shop owners of wiconsin: please read - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had my own shop for 30 yrs now, and I don't know near all.
    However - I doo have this shirt. (or something a LOT like it)

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

2. Likes bridgedog, crazygoat, dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmidon View Post
    Come to Milwaukee, lots of shops and better wages at those shops then most of the shitholes in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.
    Ahh...but Ox, where is your shop and Home ?

Like many of us here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmidon View Post
    Come to Milwaukee, lots of shops and better wages at those shops then most of the shitholes in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. You cant walk through an industrial park without tripping over a machine shop.
    But you can't walk thru there at night....

So where doo you think Ox has his shop ? and home ?

Didn't you see pix posted with CORN all around ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is my 2 cents (free of charge even!)..

OP likely won't be back.

Instead of humbling himself (ironically he even used humble in a post), he doubles down that he is "crushing it" 5 months in. I suspect / *know* OP doesn't know what he doesn;t know. I've been in this trade (machining, tool&die, cnc etc) for 25 years give or take. I still learn things, and I can admit there is alot I don't know-

macros (very VERY basic)
    heat treat (understand some theories but never done anything in-house)
    automation
    etc

Hopefully he has an epiphany and realizes at 5 months he is a newb and comes back for more advice... we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In all fairness, I'm sure that he meant killing it "for only 5 months in".
    And, just being able to even mention many of the things that he has - says sumpthing for sure.

However - I'm still in the camp that says that you cannot expect to walk right in to 1st shift unless it is a 1 shift only shop.

BTW - I generally don't bother with posts that are typed like that either.

------------------------------

Where's the Party?
    Ox

7. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    And, just being able to even mention many of the things that he has - says sumpthing for sure.

However - I'm still in the camp that says that you cannot expect to walk right in to 1st shift unless it is a 1 shift only shop.

Where's the Party?
    Ox
    I didn't know that Eddie Money played tenor ? HE does a 1/2 decent job for a "Rocker" -

Much better than Bowie trying to play alto... (There's no emoticon for that.).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Here is my 2 cents (free of charge even!)..

OP likely won't be back.

Instead of humbling himself (ironically he even used humble in a post), he doubles down that he is "crushing it" 5 months in. I suspect / *know* OP doesn't know what he doesn;t know. I've been in this trade (machining, tool&die, cnc etc) for 25 years give or take. I still learn things, and I can admit there is alot I don't know-

macros (very VERY basic)
    heat treat (understand some theories but never done anything in-house)
    automation
    etc

Hopefully he has an epiphany and realizes at 5 months he is a newb and comes back for more advice... we'll see.
    I just don't think these days that millennials that can get a handle on CAD/CAM and other aspects of CNC and machining want to be essentially fleshy automatons till the wee hours of the morning. On the other hand if you NEED a job , you need a job.

It's Odd how Bernie Sander's and similar are trying to say automation is a really bad thing and sorta wants to bring back jobs from the 1950's … ? That doesn't work (necessarily ) for mass production.* And trying to be competitive on the world stage.

So learning to program robots and getting more experience might be a good long term fit for the appropriately handled " Newbreed ".

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

* I don't know if any of you guys have watched "American Factory" on NETFLIX yet ---> Very good documentary although a bit "Obviously" constructed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

Where's the Party?
    Ox
    I had a night shift job for a bit early in my career. It was completely pointless. No one to tell me what to do, no one to answer questions, just a stack of jobs sheets with insufficient instructions and hope you can figure out what the programmer wanted. Good luck learning anything from that. I would move long before taking a night shift job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    I had a night shift job for a bit early in my career. It was completely pointless. No one to tell me what to do, no one to answer questions, just a stack of jobs sheets with insufficient instructions and hope you can figure out what the programmer wanted. Good luck learning anything from that. I would move long before taking a night shift job.
    Ah - there's a difference in personality types I'd suspect.

If it was me in that position, I'd take it as carte blanche to do what I wanted, how I wanted, within the very broad (nonexistent) instructions. Then if it wasn't how things were intended to go, defend myself based on the shitty/nonexistent documentation provided.

Might get fired of course. But I'm good with vague directives, I like exercising my creativity.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Come to fox valley area of WI from Greenbay to Fond du Lac along hwy 41.. Shops can't find enough good cnc machinists, even good green button pushers are hard to find.

Nothing but a bunch of window lickers coming through shop lately..

If you as good as you think you are, finding good work around here should be easy for you

13. Likes Zahnrad Kopf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just want to say that Millennials aren't necessarily the new ones. If you were born after 1980 you are a millennial.

I think the people in their 20's should be named the "Idiocracy Generation" though. Good ones are far and few between.

15. Likes Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, there's a new sub'group to make fun of by now?

-------------------

Kain't Keep a Good Man Down
    Ox

17. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Just want to say that Millennials aren't necessarily the new ones. If you were born after 1980 you are a millennial.

I think the people in their 20's should be named the "Idiocracy Generation" though. Good ones are far and few between.
    My wife is technically a millennial , I'm Gen X …

So even now time has passed that millennials are getting long in the tooth and we have Generation Z* .

Gen Z 1995 to … be continued.

I'm not really sure the wants of Gen Z would be ?

Maybe gen Z has a backlash against the millennials... Does everything completely opposite just for the hell of it.

Sad that Foxconn didn't deliver as promised / expected in Wisconson… Kind of a bummer.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

* Generation Z - Wikipedia

^^^ "What Evs "

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know about the rest of you people, but I was a hell of a lot smarter and confident at 5 months than I am after 25 years. Anymore I worry about the entire cost of the project... right down to the expense of cutters and material; not to mention what it's going to do to my machines. Back then, I just programmed the job and threw the part in and let it rip... or as the youngsters seem to do... say "Send It", Take a video, Post it to Instagram, and say "Boom".

Now I worry a lot more about what could go wrong. I'm ten times more profitable than I was at 5 months... but my ulcer is getting an ulcer

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by newbreed View Post
    Sorry. I did write that rather hastily. I also expected a lot of jack wagon replies about how i know nothing because i haven't been at it long enough. No where in that post did i claim to be an expert. I am not naive what so ever to the fact that i have only scratched the surface. I would LOVE nothing more than to even find somewhere offering an apprenticeship program. Does not exist in my neck of the woods.

The biggest problem i see in this industry is exactly what happened here. Every skilled machinist i've come across loves to talk about how they are one of the good old boys and how us new guys could never compare. BUT are never willing to invest time and effort to actually teach us new guys. Crushing it? Yes i am. I have handled everything thrown my way with little to no "real life" experience. And completed it on time to boot. Just because i cant compete with an old timer who could blow me out of the water does NOT mean i have zero skills. I have been pulling my weight there from week 2, got almost no training, had to bust out manuals to figure anything out, learn conversational in a matter of 2 hours to get a rush order out, and i literally waste no opportunity to learn. I have zero control over how irresponsibly the business is being ran.

No i cannot compete with any of you guys. go ahead and take a minute to pat your back. But while your doing so realize why guys like me with a decent aptitude and drive to learn are starting to shy away from this industry. No one likes to be sh*t on. and that's all i've gotten from anyone with any level of experience in this industry thus far. I know I'm probably being a bit defensive right now, but it gets old. I wasn't taken seriously enough where I've been in the past. So i went back to school. Now that I'm out i am being treated worse and spoken down to more often than before i went back to school. I was looking for a little constructive criticism sure.(go take x y or z class, buff up and focus on these skills, try looking for an apprenticeship in this area through this place etc...) Not literally just criticism.
    wear you at in wisconsin i may no of a few places in Adams,plover area
    hows that for punctution and spelling aholes

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blgmachine View Post
    wear you at in wisconsin i may no of a few places in Adams,plover area
    hows that for punctution and spelling aholes
    Maybe he'll doo better at milking cows....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Milk's over $18, so - yeah - he might!

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or as the snowflake said...."thats unfair......I didnt know there would be a drug test at the interview.....".....snowflake is 00 on,ie under 20.

24. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had to read Mr' Steepenwolf's post a few times, but I got it....

----------------------

Snowblind Friend
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by newbreed View Post
    I am currently the only person on the floor machining.
    Hello newbreed,
    It's time to leave (immediately). You are lucky, you live in the northern end of the most active manufacturing region in the world.

You may have to get a little trim in your pay, but I strongly want you to enter the "toolmaking" profession. Whether it be Dies or Molds, go here.

you can thank me in 10 years.

27. Likes Ox liked this post