Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Milk is closer to $15 and two dairy farms a day have been quitting this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    But you can't walk thru there at night....

So where doo you think Ox has his shop ? and home ?

Didn't you see pix posted with CORN all around ?
    Ox owns his own shop, that kind of circumvents the needing to be in an industrialized area. If you are a machinist looking to work for someone else you have to go where the jobs are. If you are the owner you have a different set of rules because your customers can and will come to you.

In Wisconsin most of the shops in BFE pay 10 to 15 bucks less an hour and have worse benefits then the ones in one of the major industrialized metro areas. And based on what I've seen in other states that seems to be a recurring theme nationwide. So for those who work for a guy instead of being the guy they are better served moving where the jobs are in their field.

O and I live in bumfuck nowhere too, but if I was looking for a first shift job I certainly wouldnt try finding one there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    In all fairness, I'm sure that he meant killing it "for only 5 months in".
    And, just being able to even mention many of the things that he has - says sumpthing for sure.

However - I'm still in the camp that says that you cannot expect to walk right in to 1st shift unless it is a 1 shift only shop.

BTW - I generally don't bother with posts that are typed like that either.

------------------------------

Where's the Party?
    Ox
    Even if he meant killing it for only 5 months on the job, how would he know? He said he was the only one doing the tasks he is doing and it is his first job in the trade, the only person he can compare himself to, is himself. The guy obviously is full of himself, plain and simple. I once hired a guy in his mid 20's if it was for a machining job I could have seen through his BS easily in an interview, but it was for office work, inside sales job with a few other tasks thrown in. He was good at cold calling which I hate or I would have fired him on day one. The guy was constantly bragging about how good he was at everything when he wasn't even average, his skills were cold calling and that was it. Problem is that was 5% of his day. He blamed everything he screwed up on something other than himself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Milk is closer to $15 and two dairy farms a day have been quitting this year.
    Not unless you sold for $15 on futures prior.
    Not been $15 since March.

Milk PRICE Today | Milk Spot Price Chart | Live Price of Milk per Ounce | Markets Insider

You could have sold Oct for $19.82 a few days ago.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    I had a night shift job for a bit early in my career. It was completely pointless. No one to tell me what to do, no one to answer questions, just a stack of jobs sheets with insufficient instructions and hope you can figure out what the programmer wanted. Good luck learning anything from that. I would move long before taking a night shift job.
    Not all night shift jobs are created equal. Many places have a full 2nd shift other than upper management.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Every shop in our industrial park here is hiring, including the one I just left.

I think you just need to look at relocation. Living expenses around here are quite reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

looks like Newbreed is outta here...too bad, lots of good info mixed in with the insults.

In the case you do come back...

Seems the overwhelming majority of people are of like mind and have already said what I would have.

In an interview I do not want to hear applicants tell me they are "Crushing It" after only a short time out of school.

I do not want to hear they "do it all"

I do not want to hear they are the only competent one in the shop.

I do not want to hear their boss is an arse...if he is..then why did he hire you?

I do not want to hear you are unwilling to work this job or that job or not work a certain unfavorable shift.

I do want to hear about your eagerness to learn, what you have learned. I'd like to hear how you do your best for the company you work for and your employer. It would be nice to hear how you are so grateful that he gave you a shot to prove yourself.

I would not mind hearing that the work is slowing down and you do not see a future there and would like to find a place to learn and grow with.
    I'd like to hear how you need to provide for your family and wish to be present for your children...but understand about having to prove yourself in ANY POSITION AVAILABLE.

In short...suck it up and show your not going to come in and think you run the place after a few weeks.

There is an old saying " I don;t know how we ran all these years without you" Its not a compliment.

On a personal note...I enjoy your eagerness within the Trade, love you have taken to it and take pride in what you have accomplished. I understand you wish to convey that to us...

BUT- I'll speak for only me here, I hear applicants come in and put themselves very high up on a pedestal as the best of the best blowing smoke up my tuckus. Masters of everything and want to be compensated that way.
    Once they hit the floor such a large percentage don't come close to their hype... Some can't even measure or do simple offsets.

So when you come off cocky and somewhat arrogant patting yourself on the back....the little hairs rise up on my neck.

The ones who hit my floor running are usually the ones that are calm quiet and want to get on the floor and show me instead of telling me what they can do.

Last...as a family guy. Yes, I get wanting to be home with the wife and kids. But I have spent a good many years working 1st and 2nd shift to make sure the wife and kids had a roof over their head, food on the table and were able to get the best education possible with some savings for possible rough times. I was the 2nd shift

Get a job, prove yourself and push for a better job then repeat. Do not burn any bridges as you go. If can be a move up within a company or finding another job. BUT each time you leave a position your resume grows giving you more to offer by way of experience.

Employers get it when guys raise themselves beyond what their company can offer...leaving on good terms they will understand and wish you well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A company I do work for is hiring an apprentice in Chippewa Falls, if you can get over the no night shift shit, send me a PM OP. It's a solid paying Power Plant gig, schools paid for. They pay for relocation and dont pay poorly.

If you didnt get scared off that is lol.

9. Likes TeachMePlease, Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just found this thread, read the OP and not much else...

I am in the Eau Claire area and everyone is hiring!! Especially 10 miles north, in Chippewa Falls.
    There are about four new machine shops under construction, other new manufacturing buildings under construction all over....

One shop about gave up with employees and bought a machine shop about 70 miles north, they couldn't fill the shop they had, and they are are still building a new shop in town anyway.!
    Another shop is outgrown itself and is trying to move into the next door shop, they just built a huge new building.

Startup die shops are popping up left and right.

I got a letter from an investor, they want to buy a machine shop here in town.

I don't know of any casting shop in the Eau Claire area, except high volume magnesium Die Casting.
    There is a cast iron plant near by in Menomonie WI

Looks like one of the bigger booms in this area in my lifespan...

Don't know what is going with the OP ??

11. Likes Ox, cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 3t3d View Post
    I am in the Eau Claire area and everyone is hiring!! Especially 10 miles north, in Chippewa Falls.
    There are about four new machine shops under construction, other new manufacturing buildings under construction all over....
    One shop about gave up with employees and bought a machine shop about 70 miles north, they couldn't fill the shop they had, and they are are still building a new shop in town anyway.!
    Another shop is outgrown itself and is trying to move into the next door shop, they just built a huge new building.
    I don't know of any casting shop in the Eau Claire area, except high volume magnesium Die Casting.
    I hesitated to say anything similar, because I do not know if it's just us. We, too, are busier than we have ever been. Not this year. Not in two years. Ever. Honestly, I speak with friends and acquaintances all the time asking just what all the doom and gloom in the news is. Maybe we Wisconsinites are just lucky??? But then that does not explain all the other people in the same boat ( across the country ) that I've spoken with about it.

13. Likes Myrmidon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depends on alot of things, industry particularly I'd imagine. This was a slow year for me so far, though its seemed to pick up abit, but it always does during outage season since I serve the power generation sector pretty heavily.

It's hard not to trip over work some folks are telling me, yet theres been a handful of places closing their doors as well, I am trying to stay optimistic. Of course I am entrenched in repair work so the fact folks arent calling me might be an overall sign of health, buying new shit as opposed to fixing broken ass junk.

A good economy will run me out of business! Lolol

15. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 3t3d View Post

That's awesome,

I have heard good things about Wisconsin from a higher end engineering point of view / culture of that.

Doesn't HERMLE have their technology center in Franklin Wisconsin*.

Sometimes these thread starters are not always what they seem and sometimes might be more research related / getting litmus test on things.

(Even if they are, I'm happy to play along as that usually shakes out some good truths and info (collectively)) / stimulate discussion.).

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

* I'm originally from the UK (US passport though) and still my US geography is still pretty crap. Can't tell you what different parts of Wisconsin do and do not do... The only "Bum f*ck " that I know of is "Bum f*ck Virginia " didn't know that Wisconsin had one too ? ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The most notable one is in Egypt.
    Would have thought that you would have been through there before?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    The most notable one is in Egypt.
    Would have thought that you would have been through there before?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yup actually was brought over to work for the Getty Conservation Institute to image "Tut's" tomb (as part of a research fellowship) … Instead long term agreement with the Egyptian antiquities department went "Tits" up ; but we did actually manage to do some pretty excellent work with the tomb of "Nefertari" (not nefertitti )… Really beautiful. Early 90's as well as joint projects with an Italian crew and INFOBYTE, too + groundbreaking stuff with VR application (for its time). Mainly for conservation documentation / research into new digital imaging techniques.

clockwork-orange.jpg

^^^ Why they made us always wear Humpty Dumpty outfits more reminiscent of "A Clock Work Orange" I'll never know... Even projects in LA we had to wear these things. Shop overalls ~ fine by me but... But the uniform of the "Ultraviolent " I'm not sure about that; we had to look like experts right ? ;-)

antechamber-4.jpg

>
    >

Queen Nefertari wife of Ramses II

__________________________________________________ ____________

So Wisconsin ! / What's goes on in Wisconsin / tech / industry / machining related ?

19. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So Wisconsin ! / What's goes on in Wisconsin / tech / industry / machining related ?[/QUOTE]

I work in the toolroom that supports the shop floor, gages, fixtures, automation parts, robot end of arm (carbon fiber), mold maintenance, new tool tweeking.
    We have had more months of $2 million sales this year than ever before. We run 24/6 some 24/7 weeks.

21. Likes cameraman, Zahnrad Kopf, Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Toolroomguy View Post

So Wisconsin ! / What's goes on in Wisconsin / tech / industry / machining related ?

I work in the toolroom that supports the shop floor, gages, fixtures, automation parts, robot end of arm (carbon fiber), mold maintenance, new tool tweeking.
    We have had more months of $2 million sales this year than ever before. We run 24/6 some 24/7 weeks.
    That's cool as hell.

Not to give toooooo much away that's the direction my "Little ship" and projects are headed in , more tool room /tool making type processes BUT with modern materials.

Some of the instruments and equipment that we have to build are heavy duty things that can be pounded into the dirt, pushed off short buildings and still operate... [Near military field type requirement.].

BUT we also have to consider a less rugged market that incorporates the use of Carbon fiber and various elements but in a precision way... (not too dissimilar from robotics) so it kinda interesting and challenging to devise physical interfaces for large bore carbon fiber tubes and related structures to tool-steel ! Very interesting design aspects when you are working with a material with a -ve (negative) coefficient of thermal expansion. Some really interesting things you can do.

+ high precision tool worthy geometries and understanding thereof. + MOLD work (right !)

You have IMO an excellent skill set for what's now and NEXT in particular.

(and a literal hand on robotics ! ).

You probably have insights and experience and knowledge of things that we are probably still years away from stumbling into.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

@Toolroomguy Really sounds like cool work you do and awesome skillset.

Also maybe something OP (if he still lurks / exists could consider some sort of apprenticeship ? (maybe) ).

In countries like Germany they have that better figured out I think like journeymen / Wanderschaft (sp) , guilds, and vocational training + formal apprenticeships to real jobs (state sponsored.). [Sometimes that can be tedious and long long long grind but I think they manage to make it work.].

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had a toolmaker who was too good to tear down a mold, scrub parts with solvent and abrasive pads, grease and assemble. He didn’t understand we did not have 45 hours of the fun stuff, design and machining.
    What he should have done was challenge himself to work out the best methods to do the maintenance, work flow, sequence of events, hand tool optimization, looking to get the job done as fast as possible without doing the headless chicken routine.
    Not quite as satisfying as designing and building fixtures, but a challenge none the less.
    PS, the toolmaker was let go to find a job that was acceptable to him.

24. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had a toolmaker who was too good to tear down a mold, scrub parts with solvent and abrasive pads, grease and assemble. He didn’t understand we did not have 45 hours of the fun stuff, design and machining.
    What he should have done was challenge himself to work out the best methods to do the maintenance, work flow, sequence of events, hand tool optimization, looking to get the job done as fast as possible without doing the headless chicken routine.
    Not quite as satisfying as designing and building fixtures, but a challenge none the less.
    PS, the toolmaker was let go to find a job that was acceptable to him.
    I have to admit it's a little weird what people will and won't do [Without judgement], and also sometimes more manual repetitive tasks can be a therapeutic escape.

I've given a lot of people a leg up over the years , I had one nephew that was this "Known" " Amazeballs " "genius" but he dropped out of college. His father actually was a machinist and foreman at a pretty largish shop. But to my nephew this "Blue collar" stuff* was kinda beneath him in his estimation as he was supposed to be a Doctor or pediatrician or something. He liked the "digital" end of the business, but one day I gave him a base plate for a camera system we had to engineer for, that had an irregular bolt pattern but no established datums and I wanted him to plot out the bolt pattern through triangulation... Using High school math. He simply couldn't get it and was literally in tears. So in the end I had to just give him more menial things. He was Ok with that. He scored very high in math on SATs and all that. I'm originally very dyslexic and ADD and inherently bad at math LOL (so I had to compensate and catch up on a lot over the years little by little, so I don't make ANY judgements about syntax or prose or spelling etc. 'cuz at one point I'm pretty sure mine was worse than most of the most.].

I was raised very old school and did a lot of manual labor of one sort or another from young age, today with "child labor laws" and all that you can't expect that kind of "Graft" / roll your sleeves / muck in / much out an' all that. Kids raised on farms (today), probably understand that better; but I have to admit I had a hard time trying to instill a real days work into my own kids ?

Solvents though / safety equipment I LOVE laboratory grade acetone (the good stuff) but janky (low grade) MEK and naphtha and cheap cheap toluene really cuts my throat out makes me sick / shakey for a long time.

Chlorinated solvents are the worst especially if you become sensitized to them (thankfully I haven't).

Essentially pride/ standard of finish and elbow grease go hand in hand... Not sure how many Generation Z have exposure to those basic tenets of craftsmanship ? The Maker movement is excellent but it is kinda shaggy around the edges in a fun sort of way in some cases. Slightly different mind set.

So safety equipment fume hoods and all that I take pretty seriously BUT I definitely agree the skill and mindset to improve all those processes is a MUST. Has to be.

We had a toolmaker who was too good to tear down a mold, scrub parts with solvent and abrasive pads, grease and assemble. <snip>

doing the headless chicken routine.
    I'm not sure there is any "Space" in the workplace for headless chickens or their "Routines" ?

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

* That's one of things that intrigues me about Germany and Switzerland is that it's not so much "Blue collar" or "White collar" it's just one technical-craft ~ " grey collar" (mindset) . I think technical people that actually do stuff are given a lot more respect in countries like Germany.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=SIM;

Last...as a family guy. Yes, I get wanting to be home with the wife and kids. But I have spent a good many years working 1st and 2nd shift to make sure the wife and kids had a roof over their head, food on the table and were able to get the best education possible with some savings for possible rough times. I was the 2nd

[/QUOTE]

Remember when your main contact with your spouse was the notes you left for each other? Good times (not) Been there, didn’t pay day care,didn’t get the tee shirt.
    Last edited by Toolroomguy; 09-20-2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Edit

27. Likes SIM liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

We have had more months of $2 million sales this year than ever before. We run 24/6 some 24/7 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Yabutt !
    If your not Inside the city limits of Milwaukie….your nothing but bumfuck country hicks .
    According to some "experts" here....