Shop Sink Towels--What A Good Option - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    So in their quest to save water, they allow the spread of more bacteria ?

Quite the trade off negotiations eh ?
    Are the sinks restaurant employees use equipped the same way?

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone! This has been interesting. Now what about soap? What kind of soap are you using? Maybe I should start a new thread on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lava?

I learned at my last job that powdered soap was NOT a clean item!

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shop Sink Towels--What A Good Option

I use the "Fast Orange " hand cleaner. It comes in a container with hand pump on top, pick it up from Wal-Mart, it's good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pro Soap for the heavy dirt, Dawn for everything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This something I would have given very little thought to before coming to work at the industrial distributor. One of the many product categories we sell is of course, soap & towels/rags - AKA "Wipers" in the industry...

Anyway, one of the cool products we've seen lately, is a foaming, gritty soap. Designed so that it consumes less soapy material than the regular Gojo/Fast-Orange, yet still "scrub" like an abrasive soap, but also not clog the drains. Comes in a wall-mounted push dispenser. Deb Gritty FOAM - Heavy Duty Hand Cleanser

They also have a moist-towelette "cherry wipe" that will remove a Sharpie & Dykem** from your skin as well. Pretty darn impressive from what looks like a Baby wipe...

Not looking to pickup any business here (and I wouldn't even see a penny if I did...) but rather just sharing something that I thought was neat...

** I did not first-hand see the Dykem get removed, but my close co-worker did this in front of a customer. Said he was nervous of looking like a fool, but by-golly it removed the Dykem anyway...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quick story on shop soap...

First week at the new shop (I was 19 years old, and had a whopping 3 months under my belt crankin' handles...) and the Fast-Orange dispenser won't pump - it's getting low. No worry - I'm a clever feller - always tinkering in the garage at home, and the small-engine dealer for a couple' years before this.

So, being the clever kid I am, I whip out my trusty pocket knife, and cut the dispenser in half, leaving only the bottom portion, with the last 1" of soap in the bottom. Don't need no fancy pumper - just dip in with your fingers like a real man, and wash away...

Then, comes lunch time...

"Hey - Who cut the top off the soap...?" asks the 20 other guys in the shop.

'Turns out, they simply re-filled the pump-dispensers from the larger re-fill jugs...

Moral of the story - If there's any kids reading this, ASK before taking it upon yourself to be clever...

9. Likes mountie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by munruh View Post
    Thanks everyone! This has been interesting. Now what about soap? What kind of soap are you using? Maybe I should start a new thread on that.
    Funny you should ask.

Long years I have not been so penurious as to make my own, just buy wotever is cheap and good enough from my "usual suspects" shortlist..

HOWEVER... Kitchen, bath, or shop, I tip-in 15% to 30% of so of old skewl original brownish Listerine.

Soaps and detergents alike rinse cleaner. Cuts and scratches Just HEAL. Sinks and drains do not get stonky foul.

Active ingredient that does this is Thymol or Eucalyptol, IIRC. Similar chemistry, and good Biocides, both. Gingerol is another one.

Less-costly Pine-Sol had been tried, did not MIX well with other players.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    The best ones? The thick "Wypall" brand paper towels by a long shot. Probably not cheap, but heavy enough that one sheet is more than adequate to dry your hands, or clean any manner of machine-shop need with ease. The blue Scott towels in a box aren't bad either.

Call the people you buy your cutting tools from an ask if they carry the "Wypall" towels. You might be surprised at many of the soap/towel/cleaning products that many of them carry too.
    at $60 a roll they better be good. A bit pricey to be used as a single use hand towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    I use the "Fast Orange " hand cleaner. It comes in a container with hand pump on top, pick it up from Wal-Mart, it's good stuff.
    How often do you go through one of these containers?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We use these for the Gojo hand gritty soap:
    GOJO 721 PRO 2 Hand Soap Dispenser, 2mL, Black: Countertop Soap Dispensers: Amazon.com: Health & Personal Care
    Amazon.com: GOJO NATURAL ORANGE Pumice Hand Cleaner Refill- Industrial Cleaner, 2mL Refill for GOJO PRO TDX Dispenser (Case of 4) - 7255-4: Industrial & Scientific

The wall dispenser gets the gojo empty to the last spoonfull. I found that the pump containers always left an inch or more on the bottom. Cost works out to be about the same, but it is cleaner and more convenient.

And we use these for foaming bathroom soap. I like the motion sensor type because you don't need to get your dirty hands all over it.
    Amazon.com: GOJO 274-1 Dove Gray TFX Touch Free Dispenser with Matte Finish, 6" Width x 1.5" Height x 4" Depth: Health & Personal Care
    Amazon.com: GOJO Green Certified Foam Soap Handwash Refill - Unscented Hand Cleaner Foam, 12mL Refill for TFX Hand Soap Dispenser (Case of 2) - 5665-2: Industrial & Scientific

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIM View Post
    at $60 a roll they better be good. A bit pricey to be used as a single use hand towel.
    Yikes! I have no idea what they cost. The aforementioned shop with the Wypall paper towels, bought them on the large (24"-30" diameter?) rolls with the floor-mounted stand. Good stuff though. I'm sure you can get the same product in a smaller roll size. (I have no idea what product/size you're referring to with the 60$ price tag...) Also, they make a lot of specialty "wipers" as well - lint free, static free, etc... - Again, I have no idea what that stuff costs - not my area of focus at the day job. I can report however as a happy user from a past life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How often do you go through one of these containers?
    The larger, 1/2 gallon size I believe it is, costs about $10 at Wally World, and lasts at least a couple of months here at the cathouse...with three cats using it multiple times per day.

The Fast Orange has pumice - which is necessary for good hand cleaning, and some skin oils, to prevent drying the skin out.

ToolCat