Stupidest thing an employee ever said - Page 19
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    The other side of that coin, off topic, but when did that stop us? An inspector who frequently tested gyros, accelerometers and similar instruments would carefully write down the procedure for each new test. In time Charlie's notebook became the de-facto shop standard. He also was a very nice guy, happy to share his information with anyone. Simply a matter of attitude.

Bill
    I agree with you, Bill. Perhaps I should clear things up. I WANTED the guy to keep a notebook of the procedures, and use it. I had one myself at that company, and I didn't begrudge having to train him. It was the attitude and actions that I drew issue with.

I have a notebook at my current job with now 5 years worth of operations from tramming in the Bridgeport, grinding angles on core pins, running the 50-year-old Ingersoll sinker EDM, etc etc. I refer to it for work that comes up infrequently.
    I hope it didn't look like I was angry at the guy or the notebook usage. Just trying to create independence in him for the future.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Another looser.
    "remember last month when I told you I had a funeral to attend in 3 weeks and would need time off?"
    Sacked him that day.
    Did you mean to post this in the "Stupidest thing your boss ever said" thread instead?

You fired him for wanting time off to go to a funeral? Funerals are often scheduled several weeks out so people have time to fly in. Would you rather he wait until a few days before the funeral to talk to you?

3. Likes Strostkovy, ManualEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The best one i ever heard for not coming in to work was when the employee called and said "I have an optical rectal problem" When asked about the problem he stated " I just can't see dragging my @$$ in to work.

5. Likes dekamdylan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
    Did you mean to post this in the "Stupidest thing your boss ever said" thread instead?

You fired him for wanting time off to go to a funeral? Funerals are often scheduled several weeks out so people have time to fly in. Would you rather he wait until a few days before the funeral to talk to you?
    I have been to more funerals than I care to count and never had one out 3 weeks.

7. Likes Newman109 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I have been to more funerals than I care to count and never had one out 3 weeks.
    The last one I went to was 2 weeks out. Three weeks is longer than normal, but still not a good reason to fire someone. If family had to travel from another country and deal with visas, 3 weeks could be quick.

If the body is being embalmed, there's no physical reason the funeral needs to be right away. The longest delay I've heard (family friend was a mortician) was 4+ months.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was working in a machine shop where the foreman was a heidenhain expert. (His words). He had taught the other 3 millers working there and it was his way or the highway. You had to have just the program on the screen. No overview, no tool information, no distance to go, nothing. Just the program. I was on nights and had changed the screen to suit my wat of working with all the relevant information on the screen but I forgot to change it back before going home. When he caught up with me he was pretty angry.. STOP CHANGING THE F***IN SCREEN. When he calmed down he explained it to me.
    "These lads don't understand what there looking at".

"They don't understand distance to go"?. Or an offset on a tool?. One of the lads put a 0.03" offset on a tool instead of 0.003" and scrapped a part. I pointed out to him by changing the screen he'd have spotted this.

Same firm bought a brand new 5 axis that id worked on previously for three years. I was banned off it.

"We want someone with no experience on it." . At one point it had bits of paper stuck to the control with things like open door written above it. I eventually got to work on it when nearly everybody else refused to go near it and the thing would have had more use if we'd filled it with water and put some tropical fish in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by strawman0007 View Post
    I was working in a machine shop where the foreman was a heidenhain expert. (His words). He had taught the other 3 millers working there and it was his way or the highway. You had to have just the program on the screen. No overview, no tool information, no distance to go, nothing. Just the program. I was on nights and had changed the screen to suit my wat of working with all the relevant information on the screen but I forgot to change it back before going home. When he caught up with me he was pretty angry.. STOP CHANGING THE F***IN SCREEN. When he calmed down he explained it to me.
    "These lads don't understand what there looking at".

"They don't understand distance to go"?. Or an offset on a tool?. One of the lads put a 0.03" offset on a tool instead of 0.003" and scrapped a part. I pointed out to him by changing the screen he'd have spotted this.

Same firm bought a brand new 5 axis that id worked on previously for three years. I was banned off it.

"We want someone with no experience on it." . At one point it had bits of paper stuck to the control with things like open door written above it. I eventually got to work on it when nearly everybody else refused to go near it and the thing would have had more use if we'd filled it with water and put some tropical fish in it.
    Several times in the past I've been burned by people who claimed to have vast experience and had very impressive resumes. Accordingly I'd give them a part to make and leave them to their own devices, only to have them severely fuck something up. IME "experienced" people routinely are incapable of basic cleanliness when setting tools or fixtures, drop things on the floor, can't blow out an insert pocket with compressed air when changing inserts, don't bother with optional stop, single block, rapid overrides, change things in the program that they don't actually understand, and generally just don't give a fuck about the machine, tools, or the part they're making. I could go on at length.

I strongly suspect that the shop you mention has had similar experiences and now have different criteria for employee selection. I also am extremely cautious about "experienced" people.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Several times in the past I've been burned by people who claimed to have vast experience and had very impressive resumes. Accordingly I'd give them a part to make and leave them to their own devices, only to have them severely fuck something up. IME "experienced" people routinely are incapable of basic cleanliness when setting tools or fixtures, drop things on the floor, can't blow out an insert pocket with compressed air when changing inserts, don't bother with optional stop, single block, rapid overrides, change things in the program that they don't actually understand, and generally just don't give a fuck about the machine, tools, or the part they're making. I could go on at length.

I strongly suspect that the shop you mention has had similar experiences and now have different criteria for employee selection. I also am extremely cautious about "experienced" people.
    I don't know if you've ever been to a machine shop in any Nordic country but generally everything is both tidy and well kept. Guess it's just a human nature thing depending on how you were raised. Slobs aren't tolerated for long here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I don't know if you've ever been to a machine shop in any Nordic country but generally everything is both tidy and well kept. Guess it's just a human nature thing depending on how you were raised. Slobs aren't tolerated for long here.
    So Nordic countries, Denmark in particular of course, are much cleaner and tidier than the USA due to their upbringing. That's good to know.

13. Likes Rstewart, camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    It took 6 months to bury one of my grandmothers, the funeral was cancelled 3 times in that 6 months. She had been cremated, but grandpa was having a hard time letting go, we finally convinced him that keeping the urn in a cardboard box in the closet was disrespectful. Without knowing the details as to why a funeral was 4 weeks out, sorry, but you do sound like an ass for just firing the guy without questioning the timing.

15. Likes DanielG, Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    So Nordic countries, Denmark in particular of course, are much cleaner and tidier than the USA due to their upbringing. That's good to know.
    You mentioned Denmark and the USA. I didn't. Jealous? I didn't write "much cleaner". I wrote "generally everything is both tidy and well kept". Most over here have probably better reading skills than you.

Top 1 Cleanest Countries in The World 218 - YouTube

How you doin'?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    It took 6 months to bury one of my grandmothers, the funeral was cancelled 3 times in that 6 months. She had been cremated, but grandpa was having a hard time letting go, we finally convinced him that keeping the urn in a cardboard box in the closet was disrespectful. Without knowing the details as to why a funeral was 4 weeks out, sorry, but you do sound like an ass for just firing the guy without questioning the timing.
    The OP is being beaten up over his post but he may not have explained himself that well or completely. We've all made that mistake from time to time. We know what we mean when we post something but it gets lost in translation to the forum.

I'd be interested in the OP expanding on his comment a bit.

JMHO

-Ron

18. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You mentioned Denmark and the USA. I didn't. Jealous? I didn't write "much cleaner". I wrote "generally everything is both tidy and well kept". Most over here have probably better reading skills than you.

Top 1 Cleanest Countries in The World 218 - YouTube

How you doin'?
    I'm doing fine. More have better reading skills that I you say? That's more troll talk. I have an excellent background in both reading and writing the English language.

You have to understand at some point that no one "over here" really cares about your particular area of the world.
    Last edited by Newman109; 07-14-2018 at 06:58 AM.

20. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm doing fine. More have better reading skills that I you say? That's more troll talk. I have an excellent background in both reading and writing the English language.

You have you understand at some point that no one "over here" really cares about your particular area of the world.
    There are two guys here. Gordon and Tom. Both are rambling idiots and one believes that Americans are a garbage race. It's funny that this is an American hosted site, maybe he should stop commenting here?

22. Likes Newman109 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing whatsoever to do with tidyness or neatness. I'm talking about making sure there are no chips between the base of the fixture and the table when mounting it, or not dropping a gauge block on the floor from bench height because you somehow can't keep a hold of it.

But since you mention it, I will take a careful slob over a hamfisted neat freak any day.

24. Likes Bobw, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have you understand at some point that no one "over here" really cares about your particular area of the world.
    That might explain why the USA isn't the nation it once was. A good company looks at what the competition does and acts accordingly. Countries should look at what other countries do and maybe understand why some are more succesful than others.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Nothing whatsoever to do with tidyness or neatness. I'm talking about making sure there are no chips between the base of the fixture and the table when mounting it, or not dropping a gauge block on the floor from bench height because you somehow can't keep a hold of it.

But since you mention it, I will take a careful slob over a hamfisted neat freak any day.
    I guess we don't have the same interpretation of what "slob" means Certainly not "careful" to me. Just about the exact opposite.

Slob:
    1. informal
    a person who is lazy and has low standards of cleanliness.
    "he's a slob and expects others to clean up after him"
    synonyms: layabout, good-for-nothing, sluggard, slug, laggard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh please.
    I have seen slop shops everywhere on the planet US, Europe, Asia, others.
    Have also seen immaculate world class in all.
    I'm not thinking this is a where you on the sit the globe thing and how you were raised.
    Bob

28. Likes Newman109, MetalCarnage liked this post
    Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by strawman0007 View Post
    Same firm bought a brand new 5 axis that id worked on previously for three years. I was banned off it. "We want someone with no experience on it."
    Yeah, man is no longer the measure of all things. Machines must be bought and they cost real money. Workers are employed and can be sent away. Thus machinists are attachments to machines.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Oh please.
    I have seen slop shops everywhere on the planet US, Europe, Asia, others.
    Have also seen immaculate world class in all.
    I'm not thinking this is a where you on the sit the globe thing and how you were raised.
    Bob
    Surprisingly, or maybe not, but the word "generally" in my sentence seems to get overlooked.

".…….. in any Nordic country but generally everything is both tidy and well kept".

Of course the Nordic countries have slobs but not so many as in many other countries. I'm sure Japan has slobs too but I've never heard about or seen one. Countries like Switzerland and Germany are known for precision and you don't get that by being careless or sloppy.

Interesting how a casual remark can get some so upset.

If it isn't "where you sit on the globe thing and how you were raised." then any suggestion as to why?

Bit like me and politics. On some things I'm "left" and on others "right" just as with some things I'm meticulous and with others, maybe not a slob, but certainly not meticulous Probably like you I've been in shops where I could eat my lunch off the floor while in others it felt as if my life hang on the balance just walking from A to B.