Surveilance Camera and Recording Set Up. What's the current viable methods? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    +1 That's who makes the Qsee hardware I like.

I'm all ears -
    Yeah if you tear down most IP cameras these days you will find Hikvision components. This has the added benefit of being able to interchange firmware on the neutered costco/sam's club rebranded ones and make them fully functional Hikvisions.

In regard to the the Purple drives, they are basically their enterprise series with an interesting buffer that writes to disk more efficiently than any other drive. So you have the reliability of the enterprise series, which is the best in the industry, and the buffering system, that puts literally ever frame to disk. Many lower end drives can't actually keep up with the super fast data stream and you end up losing tons of frames, usually randomly.

So why does that matter? Because the lost frame may very well be a perfect shot of the face of guy breaking in, or any other important moment in the event.

Regular drives throw away parts of the buffer when they can't keep up, to keep up fluency. These drive are designed to never end up in this situation, and if they do, act appropriately.

- Adam

2. Likes Mud, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

65' is actually about half the distance you should expect from a modern bullet cam. 4MP resolution at 20FPS tells me right away that it is not actually a 4MP sensor, but instead an up converter to 4MP res. A true 4MP image sensor would do a minimum of 30FPS.

That price is about double what should expect to pay for the specs.

No doubt it looks great, but it is an upscaled 3MP cam (3MP is plenty)that is missing 2 rings of IR leds.

Talk to me, friends.

- Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Adam,

Its not that I'm dumb, but this is a world I've never played in and I'm lost. Can you recommend specific cameras for inside and outdoor, along with the recording system? And how do I tie the system into the internet?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    Adam,

Its not that I'm dumb, but this is a world I've never played in and I'm lost. Can you recommend specific cameras for inside and outdoor, along with the recording system? And how do I tie the system into the internet?
    Yes glad to.

What are your needs? What are you trying to cover? square footage, indoor, outdoor, how many entrances/exits. what is the purpose of the system, are you looking for security recording to review later in the event of an incident, or are you looking for a guard in shack type set up where someone monitors the cams all day?
    Budget?

-Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Adam (or anyone else with experiences), I have this in my cart, and was about to pull the trigger:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C6...7PC&psc=1&th=1

If not this, what else would you reccomend?
    I've got a 50x30 shop I want a camera inside of, one on the shop looking at the house 60ft away, one on the house looking back at the shop, one on the back porch (>15'), one each end of the main porch looking at each other (79' apart), and one very hi res looking out up the drive (50ft). I'm not an IT whizz, but I know help is available on the net (like you for example)...

I don't have a cable to my shop, so was looking at wireless, but I can easily string a steel wire (attic to attic) and single Ethernet over there, or should I just use two seperate systems - or are the wifi ones good over this range?

I want to record, but also stream to my phone...

PS, sorry for the hijack!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I installed a ubiquiti system. It is an ip based system and is very affordable. Not sold as a system though you need to buy the nvr and however many cameras you want. I currently have 3 cameras on mine and I plan to add a few. One of the cameras is 1200' away at the end of my driveway. This communicates over a 900mhz link back to a radio at the shop. One in the shop and another on the driveway. The down side is that it takes some network understanding to install. Not terrible but not plug and play either. The ubiquiti stuff is available on amazon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by makezee View Post
    Yes glad to.

What are your needs? What are you trying to cover? square footage, indoor, outdoor, how many entrances/exits. what is the purpose of the system, are you looking for security recording to review later in the event of an incident, or are you looking for a guard in shack type set up where someone monitors the cams all day?
    Budget?

-Adam
    Thanks Adam,

What I think I want to cover is two physical driveway locations separated by about 600', and about 400' from internet access. Then the shop structure (300' from internet, also need to get internet to the building) should have two cameras outside and two? inside. I would like to be able to see real time from the internet, but the main purpose is to review in the event of an incident.

Budget could go to $2500, more if necessary to make the distinction between barely usable and nice.

As a separate question, what is the best way to get internet 300' to the shop?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_C View Post
    Adam (or anyone else with experiences), I have this in my cart, and was about to pull the trigger:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C6...7PC&psc=1&th=1

If not this, what else would you reccomend?
    I've got a 50x30 shop I want a camera inside of, one on the shop looking at the house 60ft away, one on the house looking back at the shop, one on the back porch (>15'), one each end of the main porch looking at each other (79' apart), and one very hi res looking out up the drive (50ft). I'm not an IT whizz, but I know help is available on the net (like you for example)...

I don't have a cable to my shop, so was looking at wireless, but I can easily string a steel wire (attic to attic) and single Ethernet over there, or should I just use two seperate systems - or are the wifi ones good over this range?

I want to record, but also stream to my phone...

PS, sorry for the hijack!!!
    I would stay far away from wireless. quality is never very good and you end up with terrible frame rates, or terribly resolution/compression.

That system looks good. You will likely need a bunch of cat5 or cat6 (6 if you can afford it). it may come with some, but it's rarely long enough for a real install.

The only potential issue i forsee would be they do not list the lens size so far as i can see. The lens is responsible for what you actually see, such as a 2mm lenses would be super wide and look far away, where as a 12mm would be really tight and zoomed in. different lenses are better for different shots you are trying to get. The good thing is that it is ONVIF compatible, so down the road if you wanted to swap a 12MM camera in, it should be pretty much plug and play.

-Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    As a separate question, what is the best way to get internet 300' to the shop?

The easiest way to extend internet 300' or much further, up to several miles (line of site with no obsgtructions) is:

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M5: Computers & Accessories

You need two of them, one for each end. I do the engineering for some radio stations and we have used these very reliably to extend internet. One link that we had up for 3 years with no interruption was 750' and the link speed was 50Mbps.

The link to the camera at the end of my driveway (1200' away through the trees) is about 10Mbps using Ubiquiti M900 radios. 900Mhz does better with some obstruction.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You 300' should be an easy Cat6 run. I am assuming you have a modem/router somewhere and are trying to get to an outbuilding of some sort? So just run a cable from that device to a router/accesspoint at the end of the cat6 run and you will be good to go. You can usually find buried electrical conduit somewhere to run between buildings though i can't be sure of your layout.

That 600ft run could be tricky. It is out cat6 spec but will almost definitely work, the spec requires 1000Mb speed to meet spec, but the cameras only run at 100Mb anyway so loosing that speed wont matter at all.

3MP cameras at a minimum, but 4 and 5 are becoming the norm these days. a DVR with 2TB to 8TB should be plenty for 1 or 2 months of 24/7 recording.

I would choose lenses carefully as to what you want to cover. wide angle (cover everything, low detail) vs zoomed in (cover a small area, high detail).

as far as brands go, i generally use Hikvision for installs. The price is right the quality is great and they are reliable.

That budget should be plenty for what you want if you are looking to run the cabling yourself. If not, labor might eat it up pretty quick.

If you have underground conduit running everywhere it should be pretty easy to get cabling where it needs to go.

-Adam

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Geovision USA Vision Systems | Digital Video Surveillance Systems makes a card to go into a computer that you plug your cameras into.

You set it up in a generic pc box with at least 2 HDD in RAID so you never loose data, a UPS for power backup and the best cameras you can buy high def good in low light.
    Put sensor lights outside if needed as well.
    1 Terra byte drives should be ok can go larger now as they are cheap enough.

Then you can work on the system fix it without really any hassle, all the institutions out here use this system.

Out here you need a security licence to install cameras.

Most set top box setups you cannot fix, some run linux etc do not have the functionality of the custom system. Set top boxes are built to a price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Image quality is everything, if you want to cover a drive way, you must ensure if its to be useful you have enough definition to read a license plate, other wise its not going to be much real world use. Try and consider each location and work out what it is you need to see there detail wise. Its how the pro's that do shop CCTV and such work out number of cameras and location. Its not based on what system gets best reviews, but the simplicity of deciding minimum feature you need to see and were you need to see it.

Great coverage on entrance - exit is normally one of the key things, its here people are travelling in a given direction in a narrow area that gives you the great mug shot potential, assuming decent fencing, covering the gate way in higher detail gives you the mug shot you need to track people down.

As to multiple cameras and the wireing, cat 5E network cables cheap by the large box, (comes rolled into a box, pulls out way easier than unspooling off a real) at least it is over here, putting the plugs on it is fiddly, but not hard and its so much easier to run the cable with out pre attached plugs any how.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    Image quality is everything, if you want to cover a drive way, you must ensure if its to be useful you have enough definition to read a license plate, other wise its not going to be much real world use. Try and consider each location and work out what it is you need to see there detail wise. Its how the pro's that do shop CCTV and such work out number of cameras and location. Its not based on what system gets best reviews, but the simplicity of deciding minimum feature you need to see and were you need to see it.

Great coverage on entrance - exit is normally one of the key things, its here people are travelling in a given direction in a narrow area that gives you the great mug shot potential, assuming decent fencing, covering the gate way in higher detail gives you the mug shot you need to track people down.

As to multiple cameras and the wireing, cat 5E network cables cheap by the large box, (comes rolled into a box, pulls out way easier than unspooling off a real) at least it is over here, putting the plugs on it is fiddly, but not hard and its so much easier to run the cable with out pre attached plugs any how.
    I agree fully. Thats why i harp so hard on lens choice. you can put a 12mm lens on a camera facing directly at choke point and you will see every detail of any little thing that goes in or out of that point.

I also agree that buying a big box of cat5 or cat6 (its made the difference for long runs for me) is infintely better than trying to use remade cables. even if they make the run, 9 times out of 10 you have to cut the end off anyway to fish it through somewhere. As far as putting the ends on, do it five times on scrap cable and you will be good for the rest of your life.

-Adam

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We use SVAT systems from Brickhouse security. Work really well and not too costly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want to give a plug to Adam (Makezee). His recommendations seemed good so I contacted him,sent CAD drawings of the shop, photos, and a Google earth shot. He purchased the hardware and set it up before forwarding it to me. He charged a little for the consultation and hardware set up. It made the purchasing and installation relatively painless and I did not have to return anything because I misread the specs or compatibility.
    One note, putting ends on Cat6 cable is relatively easy. I did a few with the help of an employee that is not color blind. In natural light I could do it, but in areas with just fluorescent lighting I let the employee do them. All the instructions and you tube videos say to cut your wires off in a straight line. We found that cutting them off at a slight angle made it easier to start them into the ends as you are not trying to get them all started at one time.

17. Likes Zahnrad Kopf, makezee liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the kind words. If anyone else has any questions or wants a similar set up dont hesitate to ask. Either on here, or through email [email protected]

Just a note, Fred is using the EZ-RJ45 tool and connectors we provided him. It is an excellent tool wherein the wires push all the way through and out the cable end. The tool is combination of a crimper and cutter so it crimps the wires and cleanly cuts the excess off in one motion.

With a standard tool, you would need to cut straight for a proper termination. That being said, with the EZ tool available, there is little reason to use a standard tool anymore.
    logo-2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a friend that is using a FDT system, the camera kept ejecting the SD card, he called them and they are replacing the camera for him. Customer service would be my first requirement.
    Link to his model.

FDT 96p HD WiFi Dome IP Camera (1.3 Megapixel) Outdoor Wireless Security Camera FD793 (White), Plug & Play & Nightvision

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to clarify, when I mentioned an angled cut on the wires, this is when you have them trapped between your forefinger and thumb and before you feed them into the connector. Makezee's photo shows them after feeding into the RJ45 connector. We started cutting the group about 1/8 off of square to make the number one wire a little longer than the #8 wire, when you feed this into the connector the channels or holes the wires feed trough are not much larger than the wire and we find it easier to manipulate them a couple at a time instead of all at once. The tool does indeed cut the wires off close and square when you do the final trimming and crimping. Every internet instruction we watched said to cut the wires off square before feeding them into the jack. We did it both ways and found the out of square cut to be better. All told we only did about 15 connections so far so I am not an expert yet and never will be as when we get this project finished the tool will go into a dark corner and it will be a long time till we see it again.

21. Likes makezee liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Digging this up to see if there is anything to update. Sales this weekend have me wondering on this subject. Considering a minimum 3 camera system, up to 6 cameras. Alleyway is approximately 24' across and would like to have CLEAR and DETAILED resolution up to 20 - 30 feet from each camera. Definitely would like to have clear license plates and identifiable faces when presented.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

New risks to worry about. Seems that the most popular brands of IP cameras have a backdoor that can and has been exploited.

Hikvision Cameras Hacked Using Backdoor - KoDDoS Blog

Surveillance Cameras Made by China Are Hanging All Over the U.S.

Dahua, Hikvision IoT Devices Under Siege — Krebs on Security