What's new
What's new

Sorta OT... computer hacked by remote desktop

Bondo

Hot Rolled
So I barely slept last night from being sick and 2 coughing and crying kids. I got woken up by amazon calling about some gyro-chopter thing and I could barely understand them. They called like 6 times before they stopped.

Found out that someone had ordered a bunch of gift cards and the drone and some other stuff. I was able to cancel most of it. Amazon was very helpful doing that. So I was chatting with amazon by online chat and all of a sudden I had to reboot the chat window, then there was something on there I didn't type. I dismissed it figuring it was a glitch, and it happened again. Now the text was very weird, and now a third time that basically told me to fu-k off. Now I have built a lot of computers from scratch and been hacked before so I should have known what was going on, but I was sick with a headache and more. Then it finally clicked in and then my desktop background changed to a skull and cross bones. Then I pulled my wifi adapter and that came to an end. I figured out that all they had access to was remote desktop by how everything was ordered as they deleted emails on my gmail account from amazon and emptied the trash, but I have ALL emails to my gmail auto copy to another backup email just for this reason.

I knew that the remote desktop was a bad thing from windows, but after reading up on articles, its something heavily exploited. So everyone should disable it if you dont need it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For us novices, maybe you could tell us how to check for it and whatnot?

I don't see it come up when I type "auto" into my search.
I have this putor locked @ Win7.
What OS is this on?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Should just open up the settings menu and search for "remote desktop" or "remote access" and disable it from the menus. Or you can just google how to disable it on your operating system since they have way different menus anymore.

I am running windows 10, but everything since windows XP has remote desktop.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting, it’s something that I would not have thought of checking.

I just checked my PC . Windows 10 Home 1903 doesn’t even support Remote Desktop. I’ll check my others later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I stopped buying windows computers in 2009...alot of trouble. I bought a apple had it for ten years, for windows stuff i used a emulator on it and didn't connect windows to the net.
Still do the same with the new computer, sometimes you just have to run a program that only runs on windows, hopefully more programs will get ported to run on apple computers.
On the transition i played around with linux it was nice to run so maybe a option if your just surfing the net.
loath having to buy windows, my apple is nice to use.

Remote desktop is not exploitable. You have another issue elsewhere, probably a Trojan horse virus.

We have several windows servers and 30+ windows computers here and all have remote desktop and we have had zero hacking issues.

1) you need anti virus software
2) your computer needs to be behind a firewall or at the very least a NAT router (most if not all routers these days use NAT
3) Mac is an overpriced joke.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Remote desktop is not exploitable. You have another issue elsewhere, probably a Trojan horse virus.

We have several windows servers and 30+ windows computers here and all have remote desktop and we have had zero hacking issues.

2) your computer needs to be behind a firewall or at the very least a NAT router (most if not all routers these days use NAT

I agree 100%! Although it *might* happen to me one day, I have used windows since since like '92 or so and never seen some of the issues the windows/facebook/social media haters describe as terrible terrible bad things... :rolleyes5:

If you want to spend 4x on a Mac, knock yourself out, your money and all.... :toetap:

Do you use wifi? If someone hacks into your wifi connection they can shadow you. That would explain the peculiar behavior during the chat session. Essentially it is as if the other person is sharing your connection and can type as if they were you and click to close chat windows, etc.

I'm not the most tech savy, but when you remote into a computer, I believe there is a bar that pops up on the screen that says it's being remotely viewed or operated. At least on Windows 10 anyway.

Never say never: 7 months ago, and some people resist patching their OS

Critical vulnerability in Microsoft remote desktop services; update now

Behind a firewall or router with Nat and that exploit doesn't work. Also having your Windows updates on fixed most issues alone with anti virus and even windows firewall that's built in.

I'm not the most tech savy, but when you remote into a computer, I believe there is a bar that pops up on the screen that says it's being remotely viewed or operated. At least on Windows 10 anyway.
You can toggle that on/off. I toggled it off because it annoys me, but now I know that's not the thing to do.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

For us novices, maybe you could tell us how to check for it and whatnot?

I don't see it come up when I type "auto" into my search.
I have this putor locked @ Win7.
What OS is this on?
I use it frequently, I think the op is mistaken about the source of his problems but if you don't use it, probably smarter to turn it off. There is rdp for most operating systems, I use it to view a web browser running on an XP computer on my unix desktop but it originates with Mickeysoft. It was originally called Remote Desktop Protocol but on newer versions I dunno, they like to rename stuff. Should be able to disable it in the control panel though. Nothing depends on it besides remote access to the desktop, so turning it off is not a problem. You do normally have to set up credentials and all that to make it work.

I agree 100%! Although it *might* happen to me one day, I have used windows since since like '92 or so and never seen some of the issues the windows/facebook/social media haters describe as terrible terrible bad things... :rolleyes5:

If you want to spend 4x on a Mac, knock yourself out, your money and all.... :toetap:

I would never buy an Apple computer. My old boss kept telling me how good they were and he was a pathological liar and dumber than a box of rocks to boot so I ignored him. LOL

I have a Dell computer with Windows 10 and have not yet been hacked in a lot of years. Get a good anti-virus program and relax.

On my Windows machine, remote Desktop turns the desktop to a black background and a green border around the edge of the screen so it is obvious that it is in remote desktop mode.

Also there is a delay in the mouse this end if someone is controlling my desktop on their screen.

I would never buy an Apple computer. My old boss kept telling me how good they were and he was a pathological liar and dumber than a box of rocks to boot so I ignored him. LOL

I have a Dell computer with Windows 10 and have not yet been hacked in a lot of years. Get a good anti-virus program and relax.

I would not say to relax.

The number one issue in computer security is the human with user access privileges at the keyboard.

This covers bad password habits such as using "password" for a password, lack of context for opening dubious emails, to not using multiple passwords for different websites/accounts, ignorant wifi network setups, and finally the free software app that requests root privileges.

Majority of hacking scenarios involves some degree of social engineering. In other words the hacker uncovering key bits of your information which they then use in their attack on you. Trick is to get you to answer or give them the final piece of information that gets them in.

This all boils down to people that have gotten hacked will tend to get hacked again and again due to bad habits. Good habits will minimize your risk and contain the possible damage.

Thanks. Got the drone today at a proxy address. Doubt the other stuff will ever get here. Sorry for the inconvenience. Not for me but snagged it for a friends kids. Dad lost his job so all is good.

JK. Seriously, hope you sort this stuff out.

Back