What's new
What's new

Small Shop Question

jhwatts2010

Plastic
I have a small shop in my basement. Its fairly simple, I have a lathe, mill, cnc router, some fairly nice welding gear, small brake shear role, descent inspection equipment, etc. I'm stewing over purchasing a new mill. I have everything already bought to convert it to a CNC. I'm a little hesitant on the purchase because I really only have one client. This client is a small business that I do some actual production work form them on my CNC. I have done work for them for almost two years. I wish I had a few more clients. I have been trying but no luck. I'm really looking for suggestions on how I might grab another client or two. I've floated a few business cards around town and added post to craigslist. I'm looking for suggestions on how I might get another client or two. What are some ways to get in touch with local businesses and ask if they need any work done. Does anybody have any tried and true methods to do this? I'm not trying to get high production, high precision aerospace work but just some general machine work.

In my head I'm thinking there has to be some small companies in the area that need some parts made. I mean with all of the supply chain disruptions, I know some local business has to have a need to have a small shop fill in some supply chain gaps.

Any suggestions?

We are actually looking for new shops to handle some overflow from our current workload. If you are interested in getting prints to quote, please email me at [email protected]. I hope I can help you out!

Waylon Jones

Sure, go after work!

But, having done it in the early '90's, don't convert to CNC, buy used. The used market now has running machines for less than the materials for a quality conversion. (Not true in the '90's.)

Your basement access is a big factor....

To get new customers you need to get out and hustle. You have to be a salesman, you won't make it unless you are.

Check out small shops still run by their founder. Sometimes they'll help a newb just the way they might have been helped when they were starting.

Check the maintenance/repair departments of some bigger local businesses, they may need help with repairs, etc. With your machinery list you probably won't get past purchasing agents for production work, but maintenance people aren't so fussy about you not having the latest and greatest in CNC.

Check your local tooling houses. Tell them you're looking for work. They tend to know who is busy.

I got my first big money customer through a screw machine shop. I was doing a few onesie-twosie jobs for them that didn't fit their screw machine business model. They had a customer who had runs of dirt simple parts, but he always needed them typically in a day or two. They asked me if I wanted the customer, not my dream type work, but profitable enough to fund my first CNC machine after 6 months. As I bought more CNC's I was able to pursue my favorite work, engineering prototypes.

In one sense I was lucky to be in Seattle where there's no shortage of my type work. In my opinion location is an important factor, it there isn't a thriving manufacturing base in your area it's going to be hard.

Yep, I also agree. Be a complimentary source to the production shops. They don't want to pull a guy off a production machine to whittle on a BP or a lathe.
It has also been mentioned in the past here, but if you are a 1 person shop, you look to do work one tier above you, 10-30 person shops. A 50+ person shop will likely drown you in work, or have a small model shop or toolroom as part of their business model, therefore doing the onesie-twosie jobs themselves.

This gets asked a lot, and one tried and true option is your own product. The pros are that your lack of shop size is irrelevant, and you can work around your schedule. That's assuming you also work full time, so it's hard to do quick turn work.

And used CNC is a bargain right now, I wouldn't even contemplate a conversion.

I’m betting the conversion option is because he works in a basement. Needs something light to drag down there?

On that vein, when you say CNC or CNC conversion, are you looking at little hobby mill CNC conversions, or a 3000lb plus machine?
If your going industrial CNC I agree with above. Buy used, proven and good to go right away. If your in it to make money you need to get to product right away. It’s to easy to spend all your time “getting going” and not actually producing/selling/getting roi.
That’s the difference between a business and a hobby in the end.

Sure, go after work!

But, having done it in the early '90's, don't convert to CNC, buy used. The used market now has running machines for less than the materials for a quality conversion. (Not true in the '90's.)

Your basement access is a big factor....

I'm currently in my basement but a large building available. I just have got my stuff out there yet. I've already bought all of the controllers, servos, software, ball screws, etc. I'm really committed at this point. I'm curious to see how it works out.

I'm currently in my basement but a large building available. I just have got my stuff out there yet. I've already bought all of the controllers, servos, software, ball screws, etc. I'm really committed at this point. I'm curious to see how it works out.

Well, the combined collective wisdom here says that it's going to cost you a lot more time, money, and frustration than just buying one that works out of the box.

But hey, I like to learn things by doing them wrong for myself too, so I'm not going to knock you for it.

Your like a xometry kinda vendor?
I’d be interested in something like that but I’m in northern Canada :/

Nothing like that. We are a CNC machine shop that is currently over capacity with a few large contracts. We are looking for help with current repeat orders to move out indefinitely. We have a few partners in Canada so that wouldn't be a problem. Shoot me an email with your capabilities and I'll see what we have that could fit your shop.

[email protected]

Nothing like that. We are a CNC machine shop that is currently over capacity with a few large contracts. We are looking for help with current repeat orders to move out indefinitely. We have a few partners in Canada so that wouldn't be a problem. Shoot me an email with your capabilities and I'll see what we have that could fit your shop.

[email protected]

I'm watching, and waiting for something that would be a good fit. So far, no dice. I do like the way you have that all set up though!

I'm watching, and waiting for something that would be a good fit. So far, no dice. I do like the way you have that all set up though!

Thank you! Give me a call if you want to discuss what would be a good fit. We have quite a bit that we are sending out and I'm sure we can find something for you. Email me and I'll shoot you my number.

One thing you should do, is keep up with the business cards, they are a LONG lived form of advertisement. I've gotten calls on business cards I've left YEARS before and forgotten about!
A website is a good thing and not that expensive anymore. Also a grasshopper 1-800 number is only $10/month and works well.

For getting work, one thing I always did, was get in my car and DRIVE. I would bring a stack of business cards, a few bottles of water, some breath mints, a bag lunch and stop in every industrial park you come across 1 hour in any direction. Dress neatly but NOT fancy. Dockers and a polo shirt. You're a machine shop, not a stock broker. Hair combed. Neat clean shoes. You're there to help the customer, to meet his needs with VALUE and that is what you are selling. VALUE. You're selling YOU. OK, probably a bad joke in there, but you get it.

I did this twice a month and I ALWAYS came back with work. Always.

Make phone calls. Take pictures of jobs you've done. Start cooking the internet for companies that may farm out work. Far more do, than you think.

And you should be "committed" if you continue with it too.

Sell the Schidt that you have accumulated and buy ANYTHING else!
This aint the 90's anymore.

A retrofit on anything less than 20,000# is for naught!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well, the combined collective wisdom here says that it's going to cost you a lot more time, money, and frustration than just buying one that works out of the box.

But hey, I like to learn things by doing them wrong for myself too, so I'm not going to knock you for it.

And you should be "committed" if you continue with it too.

Sell the Schidt that you have accumulated and buy ANYTHING else!
This aint the 90's anymore.

A retrofit on anything less than 20,000# is for naught!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OP..............ya came here for some advice......................listen to Ox and the Teach.........................

I've seen someone do this. You're dead right. Even he admits it was a mistake.

But it's always a good reinforcement to make these mistakes personally so I think the OP should have at it. Just take lots of pix...

For production/paying work, there is no fucking way I'd have any machine that didn't have an auto tool changer and good luck doing a reliable one of those on a roll your own basis.

PDW

(In fact I have a similar DIY CNC mill in mind but purely as a learning aid/toy, NOT to make money, and I'm not planning on using it on anything except plastics & aluminium, with pretty loose tolerances).

Time is money. And you cannot (oven) finance time at a nice low rate. Food for thought

I sold a haas tm1 to a guy, was building a mill from the ground up (steel/epoxy compound) has been working on it a long time. (Years I belivec l, you know projects)

Took some talking but in the end he understood it was gonna take likely years more to finish before he ever began his product prototypes.
A few months after buying he had some well machines prototype samples of his product.

Let’s be honest. He would have never got it even started if he continued the diy route. Now he’s close to initial market offering 6 months later.

Again, it’s hard to buy time.

I don't run production, but repairs, and maybe 4 to 6 parts.
The best places for me seem to be city & county maintenance shops. Water, street, parks. & sewer departments.
Also, some of the tractor sales\ service places.
There are some parts that farmers can't wait for 3 + weeks to ship.
This may be totally out of your type of work.

Back