So here I am 52, no children, what to do with my stuff - Page 9
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    One gets to know just how big a pile of toys that is when he spends most of a year selling them off then loads the rest on a trailer and hauls it 1000 miles. I should have moved every couple of years rather than staying in one spot for 30+.

Been in the same house for 44 years. Have some boxed up crap from my folks house when they passed and boxed up crap from in-laws house when they passed. My wife passed in January and Good God!! she has a lot of crap! Emelda Marcos caliber collection of shoes, more clothes than Sears and Penny's. Can't give away the clothes right now because of the pandemic.

Business will be 43 come Juneteenth. Lots of crap there.

2. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT OP: [For instance, today I went to work around 9am, and I quit at about noon when I had made about $1300.00 ]

Seems odd to just walk away from such good income...Perhaps 300K if you coud keep up that rate...seems some enterprising young person would love to have your position...Agree, I have ground at over 1000 a day but just once in a while.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Seems odd to just walk away from such good income...Perhaps 300K if you coud keep up that rate...seems some enterprising young person would love to have your position...Agree, I have ground at over 1000 a day but just once in a while."

Experiance has shown me that this type of work is not something that just anyone can pick up, especially if they are like most folks and cannot add 2+2 and come up with 4 most of the time.

We are meeting more "work oriented" folks here in Idaho than we had around us in California, so time will tell.

5. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First thing is to get in shape, if you are not that way now...You may have 30 years to live and enjoy life,
    Next discover what you enjoy and do that more often.
    Are you taking some of you work activity with you?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    First thing is to get in shape, if you are not that way now...You may have 30 years to live and enjoy life,
    Next discover what you enjoy and do that more often.
    Are you taking some of you work activity with you?
    Round is a "shape", actually we have been dropping some lbs and we are both pretty active although this moving has been kicking our asses making our days start late and end early.
    I like motorcycle rides through mountains and this has been a good jumping off point for me for years, now I don't have to ride across Nevada to start and with a river for a west boundry to our property there is no reason not to learn to fish. I've done a fair bit of fishing in the ocean off the coast of Alaska but the fish we catch here will look like the bait we use there.
    We have more work than two people can do easilly in a 5 day week, we are changing how we do some of it and bringing way more machines than two of us can run to minimize setups. We have cut way back on advertising what we makea few years ago to keep the workload more manageable.

8. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    We are sneaking up on a year and a half since I was last here, we sold off a huge lot of stuff and are closing in on the last of what we are going to move which still leaves way too much. We talked some with an attorney about putting a will down on paper but we still wish there were some way the shop/business would have some kind of functional value rather than pieced off at a public auction. It looks like what is left when we are done is going to the humane society, ought to make a pack of happy dogs and cats I recon.
    I always figured if I amass enough wealth in my life to need to give it away, most of it's going to go to saving dogs and cats... nothing wrong with that, bud, just means you are a good person.

Since you've already sold off most of your stuff, what about transitioning your product to someone else? I am sure there are plenty of folks out there that have manufacturing capacity and would love the opportunity to take over an established product? The hard part is getting someone you click with and can work with fruitfully, but the nice part is you can step back as little or as much as you want, when you want, and still reap the income while they "buy you out" over a period of time. Have you considered that route?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We will keep it going a few years and if someone comes along we will talk about it for sure. We sold off a lot of stuff but we just finished our 9th load from Ca to Idaho with her 18 foot cargo trailer and my 34 foot gooseneck flatbed, most loads somewhere between too heavy and way the F__k too heavy and at this point it seems there are at least 4 more. Our little shop once supported 12 families and the local tax man, as well as our interests. Life changed, my folks are gone, her family left ot passed, we are heading up to Idaho and learn about travel, fishing and wearing tires off of motorcycles. We are too young for social security, medicare and the rest so we have a few years left to make parts so perhaps that ambitious soul will surface. Otherwise it seems some dogs and cats will get an upgrade. I started this post thinking that when we are gone there will be a nice house, shop and property, 10 acres of flat riverfront at this point, a viable business and still a bunch of toys. We can't be the only ones to realize this is where we are and it would seem silly to leave it to the state. We have had several people wanting us to adopt them, some wanting the business etc. but in the back of my mind I keep thinking about all of this sold off at action for pennies on a dollar, I guess I wont care at that point anyhow, and I am becoming less interested now.

11. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    You guys have it all wrong.

The rule of the game is, "He who dies with the most toys wins".......
    I prefer "He who dies with the most projects wins".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    I prefer "He who dies with the most projects wins".
    I tell folks all the time, I have enough projects started to keep my wife's next four husbands busy, likely the first one will do nothing but haul off junk.

14. Likes kenton liked this post