Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    And you dissagree with that?
    Come on ... look at you and me!

----------------------

Friggin' Hicks I Tell Yuh!
    Ox

^^^ In the UK (Back in he day) I'm not sure that the dry tones of Cal Smith and "Country Bumkin" made it to the UK charts ?

"She said. "Hello, country bumpkin!*

How's the frost down on the pumpkin?

I've seen some sights, but man, you're somethin',

Where'd you come from country bumpkin?"

BUT later we did have the Worzels lol. (many crimes against humanity were committed in the 1970s ).

^^^ I've got a brand new combine harvester …

YouTube

^^^ I am a cyder drinker

And the immortal

YouTube

Farmer Bill's Cowman ^^^ …

Hopefully they did not wash up on US soil.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

* Interesting factoid that Lord Chesterfield in 1774 was the first one to re-frame more generic "Bumkins" as "Country Bumkins".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad some of you have a sense of humour, maybe even Douggie will laugh about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Camera:

That 940 cumbine in the vid looks like a 45 squareback, and so the UK must have had different model numbers?
    Also - the tractor in that vid (4030 maybe? But looks smaller...) didn't come out 'till '73, yet that cumbine model was discontinued after 1968.

So - point being is that they may have likely had a brand new tractor at the time that the song parody came out, but the cumbine was likely several years old a'ready, although the header auger doesn't show that it's had many acres ran through it, but maybe was repainted for the vid?

Edit:

Well, some research shows that the 940 WAS not only a current, but a new model for '73!
    Not found anything that mentions where, but I found documentation listing it in metric values as well as ones for sale in the Ukraine and Germany.
    Must have been "over there" only?
    I don;t know why they would have built two different lines of the same, unless they were simply re-badging some other brand, but ???

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

5. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

And you dissagree with that?
    Come on ... look at you and me!

----------------------

Ox
    The author of that posting also believes no good parts can from said people...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a [reasonably] free country.
    He can believe whatever he wants.

As for me, I've made a bad part before....

For all I know - they don't have "Aw - Shit's" in Milwaukee?
    (Although I know that they doo brew some schtuff that will give them to you....)

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

8. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

You know my mantra, I'll post it here again for the newbies:

Also I doo pick my nose daily, up to the second knuckle....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beaver1.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Camera:

That 940 cumbine in the vid looks like a 45 squareback, and so the UK must have had different model numbers?
    Also - the tractor in that vid (4030 maybe?) didn't come out 'till '73, yet that cumbine model was discontinued after 1968.

So - point being is that they may have likely had a brand new tractor at the time that the song parody came out, but the cumbine was likely several years old a'ready, although the header auger doesn't show that it's had many acres ran through it, but maybe was repainted for the vid?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    The Tractor definitely looks repainted. Not sure about the combine.

My very young son growing up in the Fens of Norfolk (basically "Bad lands" of the UK) , bordering Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, we had tractors going past our front door of our house I was fixing up all the time; (converted farm workers cottages, knocked into one.). Basically had to convert "Rubble" into a "Stately home" (fail).

But my son's first words after Mama, Da , and the pets, and animals etc. was Massey Ferguson, John Deer, Case, Ford and New Holland. He could identify / distinguish between the tractors rumbling past pretty well.

Interesting about the different model numbers. I'm sure there are a lot of subtle differences for UK regulations versus the USA.

In 1976 (In the UK), that would have been considered a seriously "blinged" out tractor, most farms were using much more modest affairs, and I even knew small holders that still ploughed using horses before they pulled all the hedgerows out and BIG-Agro moved in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Note my edit.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by newbreed View Post
    Hello.
    Looking for a little advice. Ive been in manufacturing my whole life. I have 2 letters of recommendation from previous supervisors, and have never been fired.5 months ago I graduated from college with an associates in machine tool technics.(2 year)At the time I felt like it was the best decision ive ever made. Ive never picked up on something so quickly and been so engaged. To say I rediscovered my passion for new information is an understatement. BUT now onto the problem. I found work on first shift at a steel iron and aluminum foundary the week after graduating. The owner told me all about the ground breaking work that was happening here and about how they do the parts no one else can figure out how to do.(I am learning every Freakin shop says this excact phrase)and holy crap did I bite on his story. im talking hook line and sinker. the only problem is he described the current state of the business, but in reality he was describing the business in the early 90s. I am currently the only person on the floor machining. I do all set ups(decently complicated fixturing), ive gotten to modify a few fixtureswith ideas ive had for them, I do a lot of manual program rewriting/editing, I do occasional programming using surfcam(much prefer mastercam)I do all cmm inspecting. im essentially a one man band. some days I do not even see him. now sure I struggle with things being inexperienced but I do not give up and don't stop until I am at solution. I feel like for only being out of school 5 months im absolutely crushing it. 2 weeks ago we went from 5 employees to 2. the work is drying up and the companies days are numbered. I have about 2 months worth of casting on the floor and after that I forsee him closing the doors. I have been getting my resume out there and looking for work pretty aggressively. what I am finding out is that what we were fed at the tech school seems to be a load of bull sh*t. the jobs are not there. no one is head hunting me. the interviews ive been to so far have been good interviews. but ive gotten the impression that either they do not believe I am taking on the work load I claim to be 5 months out of school, or I do not have enough experience to warrant being out on 1st shift. the issue is I have a 6 year old daughter and a wife. the last thing I want to do is work an off shift and onlysee them on the weekends. its simply not acceptable to me. my family means too much to me. are there any suggestions of how to obtain 1st shift work in the eau Claire and surrounding area area, or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and move to mn or work an off shift for god knows how long until I can get myself onto 1st shift? any suggestions would be great. I am getting very frustrated. machining, particularly programming both g code and cam, is the greatest passion ive ever found, but with how bleak things look around here as far as any 1st shift work goes im considering just going back to school.
    Staying with him until the doors close will be a good experience for you.

If he is treating you good stay with him and learn. You never know if he may direct you somewhere or take you with him to a new place that is good.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by newbreed View Post
    Hello.
    Looking for a little advice. Ive been in manufacturing my whole life. I have 2 letters of recommendation from previous supervisors, and have never been fired.5 months ago I graduated from college with an associates in machine tool technics.(2 year)At the time I felt like it was the best decision ive ever made. Ive never picked up on something so quickly and been so engaged. To say I rediscovered my passion for new information is an understatement. BUT now onto the problem. I found work on first shift at a steel iron and aluminum foundary the week after graduating. The owner told me all about the ground breaking work that was happening here and about how they do the parts no one else can figure out how to do.(I am learning every Freakin shop says this excact phrase)and holy crap did I bite on his story. im talking hook line and sinker. the only problem is he described the current state of the business, but in reality he was describing the business in the early 90s. I am currently the only person on the floor machining. I do all set ups(decently complicated fixturing), ive gotten to modify a few fixtureswith ideas ive had for them, I do a lot of manual program rewriting/editing, I do occasional programming using surfcam(much prefer mastercam)I do all cmm inspecting. im essentially a one man band. some days I do not even see him. now sure I struggle with things being inexperienced but I do not give up and don't stop until I am at solution. I feel like for only being out of school 5 months im absolutely crushing it. 2 weeks ago we went from 5 employees to 2. the work is drying up and the companies days are numbered. I have about 2 months worth of casting on the floor and after that I forsee him closing the doors. I have been getting my resume out there and looking for work pretty aggressively. what I am finding out is that what we were fed at the tech school seems to be a load of bull sh*t. the jobs are not there. no one is head hunting me. the interviews ive been to so far have been good interviews. but ive gotten the impression that either they do not believe I am taking on the work load I claim to be 5 months out of school, or I do not have enough experience to warrant being out on 1st shift. the issue is I have a 6 year old daughter and a wife. the last thing I want to do is work an off shift and onlysee them on the weekends. its simply not acceptable to me. my family means too much to me. are there any suggestions of how to obtain 1st shift work in the eau Claire and surrounding area area, or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and move to mn or work an off shift for god knows how long until I can get myself onto 1st shift? any suggestions would be great. I am getting very frustrated. machining, particularly programming both g code and cam, is the greatest passion ive ever found, but with how bleak things look around here as far as any 1st shift work goes im considering just going back to school.
    @newbreed if you go back to school, what would you study ? What would that plan be (Plan B) for you, be ?