Sorta OT... computer hacked by remote desktop - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Complaining about Windows being shit because you got hacked is like complaining that Mori Seiki's suck because you keep crashing yours.

Computers only do what they are told to do. In the vast majority of cases, people do dumb shit like open emails, install programs with zero regard for knowing the pedigree of the program they are running, they write their passwords on post-it notes on their monitor, or don't have passwords at all (or make them super simple like "password").

Complaining that you got hacked in those circumstances is like buying Chinese shit used carbide endmills from eBay, using free CAM software you got from a Google search, not indicating in your vises ever, and buying unknown pedigree scrap from a local trash recycler, and then wondering why your customers reject your parts for being out of tolerance.

Be smart and shit works. I don't run anti virus software and I haven't had a virus in about 30 years. I used to be a software developer and I know what I am doing, but there's no excuse for just being dumb... computers ain't simple devices, they are complex and can do a LOT of stuff and people need to learn them at least a bit to use them effectively.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    We have several windows servers and 30+ windows computers here and all have remote desktop and we have had zero hacking issues.
    I have no idea whether its exploited or not, but that's hardly a good argument that its not.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I have no idea whether its exploited or not, but that's hardly a good argument that its not.
    Well I'd say that it is a good argument. Lots of computers running and using remote desktop, high profile network with lots of connections in and out via VPN and regular internet and not a single instance of any hacking or virus infection.

Point is remote desktop isn't the issue.....it's the other things like no firewall, no antivirus protection, and not keeping up with Windows updates that get you in trouble.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Well I'd say that it is a good argument.
    Like I say, I dont know whether its a risk or not; mine was a point of logic.i.e. running across the road with your eyes closed several times and not being hit is not a good argument for doing so. That 30 computers didn't get hacked could be because its un-hackable or just no ones tried those 30.

I suppose if reality was "almost computers at some point face a hack attempt" it would make a good argument, I have no idea what that percentage of boxes suffer an hack attempt

While there's an argument everyone should update their faulty software so its somewhat less faulty, lots don't because frequently the updates bugger it up so badly it stops things from working