What's new
What's new

What Kind of Printer and Ink For Labels?

munruh

Hot Rolled
Oh the joys of keeping customers happy. One of our customers has new labeling requirements. This is what they are wanting:

Label must be made from non-brittle, synthetic face stock. A synthetic (polyester,
polypropylene, or Kimdura)-based label with an aggressive permanent acrylic or other
high performance adhesive is recommended to provide a highly durable, waterproof,
scratch resistant label that can withstand indoor and outdoor storage in adverse
temperature and humidity conditions. The face stock should be highly opaque so that
the component surface is not visible thought the label. Direct thermal printing with no
ribbon is not allowed. Black carbon-based inks are recommended to ensure they are readable
with infrared scanners.

What kind of printer and label do I need for this?

You want to get a P Touch label maker and use the TZ tapes. Labels stand up to years of direct sunlight and I have use the clear tape with black letters to stick directly on the outdoor gauges. I also stick them on test items that are run at 150C for days with no problems. I haven't found any other label system to beat 'em.

sounds like dyes which can fade in sunlight not wanted. mineral pigments like carbon dont fade in sunlight usually
its like interior paint and exterior paint. interior paint pigments usually cannot withstand sunlight without fading and peeling paint
cheap printer ink if printing photograph the colors can fade or change easily after only a few years

+1 on the Brother. The D600 is what we use.

I'd just ask the customer what they recommend though. That will prevent them from complaining later when something isn't just right.

Back