Suggestions on how to deal with a real bich. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If she is between 50 and 60, she has a chance to calm down within a couple of years or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone else sick of the over the top PC crowd these days? Someone called a woman the B-word, BFD, let us take him out and shoot him. For the record if the annoying person was a male I would have referred to him as an A-hole or a jackass.

3. Likes Newman109, camscan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doug, if it were my company I'd use the Ewlsey procedure on her ass—i.e. call her boss and tell him either give me a different contact person to work with, or come pick up your effing tooling (assuming any of it's theirs). If they do take the job elsewhere it will start out at lower efficiency and she will get the blame, unless of course she's either a relative or is doing the horizontal bop with her boss.

If you aren't in a position to threaten to fire the customer I can't offer any suggestion—except that counting seconds until retirement, as someone else recounted doing, seems a hideous waste of one's waking hours. JMO.

5. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We've dealt with this for years in the Automotive world. You get used to a contact, and develop a good working relationship with them over time. Then after a number of years they move on, only for their position to be filled with a young firecracker straight from school with some alphabet soup after their name, who's gonna try and whip all the suppliers into shape. Start the whole process over again. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not, and sometimes your blood pressure spikes . Been there. Some people exist in their own little orbit, and feel the need to always try to make a name for themselves. It usually works, but not in the way they intended. They bounce around a bit, and we've dealt with them working for few different companies. They usually settle down over time, or move on. It's a shame you never really appreciate the goods ones until they've been replaced with a bad one lol.

Keep doing what you're doing. CC all the other known players at that place you've dealt with, and get everything in a paper trail. No verbal on ANYthing. Even if they call and tell you to do something, immediately send an email like "with regards to our phone conversation I need you to confirm we are to proceed with blah blah blah in this direction yadda yadda", and copy everybody on it. Eventually the people above them will get tired of being involved in every little thing and deal with it on their end.

Best of luck.

7. Likes cg285, digger doug, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Anyone else sick of the over the top PC crowd these days? Someone called a woman the B-word, BFD, let us take him out and shoot him. For the record if the annoying person was a male I would have referred to him as an A-hole or a jackass.
    I use the term "Bastard" when the troublemaker is a male. I had plenty of them for bosses when I was doing office work before my self-employed job. There's no changing them, either. You either have to take it or get out.

9. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D Dubeau View Post
    Keep doing what you're doing. CC all the other known players at that place you've dealt with, and get everything in a paper trail. No verbal on ANYthing. Even if they call and tell you to do something, immediately send an email like "with regards to our phone conversation I need you to confirm we are to proceed with blah blah blah in this direction yadda yadda", and copy everybody on it. Eventually the people above them will get tired of being involved in every little thing and deal with it on their end.
    Yeah - I used to do this with one of my ex-bosses once I figured out what an untrustworthy arsehole he was. He loved giving verbal directions and denying he'd done so if things went badly. I used to just write up my version and send a copy.

Also I used the 'unless directed in writing to the contrary I intend to .....' a fair bit so he couldn't do the trick of denying something by refusing to give a written reply.

It's tiring. Eventually I got sick of it and decided the benefits (getting paid to go to sea for 3 month research voyages) simply wasn't worth the effect on my blood pressure. I quit.

I've fired clients too once even an aggravation penalty percentage wasn't sufficient. But of course you have to be able to get by without them.

In this case I'd consider that and if it was do-able I'd ask for a meeting with her boss, going armed with a bunch of emails etc demonstrating the problem. If you've just got verbal stuff, waste of time. I'd likely back my staff member in that case, at least the first time. But it would send up a flag regardless and I'd be paying attention to them from that point on.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    But it would send up a flag regardless and I'd be paying attention to them from that point on.

PDW
    Yep, plant the seed

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by IWUP View Post
    Yep, plant the seed
    Plant a foot in her ass...more satisfying

13. Likes camscan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my grandfather had a machine shop/auto repair shop started in the early 1900's. on a visit in the 70's he got on a little rant about gov't and customers. i said then why do you work for yourself? he hesitated for just a few seconds then said "because i can tell someone to go fuck themselves if i want to"
    just sayin'

my brother is a contractor and has had several "bitches from hell" (and he is very good at his trade - not a windshield contractor)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tie her to a chair in a basement somewhere. Run a 48 hour binge watch of Tom Lipton and Adam Booth; with "How It's Made" intermissions.
    It should then be clear via Tom & Adam what really happens, contrary to glossy over simplification the masses get on cable TV.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Tie her to a chair in a basement somewhere ...
    Whew ! For a second there I thought this was going to get ... interesting

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By polite at all times and convert to email for all communication.

Send an announcement message advising it is being done to reduce costs associated with communication errors and phone tag.

Always follow up with an email as reply all including as needed folks that is "confirmation of understanding" where you confirm the items of discussion or orders giving the unless otherwise corrected by deadline actions will proceed and billed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

18. Likes digger doug, eaglemike, cg285, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Quiring View Post
    Be polite at all times
    You can do that and still employ the chair.

20. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread brings back bad memories.
    I’ve bumped into protected bitches and bastards.
    Defensive incompetents.
    Victims of the Peter principal.

Hell, I’ve been a Peter principal example...had to resign that position, I simply couldn’t do the job and it was fucking up people I respected, and work that was worth doing right.

I think it’s part of the human condition.

Just cover your ass and try not to take it personally.

22. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bich? Bichon Frise Dog Breed Information
    Maybe she hates bad spelling? Take the high road. Be nice to her. May take a small time but could work wonders. In other words, be nice and let her have YOUR own way.
    Always remember, she has the 14 inch strap on. Lube is up to you and your actions.
    So glad I left that schit in 2013. And felt good to sack a customer(s). Back to small and can keep it all.

24. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had someone like that working for me briefly. I won't go into why I hired him except to say that his relationship with my family made it difficult to say no. Within days he was telling me about all the mistakes I was making and how he should be running the business. Nothing I said made a dent in him. I finally fired him after 60 days, about 40 days too long. Later I came across a psychological test called the Hare Psychopathy Test. The therapist fills it out after getting acquainted with the patient. The questions are like "Lies frequently", He did, and actually berated me for telling a customer the truth. I started reading the test on the net without seeing what it was a test for. After seeing that it was almost a perfect description of this jerk, I looked at what it tested. Narcissism. Narcissists are in love with themselves and will not acknowledge faults in themselves. Everything is someone else's fault. About the only thing you can do is get rid of them.

Bill

26. Likes Oldwrench, eaglemike, Milland, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The email idea can actually get you some traction in the right direction.

Sometimes all people want is someone to listen to them.

I've done that more then once over the years and have had good luck with it.

28. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

lets just for a second consider that calling her a bitch on a public forum is just "she's acting like an asshole, and it's the word that best fits". That's fine...maybe she is a cunt...but you have a problem either way, cause she's the cunt that gets you paid. So now you have to figure out how to communicate with her.

Set small tasks outlining objective goals. For every item you assign to her, make sure you have one of your own, even if it's BS. Quit CCing all the emails, it's putting her on the defensive. You are an outside company, corporate will very likely side with her if things go south. You previously had a project manager that was skilled at their job, groom the new one...try to help her succeed. If she gets defensive, redirect her.

I'd imagine you have expectations of similar behaviors of the previous purchasing agent/project manager....but now you have a new one. What you have done thus far hasn't been successful, so change your approach. Build her up instead of cutting her down.

30. Likes Trboatworks, Greg White, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Give it time to sort out.
    Do your work and don’t get drawn into a problem that is not your doing.
    I just felt like this myself- new guy handling things for a very important client was ‘difficult’.
    My wife was pragmatic and correct- “just do your work”.
    The guy got his feet under him and settled down.
    Things are now A-OK.

32. Likes Greg White, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Give it time to sort out.
    Do your work and don’t get drawn into a problem that is not your doing.
    I just felt like this myself- new guy handling things for a very important client was ‘difficult’.
    My wife was pragmatic and correct- “just do your work”.
    The guy got his feet under him and settled down.
    Things are now A-OK.
    Been there, dealing with business owners son, daughter, son in law etc, nothing is going to change you just have to cover your ass with paperwork confirming what you understand you have been asked to do.

Work you have done satisfactory for 40 years for the owner now retired, has now been changed to suit the new management, and when the new design has teething problems all of a sudden it it your fault, whereass the original owner was willing to listen to suggestions to avoid problems that you see resulting from a design change.

34. Likes Laurentian liked this post