What's new
What's new

Sources for cast iron, round acme nuts?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
Disassembling/cleaning up an old horizontal knee mill that was converted to a vertical with a Tree head.

The roind acme nut for the table lead screw had split at some point and was repaired with screws, but I'd like to replace while it's apart.

3/4",5 tpi, 2" long x 1.5" diameter. Can't find any that long at McMaster, any other sources for this?

Nah...
Not worth the effort and expense to.go that route.
The repaired nut is serviceable, but figured if I can replace it with minimal expense and effort I would.

Not sure how parts replacement is "shop management" and not machine reconditioning, but...
Found McMaster does have cast iron in 1-1/2" length by 2-15/64" dia.
Should be able to use the slightly shorter length and can turn down the OD to 1-1/2" .

I was going to direct you to Roton for Acme nuts. However, they carry bronze, not cast iron, and their round "sleeve" nuts are a bit shorter than your original part. Still, a possibly useful source.

Depending on what your time is worth to you and whether you've got a lathe, making new nuts from cast iron bar is a fairly simple exercise. If the originals were split with a screw adjusting the spacing between the two ends, that can be replicated. If not, it's worth making a carrier with (for instance) a 20tpi female thread and a matching thread on one of the nut halves, with a lock nut, so you can adjust the clearance as time goes on. The system of a partially split nut with a clamping screw that is used on some machines is not to be recommended.

Back