What's new
What's new

On site C N C training, what are you paying?

I called the local Miltronics dealer for a few hours of training as I have hired my son part time to program and run my miltronics ML 20 lathe and he needed to get up to speed on it. They sent a guy out, got here at 8:00
AM, here till a bit past 11:00 AM. The time was well spent and Jim learned a lot and is now making good parts. Then I got the bill....700.00! Are you kidding me! I figured 3-400.00 max. At least they dropped the charge for "shop supplies".... after all the guy did not even have a pencil and paper, I provided that. Seems to me that I got hosed, or is that what it costs now days.

I would say a fair price would be what they would charge for a factory service call. 15 years ago if you were close to a factory service office a service call from Fanuc was $295.00 + $95.00 an hour. So even though it seems high $700 could be what most manufacturer reps would charge for 3 hours on site training.

Could you have got him to the same point in 3 hours? What would you have not got done while you were teaching him. Or what was the value of what you did while he was being trained. if you didn't have to stop production to do it yourself it didn't cost you the whole $700 dollars. The thing I like best about your whole post is where you said you hired you son to program and run your lathe you are fortunate to able to do that and you are not only helping yourself you are helping him and you are investing in his future as well as yours. $700 don't sound too bad.

How far he have to go to get there. All our factory service or training is portal to portal. It gets cheaper the longer he stays.

I agree with Scraper. If 3 hours of training enabled him to make good parts then you should get a pretty good return on your investment. I have hired students straight out of tech school, with AS degrees in CNC machining and they could make good parts without lots of help and training. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal.

Brian

I'd say the $300 - $400 expected was about right. You simply forgot that they have to get to and from your facility and they need to get paid for that. The time to argue about price is before they perform the service. If they quoted you a price, they should stand frim on it, but I don't think that's what happens. The old "assumption" part will get you ever time.

In my experience a real price for a tech whether they are training or repairing on cnc stuff is $1000/day. That includes travel. We are 2-3 hours from any airport that is easy to get to. You did mention a local guy, so I would have expected somewhere around $100/hr plus expenses. How local was he?

Another point is the value of the final service, did you get more than $700 worth? I truly believe in training especially on cnc machines and programming. Even at $1k a day, it can make that up in a few weeks of savings/productivity easily. It does depend greatly on the trainer and company, if neither knows what they are doing, then it is a waste. I have be fortunate enough to have very good training in the past. As mentioned though, it is easier to choke down when you are expecting that up front.

Jason

It could be worse. A friend of mine paid $1300 for an Okuma service tech to eventually stumble across a blown fuse in a current model Okuma lathe control. Since then, my buddy still can't fix a control, but you can bet your ass he can find a blown fuse all by his lonesome self :D

Our independent guy charged $125 an hour. 4 hour minimum. Plus mileage. Seems there may have been a travel rate as well.

At any rate, it definitely ain't cheap. But you typically get what you pay for. I think on site is the best training. Your machine, your control, your fixtures, your parts. Nothing generic about it.

I find a lot of people waste time & money by not having their crap ready when the instructor gets there. Also, it seems the instructor can train 2-4 people as easy as he can train 1. And often times you'll get more questions that way, which will lead to more discussion, which will lead to explanations and more understanding. Really easier to get your money back when 4 guys are trained vs. just 1.

At any rate, it definitely ain't cheap. But you typically get what you pay for. I think on site is the best training. Your machine, your control, your fixtures, your parts. Nothing generic about it.

I find a lot of people waste time & money by not having their crap ready when the instructor gets there. Also, it seems the instructor can train 2-4 people as easy as he can train 1. And often times you'll get more questions that way, which will lead to more discussion, which will lead to explanations and more understanding. Really easier to get your money back when 4 guys are trained vs. just 1.

I agree with this, many times I (as the trainer) will show up to do some specific process training that they were going to have set-up, but due to various things the operators decide to run a batch of parts on 2nd shift rather than get ready and then pay me to wait while they finish the run and do the setup we needed. I prefer training 2-3 most of the time. That seems to be the best qty for maximum benefit.

When I have taken classes for Gibbs programming it has cost $800 for 8, 3 hour classes at their facility, at night. I believe they charge $800 for a day of training at your facility....it might be $1000

Blimey... I better raise my training charges if they can get away with that much

Boris

<<making an invoice out for 4 yrs apprentice training at $300/hr :smoking:

Back