    Looking for a little advice. Ive been in manufacturing my whole life. I have 2 letters of recommendation from previous supervisors, and have never been fired.5 months ago I graduated from college with an associates in machine tool technics.(2 year)At the time I felt like it was the best decision ive ever made. Ive never picked up on something so quickly and been so engaged. To say I rediscovered my passion for new information is an understatement. BUT now onto the problem. I found work on first shift at a steel iron and aluminum foundary the week after graduating. The owner told me all about the ground breaking work that was happening here and about how they do the parts no one else can figure out how to do.(I am learning every Freakin shop says this excact phrase)and holy crap did I bite on his story. im talking hook line and sinker. the only problem is he described the current state of the business, but in reality he was describing the business in the early 90s. I am currently the only person on the floor machining. I do all set ups(decently complicated fixturing), ive gotten to modify a few fixtureswith ideas ive had for them, I do a lot of manual program rewriting/editing, I do occasional programming using surfcam(much prefer mastercam)I do all cmm inspecting. im essentially a one man band. some days I do not even see him. now sure I struggle with things being inexperienced but I do not give up and don't stop until I am at solution. I feel like for only being out of school 5 months im absolutely crushing it. 2 weeks ago we went from 5 employees to 2. the work is drying up and the companies days are numbered. I have about 2 months worth of casting on the floor and after that I forsee him closing the doors. I have been getting my resume out there and looking for work pretty aggressively. what I am finding out is that what we were fed at the tech school seems to be a load of bull sh*t. the jobs are not there. no one is head hunting me. the interviews ive been to so far have been good interviews. but ive gotten the impression that either they do not believe I am taking on the work load I claim to be 5 months out of school, or I do not have enough experience to warrant being out on 1st shift. the issue is I have a 6 year old daughter and a wife. the last thing I want to do is work an off shift and onlysee them on the weekends. its simply not acceptable to me. my family means too much to me. are there any suggestions of how to obtain 1st shift work in the eau Claire and surrounding area area, or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and move to mn or work an off shift for god knows how long until I can get myself onto 1st shift? any suggestions would be great. I am getting very frustrated. machining, particularly programming both g code and cam, is the greatest passion ive ever found, but with how bleak things look around here as far as any 1st shift work goes im considering just going back to school.
    I am an employer / business owner but have not busted my ass in hard core old school machining (from the bottom) up for 40 years. [Unlike a significant fraction of "Peeps" that post here.].

Sounds like IF you have real talent for all this and are a "Quick study" but can make new and useful stuff happen on the shop floor that have a +ve real world impact... [With the limited experience / time you have had.]. Most employers in that environment don't really have experience of candidates such as yourself. Not unheard of (not unicorn territory). + risk that the employer has to juggle with new candidates.

Seems in the interview that you need (for want of a better word) is a "Portfolio" or dare I say almost power point presentation (not quite) of illustrated and documented worked problems that you have done. Just saying stuff in an interview versus showing more structured visual content and accomplishments.

I have to be honest most employers if they see someone who shows talent and potential will typically throw them at face of the salt mine (anyway) for at least 6 months. [That's been my experience.]. "Break them down" and then slowly build them up (if they are useful / worthy.). If eventually you rise to a higher position you still need absolute experience of what's going on at the lowest and most difficult/ demanding level(s).

If you don't like that kind of environment and approach to employment, maybe move to a different state... Even somewhere like California and try to get involved with smaller companies for a while that are tech / research based in part so you might have more freedom to develop your skills.

I've moved states , coasts, continents and countries to find better opportunities. That fit better what I wanted to do with my life. If I hadn't done that I could not imagine what I'd be doing if I just stayed in my home town hoping for work to come to me.

Don't expect to be 'Head hunted", YOU need to hunt down the opportunities that seem a better fit for you... The "Universe" is not going to do that for you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J Gilles View Post
    Try to take pictures of the stuff you have done so far or the stuff you will do in the next 1-2 months. As lots of the people on here will assume, 5 months isn't much and other shops will likely see the same thing. If you are able to show them some of the setups and projects you have worked on and explain why you did them, I could see that helping a lot during an interview.

As everybody on here mentions, lots of younger folks try to walk in and talk the talk, but often fall very far short. You have to convince whoever is giving you the time to interview that you are at least worth a chance.
    Sorry I just read this , so kinda making the same point here (Thumbs up).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Maybe you should take your own advice and not read his posts.
    I did take my advice. I gave the guy some useful information. He's on an internet forum and you're going to piss and moan about a long paragraph and punctuation. I highly doubt his resume matches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Cheese binding you up yet again ?

we are providing good help.

Rather he/she hear it from us, than whilst being shown the door at the most recent job eh ?

You, on the other hand.....
    Don't be jealous we have real cheese and not that wiz crap.

You are not providing good help. You just want to be the Practical Machinist police and put down people any chance you get.

What company would show someone the door for a run-on paragraph?

What about me? Are you going to start talking some bs again? I at least offered the guy some relevant advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AARONT View Post
    I did take my advice. I gave the guy some useful information. He's on an internet forum and you're going to piss and moan about a long paragraph and punctuation. I highly doubt his resume matches.
    A lot of people won't read a mess like that as you can tell from the comments.

9. Likes ranchak, Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J Gilles View Post
    Read the above. And then read it again.

We went through 25 people before we found the right one. And it was not for any skill or effort on my part. We simply got lucky and had someone in the same state that is also a member of this forum take note about my disappointments in interviewing and trying out candidates. They put us in touch with their employee that was moving geographically to our neck of the woods.

Many, many, MANY times in life and this trade, you will find out that it is as much about relationships as it is about skill or luck.

Your area pays for shite as it is, and everyone wants to work, over there. So the companies can get away with paying crap and treating them the same. Sad but true. Flip side is that the cost of living is ridiculously lower.

At some point, you're going to have to put your big boy pants on and make decisions that affect yourself and your family. I know that head hunters have been calling and writing me incessantly, ( I have not been an employee for many many years now, too ) so they are working the lists. Maybe you need to call them, stay in touch, and make sure they keep you in mind. It only behooves them to do so. That's how they make money. If you have done so and they are still not calling you, then maybe you have your answer already and just do not recognize it.

Good luck.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@newbreed

THIS ^^^ particularly with what Fanuc are doing with introducing collaborative robots as an "Entry" level to bigger badder robots.

IF 3rd shift type work chained to machines is not doing it for you and you want to get the 'Jump" on stuff then learn to program robots/ automation systems for CNC production work.

Maybe that's more up your street vocationally.

Also check out companies / organizations like Curtiss Wright, they are more "Nerdy" and forward looking in a real-world large scale way. They used to have a lot of "in-work" training possibilities and advancements, so sometimes it's a case of getting a foot in the door (at whatever low level you can) and going from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well it "TITAN" likes it, it must be fuckin bad ass.

13. Likes cameraman, g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    well it "TITAN" likes it, it must be fuckin bad ass.
    LOL , yeah I know it doesn't always help [Once a boxer always a boxer]; (he still gets booked for lot of "Gigs" to speak + his national vocational training center project he trying to roll out.) ... [His mini media department is not bad at all / pick/ develop topics that are worthwhile, scrunched into a 4 minute video... Wish I was at EMO 2019 so have to "Peek" through the window of youtube.].

Still the FANUC rep was interesting in sharing Fanuc's roadmap + systems that can be put in training environments.

Those Green (liveried) robots seem to have a bit more payload than some other collaborative robots... Some one's got to program these / make work.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't be jealous we have real cheese and not that wiz crap.
    Hey now!!! Don't be knocken the mass produced flavor packed aerosol imitation cheese! I live in the 3rd world country where stuff like that is a rare commodity. Heck, once a month I take a bus 6 hours one way to get Taco bell. That Cheese wiz would do numbers on a hard shell taco.

16. Likes TeachMePlease, AARONT liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    Heck, once a month I take a bus 6 hours one way to get Taco bell. That Cheese wiz would do numbers on a hard shell taco.

I am so, so sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Isn't the saying it's at least 10,000 hours to master a trade?

You've got some experience and I remember when I was 5 months in thinking I was killing it. There's a reason most places want 2+ years experience for a more than entry level position. While you are doing well you just don't have that many hours doing it for a living. You can only experience so much in 5 months (800ish hours) and even if you are making things happen it's just not that much experience for most employers to gamble on putting you into an experienced position right off the bat.

Trade schools these days as a whole are usually diploma factories that don't teach much. Most employers don't put a whole lot of stock in trade schools as applicable experience. I know more than one automotive shop who will throw out any resume with Wyotech or Lincoln tech and 0 on the job experience. It sounds like you actually learned a lot in school.

Someone here might be willing to look at your resume and cover letter and give some suggestions to get you the jobs you want.

19. Likes cameraman, Myrmidon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heck, once a month I take a bus 6 hours one way to get Taco bell.
    I suppose it only takes 3 hours to get back. (tailwind?)

21. Likes cameraman, Hodge, g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey now!!! Don't be knocken the mass produced flavor packed aerosol imitation cheese! I live in the 3rd world country where stuff like that is a rare commodity. Heck, once a month I take a bus 6 hours one way to get Taco bell. That Cheese wiz would do numbers on a hard shell taco.
    It IS true our brave boys in green/kaki have risked their asses attempting to drive tankers full of Cheez WiZ through Bagdad for Halliburton.

I'm not a "User" myself.

23. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AARONT View Post
    What company would show someone the door for a run-on paragraph?
    Not addressing anything else, but if something like that came across my desk or arrived in my email inbox, it'd be in the trash before I even read it.

Presentation, spelling, grammar and use of paragraphs etc is *important*. You only get one chance to make a first impression. Writing like that makes one all right, just not the one you'd hope for.

PDW

25. Likes digger doug, Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

"Drone Delivery"...think about it.

27. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those of you with that stuff you can't buy at any price, and can't give it a way either, you might be interested in the thread currently running in the Dilbert comics. Mine is in the shape of a ball of the clearest stuff known to man. You'll sometimes see me with a hand palm upwards, making a circular motion over it with the other hand as if polishing. It usually means I am watching stupid happen yet again. Been using this gesture a lot lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by newbreed View Post
    Hello.
    Looking for a little advice. Ive been in manufacturing my whole life. I have 2 letters of recommendation from previous supervisors, and have never been fired.5 months ago I graduated from college with an associates in machine tool technics.(2 year)At the time I felt like it was the best decision ive ever made. Ive never picked up on something so quickly and been so engaged. To say I rediscovered my passion for new information is an understatement. BUT now onto the problem. I found work on first shift at a steel iron and aluminum foundary the week after graduating. The owner told me all about the ground breaking work that was happening here and about how they do the parts no one else can figure out how to do.(I am learning every Freakin shop says this excact phrase)and holy crap did I bite on his story. im talking hook line and sinker. the only problem is he described the current state of the business, but in reality he was describing the business in the early 90s. I am currently the only person on the floor machining. I do all set ups(decently complicated fixturing), ive gotten to modify a few fixtureswith ideas ive had for them, I do a lot of manual program rewriting/editing, I do occasional programming using surfcam(much prefer mastercam)I do all cmm inspecting. im essentially a one man band. some days I do not even see him. now sure I struggle with things being inexperienced but I do not give up and don't stop until I am at solution. I feel like for only being out of school 5 months im absolutely crushing it. 2 weeks ago we went from 5 employees to 2. the work is drying up and the companies days are numbered. I have about 2 months worth of casting on the floor and after that I forsee him closing the doors. I have been getting my resume out there and looking for work pretty aggressively. what I am finding out is that what we were fed at the tech school seems to be a load of bull sh*t. the jobs are not there. no one is head hunting me. the interviews ive been to so far have been good interviews. but ive gotten the impression that either they do not believe I am taking on the work load I claim to be 5 months out of school, or I do not have enough experience to warrant being out on 1st shift. the issue is I have a 6 year old daughter and a wife. the last thing I want to do is work an off shift and onlysee them on the weekends. its simply not acceptable to me. my family means too much to me. are there any suggestions of how to obtain 1st shift work in the eau Claire and surrounding area area, or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and move to mn or work an off shift for god knows how long until I can get myself onto 1st shift? any suggestions would be great. I am getting very frustrated. machining, particularly programming both g code and cam, is the greatest passion ive ever found, but with how bleak things look around here as far as any 1st shift work goes im considering just going back to school.
    Come to Milwaukee, lots of shops and better wages at those shops then most of the shitholes in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. You cant walk through an industrial park without tripping over a machine shop.

Now respectfully I'll say this, be realistic when looking for an job on your skill level and dont tell who's ever poasibly hiring you "I am crushing it after 5 months", because we are going to smile, nod, and tell you we will keep your resume on file.

This is a lifelong trade of learning, I appreciate your confidence, but theres alot more to learn, and 5 months of experience is barely touching the tip of the iceberg.

If moving to a more industrialized area isnt in the cards, you might want to go back to school theres other lines of work where you wont have to deal with the type of game playing you've already experienced.

Either way good luck