Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Structuring a small business to sell my designs

I have a few designs that I'm in the process of prototyping in my home shop that I'd like to be able to manufacture and sell at some point. I've done enough research to suggest that starting an LLC is probably the best choice for starting a business for this purpose, but I'm still not decided how to structure things. Currently, all the shop and all equipment is my personal property and I'm considering a few different business structures:

1. Continue to hold the shop and all equipment personally and lease it to the LLC.
    2. Create a holding LLC and subsidiary LLCs for each business purpose (manufacturing, engineering, etc..), and have the holding LLC hold the shop and all equipment.
    3. The same as the above but lease the shop and all equipment to the holding LLC.

If the business fails, I want to ensure the shop and equipment remain my personal property as it is all located in my garage. I don't plan to leverage any credit, so my risk of defaulting on loans is zero and I plan to carry liability insurance for any lawsuits that come my way. Given these facts, a holding LLC seems excessive and also a paperwork burden. Have any of you done something similar? If so, how did you structure things?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remain a sole prop until size requires you to go S Corp.

If you own the house homestead it, no one suing wants your machines they want your house. Once that is protected you are practically 'lawsuit proof' until you actually start making money

3. Likes gary-sc, Keyfox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do a subchapter S to protect yourself from all lawsuits, and make sure to carry plenty of liability insurance. I would hold all assets personally and lease to the company if you want, but remember that you will need to pay taxes on those payments if they are more than $600 for the year.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

My lawyer tells me that an LLC, with only one owner (or "Member") is not very "Lawsuit Proof".

6. Likes Oldwrench, gustafson liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think Ohio has much in the way of Homesteading laws. At a glance, it can only be applied to 25k of value and only if you are a senior or disabled veteran. My wife and I would be equal owners and I would likely employ another family member if it were to become profitable. Sole proprietor doesn't sound like it offers much protection. I'll look into an S corp though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It might be cheaper to deal with the house, as you are more likely to get sued if someone trips on your walk and gets bitten by your dog for lying on the lawn than anything business related

All this renting back and forth is overthinking IMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually Ohio raised its homestead exemption to like 136k

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All advice given here is at best a starting point. And worth every penny you pay for it. Start with a CPA. Get a good insurance agent involved too. Shop around as well. CPAs offers a service. Insurance agent sells a product. Best to know the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My advice is don't worry so much about the business structure. When and if the money starts flowing it'll become more obvious what direction to go. Whether the money will ever start flowing is the big "IF".

What you're proposing doing is a difficult route to go. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Getting ideas to a marketable state is the problem, it can take big bucks.

If you do good work you can make decent money prototyping other people's ideas. It can take a while to make contacts and referrals. And you need to be in an area where there are lots of startups needing prototypes.

12. Likes AndyF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhov View Post
    I plan to carry liability insurance for any lawsuits that come my way.
    Product liability? Let me re-phrase your words up there for you.. "I plan to carry liability insurance
    to encourage lawsuits".

You only get sued when you have something of value to take. Can't get blood from a stone.

General liability, different thing. For when a rafter crashes down and crushes the UPS guy.

If you are making a product that you plan on getting sued, there is no F'n way I would
    be making that stuff out of a shop at my house, and I would bury it so deep in multiple
    layers of corporations and LLC's that nobody would ever find me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unless there's major negligence the danger of a lawsuit that wipes out a business isn't likely. Stay away from work related to certain areas, guns, auto, aircraft, etc, etc. The first time you get sued it's scary, then you begin to realize anybody can sue anybody for any reason. If you do get sued hire an older experienced lawyer who will be more likely to negotiate rather than an aggressive young one who may want to get to court.

I was sued three times, no merit to any of the suits, but you still have to defend yourself. First was when the guy claimed I defrauded him by failing to disclose the taxes on a piece of property I purchased and resold sold to him were historically low because the owner before me got an old age tax reduction. Lawsuit was dismissed after tax assessor intervened on my behalf.

Second was when customer "A" sold his profitable shop to new owner "B". A's customers didn't want to deal with B. A's customers came to me directly. B claimed A and I conspired to break A's non-compete clause. A and I threatened to counter sue. B dropped lawsuit. B lost the shop when it was auctioned after a year of his ownership.

Third lawsuit was other party accused me of skimming money off in a joint venture. Accusation was proven untrue, but he persisted so I paid him $10K to go away. Hs spent approx $50K in lawyer fees to get that $10K. There was some satisfaction for me in that.

15. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^ Having practiced law for nearly a decade, the above all rings quite true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I was sued three times, no merit to any of the suits, but you still have to defend yourself.
    The examples you gave weren't product liability which is what mentioned insurance covers (if I'm correctly following the bouncing ball). It's a different kettle of fish, potentially big US jury style awards, sleazy contingency fee litigators and easy to go after you personally. (and win if there was negligence).

18. Likes digger doug liked this post