Son is moving on. Need to hire new help. Best method for job posting? - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well folks........tomorrow Andrew is taking a half day of vacation time and going for his driving test with the company wanting to hire him.

He already passed his drug test a couple weeks ago, so that's behind him. Not that I or he was ever worried. The kid does not drink, smoke or do any drugs.

Funny, I call him a "kid", he just turned 30 earlier this year.

As long as he passes his driving test, he's looking at a hire date of 7-9-18.............YIKES!!!

I'm sure he'll do just fine though. He was one of the best in his class, and he's not worried one bit.

Good for him I say........cause I'm scared to death with him leaving...................

Had a co-op student again this year and was hoping he'd stay on for the summer, but, it was not to be. Sadly, his overconfidence and lack of attention to the task at hand had me let him go last week. By Tuesday morning I had told my wife, print his check for the week including today, and at 3:00pm he's all done.

And that's just what I did...........told me "See ya later".

I haven't the patience nor the time for a just turned 17 year old kid telling me he already knows everything..........geez!

Enjoy your summer kid.............

Now................back to freaking out over Andrew leaving, and here I am with three new machines being delivered in 4 weeks..........but SHHHHHHH!! That's for another thread soon to be taking years to finish..................

To be continued...................

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats to your son on chasing his dreams!! Condolences to yourself on losing your go-to guy. Good luck on your search for his replacement.

3. Likes wrustle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wrustle View Post
    Had a co-op student again this year and was hoping he'd stay on for the summer, but, it was not to be. Sadly, his overconfidence and lack of attention to the task at hand had me let him go last week. By Tuesday morning I had told my wife, print his check for the week including today, and at 3:00pm he's all done.

I haven't the patience nor the time for a just turned 17 year old kid telling me he already knows everything..........geez!
    You probably just taught him one of the most valuable lessons of his career - that he is replaceable. A good lesson to learn young, when one can still take it to heart and adapt...

Now................back to freaking out over Andrew leaving, and here I am with three new machines being delivered in 4 weeks..........but SHHHHHHH!! That's for another thread soon to be taking years to finish..................

Oh boy.. I guess we'll get the low down on the machines about December!! Congrats on the expansion...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well folks........tomorrow Andrew is taking a half day of vacation time and going for his driving test with the company wanting to hire him.

He already passed his drug test a couple weeks ago, so that's behind him. Not that I or he was ever worried. The kid does not drink, smoke or do any drugs.

As long as he passes his driving test, he's looking at a hire date of 7-9-18.............YIKES!!!

I'm sure he'll do just fine though. He was one of the best in his class, and he's not worried one bit.

Good for him I say........cause I'm scared to death with him leaving...................

Enjoy your summer kid.............

I feel your pain. I was in a very similar position years back. There is no easy answer as you already know..but is there any answer anymore? This workforce thing is so out of hand, your former's reply is a classic. Happy as a lark..unreal.
    When you are a small shop there are just so much time you can spend training and retraning people.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are the new machines an attempt at getting more of it done yourself with automation rather than the troubles of hiring people ?
    You seem to do a good bit of work(from previous pics anyway) that would lend itself to that fairly well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just my personal opinion which means nothing. If I were you I'd try to keep the doors open and do a better job of delegating your other workers.
    That said...Being a truck driver sounds like he just wants to see the world...Or at least the USA for a while. Don't burn any bridges with your son...And let him know that you wish him well and to be careful on the road. Also..Let him know he has a place in the shop if and when he wants to come back....Providing you still have a shop and have the doors open.
    Honestly... Other than seeing the USA...CDL driving isn't everything its made out to be. Tons of regulations and not an easy job in any stretch of one's imagination.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems as if we have another thing in common - apart from being married to a Dane

My son (Allan) is also 30 but left for Norway (Bergen) 6 years ago and, as I hope as your son (kid? LOL) does, is doing just great. Loves every minute.

Nothing much I can say to him as he left Denmark for exactly the same reason as I left Scotland for Denmark - love - damned Danish women LOL In his case - damned Norwegian women

Top 5 Reasons Why Norway Has A High Standard Of Living - Free Tour Oslo

What to do in Bergen, Norway - 4K dji Osmo and Drone | The Planet D - YouTube

9. Likes tim9lives, wrustle liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Russ, I'm not trying to derail your thread but I've been to Norway twice on May 17 and was very impressed.

Norway National Day - HUGE PARADE | Patriotism Still ALIVE in Europe | Documentary 17 May - YouTube

Peaceful patriotism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How are things going Russ?

Don't give up hope. I was a shitty employee when I was younger. I lacked responsibility. I thought I was extremely smart and therefore employers would be lucky to have me. I showed up late because I thought it didn't matter, as I always put extra time in at the end of the day, and I did stuff at home for work when others didn't. I was generally very fast and accurate in my work, so I didn't give much of a shit about bosses' requests for project roadmaps and estimates on when things would be done. I spent plenty of time chatting at work and I would crank out work when deadlines were tight. I thought I was a superstar, and I was always kept on (and usually my employers were happy because I was really good in my field - software and electronics) but I wasn't the greatest employee.

Now I have owned my own shop for 18+ years and I have a very different perspective. I realize that being there on time is very important, because I don't give a shit if someone stays late or does stuff after-hours, they need to be here when we are all here, otherwise they aren't part of the team and part of the operation during normal business hours. I also care that even my smartest and best workers put in work during working hours - just because they are fast and productive doesn't mean they can spend half the day goofing off and work like crazy for the other half.

I've been doing some consulting work for others and the feedback I have gotten is close to amazement... like "wow, any chance you can come on full time? maybe you can be the manager, even?". I guess I learned a few things over that time. I show up on time like clockwork. I work when I am getting paid to work. I understand costs and profit and work with those things in mind. I guess I would make a great employee if I ever went back into the workforce.

My point is - don't settle for a shitty employee, or even one that isn't great. I've done that before and it's not worth it. Because I've also had great employees, and they ARE out there. I have a 25yr old girl who has been with me now for a few years. She has keys to the shop, she often is the first here, last to leave. She has taken on more and more responsibility as time goes on. She cares about this place almost as much as me - I trust her completely. And I've given her raises out of the blue just to show my appreciation. We're both happy with the situation. She's very responsible and a damn fine worker. She sets the standard in what I want in an employee, so when I have others who don't stack up, I just cut 'em loose. Never with hard feelings... some people need managed closely. Some people are in a different place in their arc of life and will turn into great employees for someone later in life. Some have demons I can't help with or problems I can't solve. Never any hard feelings... they just ain't the right person for the job. But I am not running a school or workshop on "how to be a great employee". I am running a business and I need someone who will fit in and work out here. No way to know without going with my gut feel, giving them a shot and if they work - reward them and keep 'em happy. If they don't, cut 'em loose as soon as I realize that they aren't "the one".

G'luck.

3-4 new machines? Damn, man - business must be good! I am so happy for you! Good going buddy! LOVE hearing about people succeeding and kicking ass out there!!!

12. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post