Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Income taxes are still due April 15th
    Building taxes as well.
    Electricity, sewer, water, gas, bills are all still due.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm GD sick and tired of people running down my country, America, Whatever we do has been damn good enough for the last 250 years or so.
    Maybe you want to think about that statement a little bit.

What has America really accomplished since the end of WW2 that they didn't botch in the end?

Yeah, built an automotive empire only to have to import our own brand.
    Built a space station only to give it to Russia and China then have to pay them to bum a ride.
    Managed to FK up the best selling aircraft in the world (Boeing 737).

good enough
    That right there is USA's biggest problem. When I began machining in my grandfathers machine shop in the early 80's my grandfather told me "There is no such thing as close enough, It's either right or it's wrong". I have lived by that rule 100% since the day he said it, and the one thing that will guarantee I have a bad day is to hear one of my people say it. I even have a banner in the shop in China that has that in five different languages today.

I really wish people would get outside of USA and see the worlds perspective on America.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple thousand ? They could test them in an hour if they were serious.

What has America really accomplished since the end of WW2 that they didn't botch in the end?
    Who invented CNC ?

4. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post

I really wish people would get outside of USA and see the worlds perspective on America.

I was to Canada last week.
    No troubles there.

???

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

6. Likes g-coder05, david n liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post

I'm GD sick and tired of people running down my country, America, Whatever we do has been damn good enough for the last 250 years or so.
    that is the attitude that f'cks up the world. None of us own or are responsible for every person or happening in the country we're in so we bloody well shouldn't defend it if its wrong. Criticize all the shits heads and idiots and morons and all the stupid shit they do in my country (you'll be a busy man) and I could care less, if its not me, its no skin off my ego.

Every person should criticize what deserves criticism, regardless what side of an imaginary line its on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we could make it to the end of summer if we lay everyone off

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I even have a banner in the shop in China that has that in five different languages today.

Yu'know - you two guys waving the China is great flags should maybe consider that China has brought about a new pandemic of some sorts at the rate of about 1 every cpl years it seems lately?

Currently it's this...
    Last year (current) it is some version of [actual] Swine Flu that apparently has all but wiped out the hogs in the country.
    Sars
    Bird Flu
    whatever else I'm forgetting.... I know there's at least one more recently....

good grief!

I haven't heard of any big health concerns come from anywhere else the world over, but boy - China sure seems to want to corner that market too!

(India has just as many people)

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

10. Likes Garwood, empwoer, SND, West-7, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Last year (current) it is some version of [actual] Swine Flu that apparently has all but wiped out the hogs in the country.
    Umm, swine flu is from the US. Mexico, actually, but came up through Texas and headed north. Better drop that one

There's some really dangerous ones from Australia, too, but they are not so common. And India has had several outbreaks of a virus that's 75% fatal.

john.k turned me on to these ...

Not that I think you are totally wrong, but the press doesn't seem to talk much about the others. Until john.k's post I hadn't heard of them either.

And I think g-coder05 doesn't like China that much

12. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    As far as I know, you can't get a virus from a machining center

A friend in Alameda told me he wasn't allowed into his own office today. What ? It's a one-man place.

wtf is wrong with people ? You can't catch a virus from a desk, a machining ccenter, or a bandsaw. If I hadda little shop in the US I'd be in there working my ass off right now. No distractions

Then shut your fucking mouth with the constant string of stupid lies about other countries. Turn about is fair play, asshole.
    Wherever ignorance predominates, vulgarity invariably asserts itself.

You are mad at me. Does this mean that I don't get to shave your mother's back anymore?

14. Likes Trueturning, Scottl, SND, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who invented CNC ?
    Remember, I said "Botched" as in screwed up something great. Fanuc is a prime example. Most high end machines in USA today are ran by a Japanese control invented in America. Lets see, Siemens is German, Heidenhain is German, Fanuc is Japanese, Does America make any big name controllers anymore? Mazak, I think that's Jap too.

Yu'know - you two guys waving the China is great flags should maybe consider that China has brought about a new pandemic of some sorts at the rate of about 1 every cpl years it seems lately?
    I would never say China is great, In fact I actually despise it. They hate anyone but themselves, Rude, Self entitled, ill mannered showoffs. I just happen to be stuck in limbo getting distanced from there. Mattel is my biggest customer for injection and die tools and they have a strict policy that they will only purchase from companies inside China (Hey, What a concept, Lets keep our work here) Even though my prices out of Vietnam are cheaper! Sure, I could walk away but the money will just go to some Chinese prick.

It does suck that most plagues come that that Sht hole but nothing I can do about it.

And I think g-coder05 doesn't like China that much
    Spot on as usual. But I'll take their money anytime I get a chance.

16. Likes Ox, Trueturning, empwoer, ratbldr427 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple thousand ? They could test them in an hour if they were serious.
    Samples can be taken rapidly. Reliable results don't come as fast.

Yet.

Who invented CNC ?
    A Swiss national of French ethnicity generally gets the credit for the "eureka" moment.
    And it wudda been just plain "NC" actually' 'Puters were still glycogen-fueled, early days.

Took a long time before it was adopted outside of the textiles industry, though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Writing isn't the problem. But at my age, condition, and flavour of give-a-damn?

I'd LOVE it if someone could show me how to raise the energy level to to where I COULD "get angry".

Kinda like the rush one got from good sex wasn't it?

Who TF remembers .... either one...
    Well Thermite there will always be members here which will show up and get you going pretty good. Now they are satisfied just like when a junkyard dog is given a new bone or the snake setting a checkpoint for the next ambush from the tall grass. We all expect that such personalities shall show up and straighten everyone out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Every person should criticize what deserves criticism, regardless what side of an imaginary line its on.
    F**k that. Too DAMNED much like work.. and "unproductive overhead" even so.

Just delegate it!

We gots GBC to perpetually stir shit and criticize at dreadful-boring snail's pace, the one end, and CMOS/Goldbrick in a perpetual fury runnin' his demented keyboard at warp-speed on the other end?

Very fortunate community, we are. Well-blessed, even.

Rest of us can just go TF back to doin' what NEEDS doin'. Or procrastinated over.

Up to me, I'd go off and take a nap.

Just did, actually.

That part WAS "up to me", y'see.

You got longer arms? Charge on! Go head and do sumthin' outright grand and historical!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally I am hoping to buy more equipment now that everyone is freaked out. Auction prices are low (ones that haven't been canceled or internet only ones) I hope to capitalize on this panic when it finally ends.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21. Likes Ox, West-7 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...Lets see, Siemens is German, Heidenhain is German, Fanuc is Japanese, Does America make any big name controllers anymore? Mazak, I think that's Jap too.
    I get your point, but last time I checked Haas is still selling a few machines here and there...

Lots of us Americans get out of the country- it's just getting back in that can be hard sometimes.

As far as the shutdown, I'm pretty well capitalized, and have a fair backlog (but smaller than last year).

I could hold out for about a year if I had to. Also just got word that I will be getting a large rework job- some parts from China, of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    (Who invented CNC?)

A Swiss national of French ethnicity generally gets the credit for the "eureka" moment.
    And it wudda been just plain "NC" actually' 'Puters were still glycogen-fueled, early days.

Took a long time before it was adopted outside of the textiles industry, though.
    I had the opportunity early in my career to have a long sit down with John Parsons - credited by Wikipedia, the US Patent Office, and John himself as the first to apply Numerical Control in a significant way to machine tools. From NC, CNC was a pretty obvious step IMO.

John T. Parsons - Wikipedia

Those years ago, Parsons credited US government support for much of his progress.

24. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who invented CNC ?
    Good question since the first letter is computer that eliminates looms and early NC control.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Good question since the first letter is computer that eliminates looms and early NC control.
    Bob
    A "computer" is just a high-speed idiot running on electricity rather than Glycogen and Oxygen.

Meat and blood idiots got distracted by sporting events, stupid politics, average sex, "fast" food, BAD beer, itchy arseholes and such too easily, or we'd not have had to BOTHER with all the damned overhead.

Comes to Microsoft? Yet, today, many would rather just warsh their ass more often.

Cheaper that way if nothing else.

More reliable as to reducing pain and irritation as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So if things go south..................I can go for quite some time..................shop is debt free............I have a pile of work in process that customers need, more coming in too(for now)..............good pile of cash on hand. I could go 12-18 months depending on how tight or loose I want my belt. Keep my chin up, help friends and family if and when I can.............we'll all look back and realize how much stronger we've become.

Isaiah 26:3-4

28. Likes Jashley73, SND, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I get your point, but last time I checked Haas is still selling a few machines here and there...
    I left the Haas control out because that's a bit controversial. The Display is made in Chongqing China and the internals are mostly made in Shenyang. Haas claims to "Build" the control in Oxnard so I guess where it's made is up for debate.

Damn, just realized I'm also to blame for getting technology to a foreign country myself. I was on the panel with Gene Haas, Barry Rodgers, and Jon Ross that was setup to remove restrictions on American made 5 axis CNC to China. Dealing with U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security, and Department of Homeland Defence is an absolute nightmare.

STAR welcomes a new 5-axis machine tool to our family

30. Likes ratbldr427 liked this post