Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    You know what is amusing about this ISO vs Quality (ah hemmm) discussion... *everyone* has a horror story about ISO, but no one can list a single thing ISO/AS has really brought to the table other than the "I win more jobs/ we make less scrap (*cough*bullshit*cough*)" How about a single incident where ISO did something? I can name a few negatives right off the bat-

1) rejecting parts that are literally tenths out on a pin that means nothing (we did the ass'y so I know what the function was)
    2) accepting parts that were out of print, even though we have "incoming inspections" * (ironically part of the same ass'y that our jackass inspector rejected for the pins!)
    3) assigning tools to a workstation (not necessarily a bad idea internally, but with no flexibility it's STUPID AF!)
    4) un-qualified inspectors. once was struggling to get a job running and come to find out the "quality inspector" was clamping one single toe clamp on the end of the part and "screwing" (twisting back and forth / forcing) the gage pin in AFTER doing the alignment on cmm!

*included that one because our policy (not quality again) only required an inspection cert or something stupid, not an actual inspection for part conformance
    If those problems are coming up, then whoever wrote the company's policies did their job wrong. When you write the policies (or hire someone to write the policies) for your shop, it's on you to get them right; those are the rules that you and your people will have to follow.

You asked for some good things. I make bone plates and surgical implements for human use. If these are wrong, someone could could get hurt, so it's absolutely critical, for moral, ethical, and liability reasons, to get them right. As a company, we can't afford to rely on personal responsibility to ensure that everyone does their jobs right. We have procedures governing everything from the ordering and acceptance of stock, to the final cleaning, packaging, and shipping. Workers come and go, but regardless of the worker, if we follow these procedures, we have a very high chance of the parts being right, and in the case that something does go wrong (hasn't happened yet, knock on wood), we would have a record of everything that happened to that part along the way, giving us legal protection and a place to start figuring out what went wrong. Was the material cert falsified? Was a gauge mis-calibrated? Gotta figure that out in order to fix it to make sure it doesn't happen again. If you don't have procedures, and the documentation showing that the procedures were followed, everyone will just stand around shrugging and pointing fingers.

The same is true for many other parts, whether aerospace, DOD, automotive, etc., anything where if your part fails someone could get hurt.

2. Likes awake liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    You know what is amusing about this ISO vs Quality (ah hemmm) discussion... *everyone* has a horror story about ISO, but no one can list a single thing ISO/AS has really brought to the table other than the "I win more jobs
    We haven't pursued ISO, matter of prioritization I suppose, but I see sales growth as the key benefit. 'Win more jobs', at the right margins.....that's not an "other than", that is the reason, or at least reason enough

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by machinistrrt View Post
    Has anyone thought about applying ISO/AS to a hot dog cart?
    If you do it in Canada, make sure that your buns comply with GCS 32.4M, Type 2, Class C, Style B.

And if you serve tea, follow ISO 3103.

5. Likes machinistrrt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having been in your shoes, I can tell you that there are LOTS of things to spend money on. Have you addressed rent and space? When I started I made sure that all my major equipment was paid for in full. This way, while dredging up work, I didn't sweat a machine payment.

7. Likes DanASM, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    As you are finding out right now anyone who's run machines and has credit or a savings account can get into the machining game. I'd be looking for something to differentiate yourself from every other guy with 1 machine in his garage.

If you haven't read wheelie king's thread on here about starting a shop with 1 machine it would be a great place to start.

If you haven't started a list of what you think you'll need to get the machine up and running I'd start a budget now. Things can be bought as you go along but for a while some jobs may just pay for the tooling/ inspection equipment.

The machine is often times the cheap part. I just bought a used hobby grade mill and lathe. Between new and used tooling, some support equipment, everything to get the machines wired with air and leveled/ well lit, and some tools I didn't have I bet I will have spent what I paid for the 2 machines before I make a chip. I all ready had things like some inspection tools, a saw, air compressor, nice vise on a work bench, hand tools out the ying yang, hand power tools, ect.
    Do you have a pointer to that thread? It is pertinent to my interests as of last Friday LOL

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This one?

B&A Precision

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This one?

B&A Precision

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    This one?

B&A Precision
    Long read but well worth it, lots of blood/sweat/tears in one spot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike,
    did you ever start your shop??
    Thanks
    Chris

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Loan officers will evaluate both the customer's situation and plans to determine whether a loan can be made. Have a look at prestige to get a good financial option for your mid-size business.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Because without quality, you make crap.

Get ISO9001 habits formed from day one and your chances of succeeding go up some 60%
    If that's not the most bullshit I've r øead this month I don't know.

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk