What's new
What's new

Source For D2 Tool Steel?

munruh

Hot Rolled
What would be a good source for D2 tool steel? I have a job coming up and none of our regular suppliers supply it. I found Tool Steel of California online and called them. They seem to be the best option so far I have come up with, but a long ways from Kansas.

McMaster-Carr sells it. I know on the O-1 and A-2 small rounds I buy their prices aren't bad. Also they pass on their shipping discounts which can make the end cost cheaper than a lot of online metal sellers.

Online Metals also sells it, but they usually hose you on shipping charges.

Online metals
Yarde metals

Or in a pinch, my local guy gets me D2 sq or Rnd whenever I need it.
Gulf Coast Metal Sales
gulf coast metals - Google Search

Re:shipping charges @ Online Metals
Ship on your own account. They do add a $5.00 (IIRC) charge to ship on your UPS or FedEx acct, but it still saves you $.

Current 20% discount code to online metals.
DCH8B
Caveat: I am only a customer of OLM, Thyssen Krupp, not a schill.

Doug.

Re:shipping charges @ Online Metals
Ship on your own account. They do add a $5.00 (IIRC) charge to ship on your UPS or FedEx acct, but it still saves you $.

Good advice, does me no good. When I moved to the woods of Central Va I dropped my Fedex and UPS accounts. UPS or Fedex service is not good in the woods of Central Virginia where I am at. The parts I make are small so I just ship USPS flat rate.

If I need to use UPS I drive into town and use the UPS Store.
It doesn't snow that much here, maybe 2-8 inches a half dozen times a year but people are (name for cats)here.
It does rain a lot and there are a lot of creeks and rivers that overflow on to the road, even if that amounts to 3 inches of water the county puts up the road closed signs (of course I drive around them)and doesn't take them down for days after there is no water on the roads. When those frequent incidents happen UPS or FedEx ground deliveries end up left at the Post Office for completion that can add up to a week.

Online metals

Current 20% discount code to online metals.
DCH8B

Doug.

I regularly use Online metals, they are good for quick order small quantity stuff. If you sign up with them, they normally send out discount codes weekly.

Ive been using Cincinnati Tool Steel (cintool.com) for A2 for the last few years. I have gotten D2 from them once a few years go, so guessing they should still carry it. They have been great up until a goof up on some blanks I recently ordered - but every place makes mistakes at some point I guess - and its the first goof Ive had with them. Hoping it gets sorted out soon.

Im in CO, and they charge a flat 20.00 shipping (Fedex has been how its always came so far) - but Im not certain on the minimum required as my orders have always been 3k+ with them. But might be worth a call. Ive been dealing with Maggie there, and she has been very helpful. I have them do some secondary work to the blanks before they ship to save some additional processes and handling and have seemed to be pretty fair price wise.

Wade

I'm close to Ford Tool Steel so I can drive over and pick up whatever I need. They deal a lot with people like mold makers who may just need a little piece to finish a job, so they save all the drops, down to a few inches long, let you pick it out and they weigh it. Nice people.

Bill

Another vote for Cincinnati Tool Steel the prices they give me is really good. If you need smaller sizes like drops or pieces cut to size out of plate Ford tool Steel. Later Jason

Back