Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Is XP above 95 or DOS3.3? Perhaps I need to upgrade some stuff.
    Everything is better than 95

Imo 2k is slightly nicer than XP but you can use rdp in xp, so if you are running a real operating system on another box, you can access windows programs remotely on the desktop. Works super with 6.5.22 Irix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a Californian it is not easy to get truckers to come into Calif, many just do not cross over the border. If I purchase a machine from outside of Calif it takes more effort to get a trucker to bring it in. They cite epa regs on needing new trucks and high fuel prices. 5 yrs ago not so much a problem. Unless of course you want to pay TOP dollar.

This shipping back up is clearly a compilation of many issues. Empty containers being one, they take up space so there is less room for fresh full ones. Others a pointing the finger at the crane operators being slow to load. drivers and eligible trucks clearly are a part of the hold up. It is just a giant shit show. Like EG said earlier- the rails should be right at the docks. Crane picks off the container and drops it on a rail car. I would think that all containers that go out of state go direct to train and are gone ASAP. In state containers would still use the trucking system as is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    OK, I read the entirety of the links you posted and I cannot figure out how you can make that statement. It isn't in there anywhere.

I do see the stuff for the one port about NEW applicants being 2014+ trucks, but that can't have any relevance on this situation.

If hundreds of thousands of containers go through there every year there is no shortage of long established trucking companies hauling.

All this bullshit aside, what big time trucking outfit is running trucks older than 2014 anyway?
    I guess you missed post #93 where I posted some of the text and link to it. Here it is again:

"SAN PEDRO, Calif. - Sept. 18, 2018 - New trucks entering service at the Port of Los Angeles and the Port of Long Beach as of Oct. 1, 2018, must be model year 2014 or newer, as the San Pedro Bay ports move forward with efforts to improve air quality and reduce the health impacts of air pollution.

As part of the Clean Trucks Program, all trucks going into marine terminals in the two ports must be on the Port Drayage Truck Registry (PDTR). The new requirement applies only to trucks registering in the PDTR for the first time. Trucks that are already registered as of Sept. 30 will be allowed to continue operating at the ports, as long as they are current on their annual dues and compliant with emission regulations set by the California Air Resources Board.

All trucks in port service are currently required to be 2007 model year or newer. About half of the trucks registered in the PDTR are at least 2010 model year or newer."

SAN PEDRO BAY PORTS READY CLEANER TRUCK RULES FOR OCT. 1 | Port of Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    It still doesn't matter because we are not talking trucks in general, we are talking drayage. Those trucks only go short distances, to take the containers from the port to another place. They aren't long-haul trucks. It's not like all the long-haul tractors on the road have to be updated, they can't go into the port anyhow. You need the effing "permit" and a bunch of TSA shit to go into a port.
    No, it sounds like you are talking about the yard goat trucks.
    This is their deffinition:
    * “Drayage Truck” means any in-use On-Road Vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating greater than 14,000 pounds that pulls a trailer or chassis used for transporting cargo (such as containerized, bulk, or break-bulk goods), operating on or transgressing through Port Property for the purpose of loading, unloading or transporting cargo, empty containers or chassis that originated from or is destined for Port Property. Drayage Truck does not include Dedicated Use Vehicles, Authorized Emergency Vehicles, Military Tactical Support Vehicles, or Yard Trucks.
    https://kentico.portoflosangeles.org...3b6c1052/SEC20

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    As a Californian it is not easy to get truckers to come into Calif ...
    I can tell you horror stories about Cincinnati to Baltimore, or Chicago to Houston, or Toronto to Ontario ... and I bet a lot of other people here can too. It's to the point where if we have a choice, anything that involves trucking goes to the end of the line. And I'm talking from ten or fifteen years back.

Have been told for quite a while now that the US has a huge shortage of truck drivers. This current situation has not helped. If it was anything as simple as too restrictive carb laws at the ports in LA, easy enough to suspend them for a year. But betcha fifty cents it ain't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are live stream cameras for port of Los Angeles:
    Well this is interesting ... clicked on Fenix at random. Maybe they are the only one but they list --

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix Terminal
    On-Dock Rail

Eight working tracks with capacity for up to three double-stack trains at a time

Overall capacity for 64 five-well double-stack railcars, plus additional capacity for 74 railcars adjacent to the terminal

Accessible to Union Pacific and Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroads
    Gates

23 entry/exit lanes
    10 dedicated all-purpose in-gates
    3 bobtail gates
    2 reversible gate lanes
    8 out-gate lanes
    10 scales for exports/outbound loads
    and then they have hours, one shift from 7:00 to 4:45 and one from 5:00 to 3:00 a.m.

And here's the livecam shot -

fenix_terminal.jpg

How many drayage trucks do we see ? I thought this was an emergency ? I know there's ships parked off the coast waiting, I've seen them. Driven past, even.

So what's the arfing deal ? Where's the fricking LA Times ? Let's get to the bottom of this. Anybody home ? hunh ? Helloooo, country's burning while you guys play the fiddle ? Anybody feel like showing up to do their job ? Somebody want to tell me about the Free Press again ?

edit: just for fun, grabbed another at random - YTI. We're really cookin' with gas here ! Show me some hustle ! Boy oh boy, this backlog'll be cleared by Monday with everyone kickin' ass like this !

yti_outgate.jpg

wtf ?

Y'all don't want to hear this but let me tell ya, if this was China and someone showed these photos to Xi Jinping, before two a.m. (it's a touch after midnight now) heads would be rolling. People would lose their jobs and retirement, by tomorrow morning trucks would be filling these lanes and ships would have containers coming off lickety-split.

This is pitiful. Absolutely pitiful.

And for once I have to agree with standardparts (put a star on the calendar), Joe Biden is a moron. And so is the mayor of LA and everyone else involved with this fiasco.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few years ago all the complaining was about imports, now a call for the government to interfere with a private enterprise to increase imports. Go figure

Dave

8. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have been looking at it all wrong so far, apparently it is the un-vaxxed that are the problem, once everyone is vaxxed all will return to normal. This was said by:

"Deputy Treasury Secretary Wally Adeyemo may have accidentally leaked the cause of America’s supply chain issues. “The reality is the only way we’re going to get to a place where we work through this transition is if everyone in America and everyone around the world gets vaccinated,” Adeyemo admitted in an interview with ABC News. Starve them out, let the dissenters suffer, and those who bought into this agenda will turn against them. Adeyemo said that the Biden Administration has already provided “the resources the American people need to make it to the other side.” Basically, everyone should give into the vaccine mandate or face the consequences. They are masking authoritarianism as utilitarianism. The vaccine has not been mandated at the federal level in the US, yet, but it is apparent that the government plans to make life as difficult as possible for those who do not obey."
    Are the US Supply Chain Disruptions Deliberate? | Armstrong Economics

He says all must be vaxxed at 5:45 here:
    Video Biden official on supply chain crunch: ‘Bumps along the way’ to reopen economy - ABC News
    This abc foootage also shows DAYTIME work being done a a snails pace in the background.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It still doesn't matter because we are not talking trucks in general, we are talking drayage. Those trucks only go short distances, to take the containers from the port to another place. They aren't long-haul trucks. It's not like all the long-haul tractors on the road have to be updated, they can't go into the port anyhow. You need the effing "permit" and a bunch of TSA shit to go into a port.

My guess is, not enough people want to do it. Bunch of extra costs, no extra money. Underpaid, nasty work.

Basically they've legislated themselves into a labor shortage, but the main cause is not the stupid port requirements. They could easily scrounge up enough late model tractors for this. They don't have anyone to drive them.

Story is bullshit, I'll put a few bucks behind that.
    We have a lot of the same thing in Michigan with school bus drivers and teachers. They privatized a lot of those jobs and that was supposed to fix it but it did just the opposite. The private company cut wages and now they are having trouble getting drivers and substitute teachers. Go figure.

Evidently the law of supply and demand now also applies to human resources and not just product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a Californian it is not easy to get truckers to come into Calif, many just do not cross over the border. If I purchase a machine from outside of Calif it takes more effort to get a trucker to bring it in. They cite epa regs on needing new trucks and high fuel prices. 5 yrs ago not so much a problem. Unless of course you want to pay TOP dollar.

This shipping back up is clearly a compilation of many issues. Empty containers being one, they take up space so there is less room for fresh full ones. Others a pointing the finger at the crane operators being slow to load. drivers and eligible trucks clearly are a part of the hold up. It is just a giant shit show. Like EG said earlier- the rails should be right at the docks. Crane picks off the container and drops it on a rail car. I would think that all containers that go out of state go direct to train and are gone ASAP. In state containers would still use the trucking system as is.
    I diSTINKtly remember my first visit to L.A. in 1989. When I flew in I noticed that the sky was an odd color. Nothing like I'd ever seen with my own eyes before. It was smog. I've been back since and the air is much better but then if you like smog you can lobby to have any old semi or car on the road belching smoke and pollutants. Enjoy your new smog.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Deputy Treasury Secretary Wally Adeyemo may have accidentally leaked the cause of America’s supply chain issues.
    Could you please stop it with the wacko horseshit ? There's a problem. It's NOT what any of these clowns say, as we can see in just two or three actual ovservations of physical facts. So maybe someone could actually look into this and do something ? Like the mayor of Los Angeles and maybe someone in the dep't of transportation ?

Another very real factor I have not seen anyone mention is Customs. What's going on there ? I personally know that many other branches of government are currently dysfunctional.

And forget it with the whining about shots. Just get the fucking things. You people and your bullshit are making life miserable. Esad. Just hurry up about the d part and get the f out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could you please stop it with the wacko horseshit ? There's a problem. It's NOT what any of these clowns say, as we can see in just two or three actual ovservations of physical facts. So maybe someone could actually look into this and do something ? Like the mayor of Los Angeles and maybe someone in the dep't of transportation ?

Another very real factor I have not seen anyone mention is Customs. What's going on there ? I personally know that many other branches of government are currently dysfunctional.

And forget it with the whining about shots. Just get the fucking things. You people and your bullshit are making life miserable. Esad. Just hurry up about the d part and get the f out of the way.
    Haven't you heard. The shots don't work. They are just a way to siphon money from working Americans to big pharms. I've heard it a million times from the ***** **** ******"*.

But then there's this personal story that I can relate. My wife's best friend since 7th grade and her hubby are in their late 60's. They both got covid a week or so ago and so did their 37 year old daughter and three of her four children. The only ones that have been vaccinated are the oldsters. There were pretty sick but not to the point of needing to be hospitalized. Their 37 year old daughter spent a couple of weeks in the hospital and is now home and on 24/7 oxygen. She says that she if very weak but slowly improving. I know the daughter and she is normally the picture of health. Not overweight and in the prime of her life. She said she has never been nearly so sick in her life. She also said she was scheduled to get vaccinated a couple of days after she got sick which seems to me like it was about 5 months late. Three of the four grandkids had it and about the time they were getting better the fourth grand got it. I'm just hopeful that they all recover 100%.

And I may have mentioned this already but we were in Vegas a little over a week ago and probably 75% of the people walking the strip were masked and 99% in our hotel. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I probably wouldn't have believed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Deputy Treasury Secretary Wally Adeyemo may have accidentally leaked the cause of America’s supply chain issues.
    Nothing happens on purpose with some people. Everything needs to be some elaborate conspiracy theory. How sad it must be living like that. Deny reality and believe every lie you hear. And it seems to be spreading.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everything needs to be some elaborate conspiracy theory. How sad it must be living like that.
    Trump cult anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
    Trump cult anyone?
    Looks like you are starting to get it. Keep up the good work. Any word on those six steel mills that your cult god told us that were being built in the USA thanks to him? Didn't think so. Just one of the over 30,000 documented lies from your cult leader.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Looks like you are starting to get it. Keep up the good work. Any word on those six steel mills that your cult god told us that were being built in the USA thanks to him? Didn't think so. Just one of the over 30,000 documented lies from your cult leader.
    Holy Carp.

I can't believe you are that easy to tweek.

Here's another one for you:
    Condi Rice for president......think about it.

I WOULD join her cult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Y'all don't want to hear this but let me tell ya, if this was China and someone showed these photos to Xi Jinping, before two a.m. (it's a touch after midnight now) heads would be rolling. People would lose their jobs and retirement, by tomorrow morning trucks would be filling these lanes and ships would have containers coming off lickety-split.

Well that's all nice and good but OUR President gave the man responsible for the Department of Transportation two months off with pay in the midst of a supply/shipping crisis so he could assist his husband take care of their new babies.

Now c'mon...how nice is that! Your Mr. Xi should take lessons from our Big Guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm trying to figure out why anyone gives a flying F___ about the backlog of cheap chinese crap from the country that gave us covid? Light the damn containers on fire!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Self-driving trucks can't come soon enough. It seems they would be perfect for drayage use...not so sure about the Interstates yet.

Containers coming off ships all go different places, a primary reason for the intermediate stacking. There may be groups of containers stacked together on-ship, but a large percentage are one-container shipments.

Believe it or not, the lion's share of containers hauled away from LA are destined for Chicago--which seems to be container-distribution central for North America.

Other double-stack container trains go to the southeast, the mid-west, and the northwest.

BNSF (owned by Warran Buffett, and the best ran US railroad) and Union Pacific are the two Class 1's that serve the ports of LA and Long Beach. They make good money hustling those containers back and forth between southern California and the rest of the country...

ON EDIT: On topic: I don't see much of a future for repair shops at all. Nobody to fill the pipeline, too expensive to get set up.

What will large companies do that depend on small repair shops? Have their own in-house shop I guess....or ship their rush job halfway across the country (world?) to one of the few capable shops left that can do the job.

ToolCat
    Last edited by cnctoolcat; 10-23-2021 at 05:14 PM.