SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post

paper?

what is this paper you speak of?

I have not kept paper copies of my own invoices in over 25 years
    Well certainly upto the time of me selling my business (2 years ago), in the UK it was a legal requirement (according to my accountants) that they had a hard copy invoice to reconcile my books etc...which has to be kept (like all records) for a minimum of 7 years...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Well certainly upto the time of me selling my business (2 years ago), in the UK it was a legal requirement (according to my accountants) that they had a hard copy invoice to reconcile my books etc...which has to be kept (like all records) for a minimum of 7 years...
    uhhh, need a hard copy, print one

I think your accountants is boobs

Mine gets a printed report at the end of year

I mean I feel silly still only taking paper checks

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

uhhh, need a hard copy, print one

That's what i said originally to the OP - print a hard copy and keep it in a file.
    When paid, write paid on it and move it out the file or place it at the back in a paid section.
    He can see easy at any one time who owes and how much he's owed.

Yes, UK laws are changing anyway - all businesses have to run/link to HMRC for electronic banking in the near future...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's what i said originally to the OP - print a hard copy and keep it in a file.
    When paid, write paid on it and move it out the file or place it at the back in a paid section.
    He can see easy at any one time who owes and how much he's owed.

Yes, UK laws are changing anyway - all businesses have to run/link to HMRC for electronic banking in the near future...
    welcome to 1962

no, no, hell no

It makes it impossible to see what one is owed

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I advertise in one UK publication, they were no longer allowed to accept checks for payment sometime last year, I have to do wire transfers now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Once upon a time you could hire a girl with a nice superstructure to take care of these things
    And at only $3.15 per hour and full gold plan medical benefits at $50 per month.
    Plus in the free time she would do all the pack and ship and even load parts or do inspection when needed.
    Those days are gone, the Intel 8008 killed all the fun.
    Back then a PDP or a Nova with software where expensive so a "gal", carbon copies, and file cabinets the low cost option.

A plus to having a human in the loop was that "the gal" would keep track of customers and talk to you about this or that seems to be getting funny or out of the expected range.
    You did not have to go looking for answers, they came to you before you knew to ask a question.

Quickbooks is good, Excel is good, assume there are Execl auto-update templates that can handle much of it.
    I do miss having a "grumpy old lady" running the numbers side and watching my back.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Excel can do a lot. Hire or barter a little time with someone that knows Excel inside and out. They can set up the invoices, create running totals on other sheets etc. One shop I know of was using excel to track components for assemblies to the point when inventory reached a certain level it would generate a purchase order for more components. I'm sure what you want to do could easily occur in Excel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do not totally disagree, but what you say is not true

Liar!!

j/j.....couldn't resist as you so often start like that

if you read their site carefully, it is true. They still permit file downloads to the desktop from the cloud for the US version, but have stopped doing so for the CDN. Direct from their technical support and also mention somewhere on the page. It is simply impossible port your file away once on the cloud to the desktop version for the CDN edition.

Your call as whether you think they'll do so eventually for the US as well. I won't be part of the fray. I'm done with software lock in and forced cloud migration.

On the overall quality of QB, really no complaints for what its intended for. Its robust and good for small business but it has limitations. Their locked in cloud policy is what spurred me into looking for alternatives but there are plenty of other advantages to move that will become really important as I try to implement a more integrated approach to systems.

As for longevity, sure, as far as the IT industry allows. The current "Word" doesn't do much more for anyone that the Win 98 version did....but who's going to try to buy a new laptop and install win 98 on it? Good luck. My next system will be browser based from a local linux server, in attempt to step away from the endless new version for the sake of a new version nonsense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    My next system will be browser based from a local linux server, in attempt to step away from the endless new version for the sake of a new version nonsense.
    That sounds like the system EG posted. Are you going that way, or something else? I'm looking for similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    That sounds like the system EG posted. Are you going that way, or something else? I'm looking for similar.
    EG's was accounting but I need something more like an ERP with MRP (which of course includes accounting). I'm seriously thinking about ERPnext which does a lot. I got it running a server beside me here and am spending a bunch of time learning it

Its not like I'm Consolidate Flange Inc but we've grown a bit and what use to be easily managed in a few heads now seems so overwhelming complex. We went from say 10 projects at time to 30 with up to 5 project managers overseeing jobs. All different delivery dates, materials, times, processes....poor plant manager is going nuts and it seeminly happened so fast I've failed in having good systems available. Well, maybe it didn't happen fast, but it seems like it became a major problem all of a sudden.

ERPnext seems really thorough, but it will take a fair bit of effort to get it ready. You really need to be organized to the nth degree (what entrepreneur is?) so that's a challenge and there's a million things to think of. I've got a highly skilled student software engineer who's been helping. Prior to ERPnext we spent about half year working on a estimating system - all about how to do a take off and enter it in as few key strokes as possible. We're going to use that as a way to overcome ERPnext cumbersome "item" enter process. The other thing I like about ERPnext is almost everything can be enter by excel tables...so if you got 3000 customer file entries its easy to load them...provided the data is clean. downside is it seems a fairly skinny base using and contributing to online forums and whatnot so you're kind solving things on your own....which is kind of ok armed with a kid who knows SQL and PHP, as its all opensource

anyway, rambling a bit, but I guess my point is the more you want to do, the more complexity you're taking on. Its seems like an amazing thorough platform, but that complexity still confronts and it will need work and effort to implement. Still, me and the kid's time is cheap compared to phoning up SAP
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-14-2020 at 09:07 PM.

11. Likes Mud liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    EG's was accounting ...
    Not to get into a battle of the Open Sores but ledger can do more than just accounting. I'ts not as complex as Mcgyver's program tho. Take a look ...

Open Source ERP: accounting, invoicing and more | LedgerSMB

The interface looks kind of childish but the guts are good, they take extraordinary measures to comply with best accounting practices. Anyway, it is a bit more than just accounting.

@ Carbide, do you remember the scene in Monkey Business where the camera follows Marilyn out of the office, and the boss remarks to Cary, "Anyone can type." Twas pretty funny.

I don't see any reason you can't do that today. (I mean, have a secretary / book keeper / girl friday; not Marilyn). So it's not "the cheapest way" ... who gives a crap ? Can you take it with you now ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AS much as they annoy me, Quickbooks is still the most affordable answer.
    Too true.

- It is HARD to cheat on.

- It doesn't LOSE s**t if a power outage hits, middle of a posting run.

- It can easily be configured to handle multiple currencies.

- We easily added the ability to generate proper "Bank Giro" invoices with correct OCR and even Luhn-code generation for European use. Got PAID faster and more reliably when those went out as .pdf to emailed invoices, too.

- It already knew how to schedule invoicing for automatic send-out by email, nothing for us to do if/as/when we had other priorities.

If you are not doing payroll, there is no reason to ever have to update it, so you can run it for many years.

I have been on quickbooks since V1 for DOS, and while many days I wish there were a better alternative, I have yet to find one

If they go all subscription[as they have with Enterprise] I will have to find an alternative
    Maybe not. The one I cited?

Used the "international" edition of QB for Win 3.11 but ran it on IBM OS/2, as an "Alpha test" site for InnoDB Virtual PC for OS/2.

The image was then loaded onto NT SP3. It still is. ALL the mainline *BSD's. Mac OS X. Linux. Even modern Windows can run OLD Windows, virtualized.

Been a while? Quarter century or so? It's just Accounting. Pacioli could use it.

Never had to change it, 16 active years, several host OS (Qemu virtualizer).

Get your one into a decent VM image. Future-proof it. QEMU ain't the fastest. But it's F/LOSS and truly cross-platform, even to VM image /container file conversion capability. MORE than fast enough.

Go do something less annoying than learning new systems to post simple transactions.. that Pacioli wudda done the same way, his treatise on "double entry" accounting, 1494 AD or so.

Rocket Science, bean-counting of HISTORICAL transactions was never.

Now strategy for FUTURES? Finance. Not Accounting. Different UNIVERSE, that can be.

The one were your attention needs to focus. So you HAVE a "future" at all.

Invoicing PAST work is a coroner's task. Gots to minimize the time, cost, and distraction of it all.

Ten billion dollar a year turnover dominant-carrier international Telco?

We've DONE invoicing with Multimate, Wordperfect, and MS Word... word processors. Also half-a-dozen databases, PC to mainframe resident.

Earlier Day Job:

Bill, no customer has ever come into one of our stores, bought an item, said 'here is a hundred bucks for the goods.. and here is an EXTRA ten bucks because you keep nicer books than your competitor'... and they never will.
    QB kept that unpaid-for overhead down. I'm good with that.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

welcome to 1962

no, no, hell no

It makes it impossible to see what one is owed
    Just for clarity here...no it doesn't.
    My system was simple, but based upon the accountants (Legal) requirements - so I HAD to print a hardcopy because they had to see it at the end of the year for reconciliation.
    We were only a small company ($850k T/O) so probably 60 invoices per month.
    At the same time as invoicing, a quick look at what was owed and who to chase, was done at the same time - took 5 minutes a month with a calculator

OP is a consultant - how many invoices a month does he actually send?
    That's whay i suggested the simple approach with a paper copy...

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    And at only $3.15 per hour and full gold plan medical benefits at $50 per month.
    btw, Bob - I am assured by people who watch these things that inflation is only 2% a year. Government statistics say so ! and I wear a tinfoil hat ... so in reality, you can do the same thing now ! the seckatary will only cost you $5.67 an hour and health care is only $90 a month !

Cool, hunh ?

Go for it !

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just for clarity here...no it doesn't.
    My system was simple, but based upon the accountants (Legal) requirements - so I HAD to print a hardcopy because they had to see it at the end of the year for reconciliation.
    We were only a small company ($850k T/O) so probably 60 invoices per month.
    At the same time as invoicing, a quick look at what was owed and who to chase, was done at the same time - took 5 minutes a month with a calculator

OP is a consultant - how many invoices a month does he actually send?
    That's whay i suggested the simple approach with a paper copy...
    The problem is.. you can scout for new work. Do what work the scouting found. Or f**k with paperwork. Not easily "all of the above, and all the time."

I'm old enough.. to remember "comptometer" based accounting and BAYS full of clerks.

ALL that s**t was, and could "forever" be done with paper... and a b***dy ABACUS.

Problem is the TIME it sucks up to answer questions you had NOT anticipated.

QB, BTW, is built on a DATABASE engine that generates "report" views, theirs. And/or of your OWN devising. Very different animal from a spreadsheet.

That's why I NEVER permitted my staff to use "spreadsheets" for anything but "what IF".

The longer we worked with proper databases, the happier we were that we could respond "instantly" to the oddest of questions we - or our ULM - could invent, "what if" included for inflation, taxation, FOREX.. or "whatever" ...possible future scenarios.

Make that fast and easy? The decision maker(s) can go right to the task of "getting the big rocks into the jar FIRST".

EX:

One really tough year, the firm mandated a 15% across the board headcount reduction. I arrive, same day, my own next-higher the CFO to sort out WHOM.

My list? The specific, fully-burdened, net contribution to bottom-line revenue every single one of my staff produced. Proven, not theoretical.

My question for each?

"How much revenue do you want to sacrifice, these tough times?"

Exactly ONE department, entire company cut ZERO staff. My one.

Not just because I KNEW the numbers. Because I had sight of it the whole time as part of my job to make it so. Every day of every week, the full ten years.

Guesswork is only good enough for good guessers. I have to cheat with better information to improve the odds.

So I do!

Starting with staying late into the night with a hand-lever pulled "ten key" that lacked even an electric printhead or motor.

Computers just made it faster and for a wider scope. Use that to advantage, or those who do it better, faster, and cheaper simply bypass you, eat your economic remains, later.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first post wins it. Wave is cheap and SUPER easy. Links to your bank accounts and keeps track of invoices really well. It will also do things like remind you when invoices are past due via email and auto-resend reminders, that wort of thing. Lots of functionality and cheap.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    ALL that s**t was, and could "forever" be done with paper... and a b***dy ABACUS.
    The tellers at all the banks in China had an abacus at their station until very recently.

Then they went to the "can't speak through it" glass windows and little cage thingies for shoving your stuff through.

Now they try to force you away from the tellers entirely, they have these huge-ass things with 24" touch screens that are so incomprehensible that they have to station a bank employee at each screen to guide people through the process.

Progress is our most important product

p.s. A trip to the bank now takes longer and is far more exasperating than when they used the abacus. In the past it was just the line that was annoying. Now its the whole experience.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default GnuCash

Quote Originally Posted by Darshin View Post
    Too many invoices lined up every week and I cannot keep a track of unpaid ones. Any one using a quick invoicing system? I'd love to have inventory management but being a consultant to businesses, am happy with just invoice, quote & may be track payment stuff.

I'd love to see something around $5/10 per month mark. Any one here using something around that range ?

I use a windows computer
    I was wondering if you've considered GnuCash. It is Open Source, works across platforms (Windows/Linux/Mac), and caters to the usual needs of small businesses (quick invoicing, etc.). It is a standalone ("offline") application that's very simple to use and just works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had a 2014 version of QB pro and my new book keeping company switched us over to QB Online. I hated it and it was sorry ass slow. Early last year I switched to QB Pro with 3 seats. Made my book keepers boss do it. She had to send our files to QB and they converted and sent back. Took over an hour. When we got them back QB had a lot of stuff to think about for a very long time. When the PC finished all was well. We even brought payroll back in house. Payroll is direct deposit. We have the manufacturing setup and it was easy enough for me to learn without a manual. I do pay a subscription and when I place a call I get very fast response. Callbacks in minutes. They were a huge help when I set up all 3 computers to talk to each other. Got myself a bluetooth headset and set up each workstation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For me, my goal in bookkeeping is to do the least amount of it possible.
    The idea of running some kludged together open source thing, that some guy wrote in Mom's basement, to save a few hundred bucks, and needs constant fussing with, is not for me.
    I have been running QB pro, desktop, for 20 plus years now- and the great thing is, its easy to hire people who can run it, fix it, and deal with it for me. I have had a series of part time, paid by the hour bookkeepers, usually one afternoon every two weeks, or even one afternoon a month- and they can walk in, sit down, and get to work on QB.
    Then, at the end of the year, I upload a backup to dropbox, and my accountant can do my corporate taxes in a day or so, cause its Quickbooks, and everybody understands it.

Yes, I suppose I could run a six volt truck on chicken manure, too, and save money- but using the industry standard is so much easier.

You can still get desktop QB.
    You can run payroll with it, although you do pay a yearly fee- but I do direct deposit, takes ten minutes to do payroll, and its done.
    The amount you pay yearly for QB, say $400 or so- its how many hours of a $50 an hour bookkeeper?

A lot of the guys making recomendations here DONT run businesses, DONT invoice, DONT have payroll, but are really really good at saving money.
    That is not me- I am in business, I have to be able to print up an profit/loss, or an accounts due, or a monthly or quarterly employee payroll report, which I can do in 30 seconds with QB.
    Do you send out 1099s? W2's? monthly quarterly or yearly state taxes? all a snap in QB.

If you really expect to have a tiny one man business with 3 or 4 invoices a month forever, something like Wave is a good idea.
    If you actually plan on being in business, growing your buisiness, and making more money in the future than you did in the past, I would just bite the bullet and go with QB Pro.