What's new
What's new

Something to replace outllook, free or paid email app.

1953chevB

Cast Iron
Hi Folks

I have Microsoft 365 and I hate it but really like outlook and calendar.
any one using an other email apps and have any recommendations.
I replaced Microcrap with Office Org but no email app
any recommendations,

Thanks In Advance

have you had any issues with thunderbird?
is it still supported?
Thanks

Thundermug lacks features SeaMonkey MUA was far better at, but it works OK if you have only a small count of email identities and not a huge message count or storage ration.

And Thundermug is still current, even on the "minority" unices.

=====

loki2# pkg_info thunderbird
Information for inst:thunderbird-68.1.0p0

Comment:
Mozilla e-mail, rss and usenet client

Description:
Mozilla Thunderbird is a redesign of the integrated Mozilla App-Suite
mail component. Its goal is to leverage much of the existing
functionality of that product to produce a stand-alone mail application
that is simple and extensible.

Maintainer: Landry Breuil <[email protected]>

WWW: Thunderbird — Make Email Easier. — Thunderbird

=====

I do still keep a "Claws mail" (Sylpheed) install current and configured as instant fallback, though.

=====

loki2# pkg_info claws-mail
Information for https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.6/packages/amd64/claws-mail-3.17.4.tgz
Information for https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.6/packages/amd64/claws-mail-3.17.4-ldap.tgz

Comment:
mail and news client

Description:
Claws Mail is an email client (and news reader), based on GTK+, featuring

Quick response
Graceful, and sophisticated interface
Easy configuration, intuitive operation
Abundant features
Extensibility

The appearance and interface are designed to be familiar to new users
coming from other popular email clients, as well as experienced users.
Almost all commands are accessible with the keyboard.

The messages are managed in the standard MH format, which features fast
access and data security. You'll be able to import your emails from almost
any other email client, and export them just as easily.

Lots of extra functionality, like an RSS aggregator, calendar, or
laptop LED handling, are provided by extra plugins.

Claws Mail is distributed under the GPL.

=====

Claws (and not only) have those extras, but....

For workflow and schedule coordination a totally separate toolset is better than anything fully integrated with the primary MUA, Win-serf or real and secure-able OS, either one.

No issue moving things into and out of email anyway. Common need, well covered already. "F1" key and RTFM if you are"in it", "man <appname>" on the box or on Go ogle if not already running it. Or visit the devel websites, blogs, and periodic published reviews and comparison articles.

There are usually about FIFTY MUA reasonably current, any given year, SMTP protocol alone, half of them Win-Only, the rest cross-platform, and differentiated largely by features emphasis for specialized use and whether anyone does any work "special" enough to be worth paying a fee for.

"Collaborative" teamworking, OTOH, needs something shared that is NOT on any one single player's personal workstation, has routine third party preservation, back up, recovery, security team minding it, etc. Corporate VPN was hard-required for visiting family whilst execs at C&W, Exxon, IBM, HP, ATT, McKinsey, Swiss banks, etc..

A "pubic cloud" for peons with less money and less at-risk. Those can be decent. Or akin to making yer cawfee out of a toilet bowl in a busy bus terminal full of drug addicts. That's why I said "pubic" rather than "public".

If it is not worth that effort to secure, you probably don't really NEED anything more complicated than a few pre-built lists of affinity/family/club/customer/supplier multiple-recipient email addresses for the odd "broadcast". A script in "tools" can automagically relay incoming to a list, mini-list-server style. Have a care bots do not find and exploit it though - or you become a spam relay.

Proper list software is HEAVILY armoured to prevent that, Not all MUA are even close to their level of weaponry!

Simple broadcast, though, ANY MUA (Message User Agent) can do in its sleep , even if by feeding it a simple text file to wake it up FROM "sleep" and have it do the do!

:D

eM client is what I have settled on for my windows machines. Replicates all of the actually usual functionality of outlook and addresses some of the glaring omissions in outlook, like a unified inbox.

Free version is limited to two accounts and some other minor limitations, but is pretty full featured and does not try and push you to the paid version if you don't need it. Paid version is inexpensive if you do need it.

Actively developed with frequent new feature releases unlike most of the real alternatives (like TB).

eM client is what I have settled on for my windows machines. Replicates all of the actually usual functionality of outlook and addresses some of the glaring omissions in outlook, like a unified inbox.

Free version is limited to two accounts and some other minor limitations, but is pretty full featured and does not try and push you to the paid version if you don't need it. Paid version is inexpensive if you do need it.

Actively developed with frequent new feature releases unlike most of the real alternatives (like TB).

Meahh. "Actively developed" could just as easily read "still playing catch-up", or "extending bloatware" too. Lots of stuff has been "promoted past its level of competence"

All the Old Skewl MUA had a TON of features few ever even made any use of.

As a sometimes devel of SMTP stuff, I DID do, so was irritated that Thundermug was a skunt DOWN version of SeaMonkey Suite's MUA. Even so, it was the heavier lifting capability more than the fine details of exotics goodies missed.

Sanity chack, though.

SMTP rolls-up - eventually - to ITU. And ITU is a treaty-based deal amongst sovereign nations. Read "slow and gnarly to alter". Not that SMTP needs it.

But.. the prevalence of hand-helds, cheap bandwidth and "more and more NOVEL, right NOW, please" instant-gratification consumers has moved a TON of messaging-type traffic in many flavours clear TF OFF legacy SMTP and onto the backs of whole tribes and nations of competing alternatives as enable exchange of "stuff".

An SMTP MUA may not even be used all that much by even folks around my 94 yer old M'in Law's age. She and my Wife are connected with friends and extended family with live and stored video "apps" throughout the day and the time-zones of several continents. Wechat, Whatsapp, several more. I'm not into those, nor much even know their names, only that "they are legion!"

My eyes are as far apart as ever was, fingers still as fat, I use a minimum 15"+ screen and full-sized keyboard, thumb-ball cursor control.

Minimum.

The cell phone is POTS. Kyocera flip. No data plan. Just POTS, thanks, I delete messages unread. I said POTS, I meant POTS. Email me to a LARGE SCREEN if you want to send text ELSE buy a postage stamp and traverse the route of dead trees.

So they, not I, might not check their legacy email inbox for a whole week at a time. Her inbox - over on the PowerBook, checked only AFTER we are on voice phone call and I refer to something sent to her, not yet given a reply.

"Your Mileage May Vary" but classical SMTP (IMAP since forever-ago, our case) is sort of falling off the radar as to regular use, even when the correspondent has one or SEVERAL valid accounts active.

May need a "heads up" by flavour of the month "App" to get them to go LOOK in their inbox?

Should be....the reverse, but.. the dumbing-down of humanity off higher-level technology seems to be at work?

"First, you tell them what you are going to tell them."

"Then you tell them."

"Then you tell them what you told them."

We use a Gmail account ( [email protected] format not just @hotmail or @gmail) and have not had any issues. It will take a few to learn as it is, at least not in my opinion as intuitive as outlook, but in the end it is functional and works.

There's a ton of decent email clients, I like Ishmail myself, but the trouble is getting a mail service that still uses pop or imap. Webmail sucks. And running your own mail server these days is an exercise in frustration -- anything that is not a Big Name gets mail administrators everywhere over-excited. How many whitelists can you get on ? pita :(

Back