Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DieselMater86 View Post
    The servos say that its .002", and I know they love to make their numbers look good so who really knows..
    You need to cut test coupons of different lengths and widths and inside / outside radiuses and then measure for accuracy (orthogonal and dimensional). Reporting encoder feedback with a resolution of 0.002 inches is meaningless. Once you get it dialed in for one material and thickness then go to another material and thickness. You will find you need different offsets by material thickness and type (ferrous and non ferrous metals behave differently). Do you have dynamic torch tip height compensation?

All these affect accuracy both in terms of how you program the machine and how accurate the linkage is between the encoders and the torch tip . . . and my experience with helping people with home built machines is that they are often lucky to hit accuracies of +/- 0.03 and more likely +/- 0.05 with terrible circularity at axis direction changes.

Generally this is fine for the artists, but will never make the grade for a customer that needs precision ready to weld parts.

Cut some parts of varying thickness with inside and outside steps and radiuses, check the dimensions and squareness and report back.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post
    You need to cut test coupons of different lengths and widths and inside / outside radiuses and then measure for accuracy (orthogonal and dimensional). Reporting encoder feedback with a resolution of 0.002 inches is meaningless. Once you get it dialed in for one material and thickness then go to another material and thickness. You will find you need different offsets by material thickness and type (ferrous and non ferrous metals behave differently). Do you have dynamic torch tip height compensation?

All these affect accuracy both in terms of how you program the machine and how accurate the linkage is between the encoders and the torch tip . . . and my experience with helping people with home built machines is that they are often lucky to hit accuracies of +/- 0.03 and more likely +/- 0.05 with terrible circularity at axis direction changes.

Generally this is fine for the artists, but will never make the grade for a customer that needs precision ready to weld parts.

Cut some parts of varying thickness with inside and outside steps and radiuses, check the dimensions and squareness and report back.
    This is what I am doing right now working my way with the different material thickness and materials. This way I have my self and the machine dialed in, also know what my level of precision with these servos. I didn't go cheap on servos, and yes we have a THC that is a must have to me. I'm learning that setting rules about where to slow down when cutting like in corners, arcs, etc. It has made a world of differences in my parts accuracy. I found out that a good friend of my dad's is very familiar with CNC Plasma so he is coming over this weekend to show me some stuff that he has learned. I'm not opposed to learning from someone at all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likely you know this but:
    -Placing everyday/often -used-tools on a wall rack with the tool shape painted/outlined so it goes only in that one place will save many hours of in the Black Hole where tools go and then are searched for.
    -Have tool trays to hold a set of tools needed for that/each special job.
    -Have a tool cart to take parts and tool to the job.. to be returned to the wall rack when job is done.
    -Lay tool that can break on there sides so they don't fall and crash to the floor.

For instance I have a small plastic covered tubby for installing deer blind door locks. it has a crew sheet taped to the inside of the cover so a new guy knows the drill/ in side: the screws / Dremel bit /extra screws(if one should be lost)/ proper fit-best screw driver / small dykes for cutting the key holding wire tie/ wire ties that will be needed..Looking for just one thing can loose 10 minuets every time a job is started.
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 08-09-2019 at 11:42 AM.

4. Likes DieselMater86 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is apart of our flow/6S while doing the shop setup. It has already proven itself useful