Surveilance Camera and Recording Set Up. What's the current viable methods? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    New risks to worry about. Seems that the most popular brands of IP cameras have a backdoor that can and has been exploited.

Hikvision Cameras Hacked Using Backdoor - KoDDoS Blog

Surveillance Cameras Made by China Are Hanging All Over the U.S.

Dahua, Hikvision IoT Devices Under Siege — Krebs on Security

That is just crazy. I was pondering this EXACT thing about imported security devices when I was writing my post. ( was thinking along the lines of the huawei reports )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup. One of the reasons I'll never buy a Lenovo computer, or other purely-owned by China device if I can avoid it. But I know that my Dell's are mostly Chinese, and likely have exploits somewhere, so some work I do is always off-line.

We really need to have some secure PC-level computer manufacturing controlled entirely in-country, doubt that'll happen until it's too late.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    We really need to have some secure PC-level computer manufacturing controlled entirely in-country, doubt that'll happen until it's too late.
    Why ? So that the NSA can backdoor you instead of Huawei ? What difference does it make ? In fact, Huawei probably cares less about what you do than some fuckwit FBI agents.

If you want security ? Stay away from the Internet and keep your hardware under lock and key. And get something quite old, from before they started putting a bunch of crap into the cpu that you don't know about or understand. I don't understand it either but at least I know it's there. In ALL modern Intel processors.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    Digging this up to see if there is anything to update.
    One thing I didn't see anyone mention is, if you are going to do cables ? Get a tester. An okay one is maybe fifteen bucks ? Saves a ton of aggravation. And the end fittings matter too. The good ones are easy to use. The cheap ones are a bitch.

There's also fiber-optic cables for really long runs. It's a little more expensive but not bank-busting. Definitely more reliable.

4. Likes adama, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Follow up. Got a 4 camera Zmodo set up. Seems to be okay. I need to reposition one camera so that it will be able to read license plates. Have lots of footage of racoons stealing cat food. Nothing more serious so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no great vision to impart (pun intended) but after a good friend distributed 2000+ systems (area distributor) of over 100k cameras total, and he helps me on this type of stuff, and I help him, a lot of experience is gained.

One wants the best possible cameras and more importantly optics, for the least amount of money.
    One wants a reasonably good sw NVR.
    Many (free) are very poor.

One usually wants a small amount of storage.
    If You are not Fort Knox, it is unlikely You will be trying to identify visitors from 3 years ago who drove past on a motorbike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Digging this up to see if there is anything to update. Sales this weekend have me wondering on this subject. Considering a minimum 3 camera system, up to 6 cameras. Alleyway is approximately 24' across and would like to have CLEAR and DETAILED resolution up to 20 - 30 feet from each camera. Definitely would like to have clear license plates and identifiable faces when presented.
    I've been very happy with my Alibi stuff so far. I'm running 4MP IR cameras, 5 domes inside and 6 bullets outside, all recording 24/7 at their highest resolution and frame rate. I have I think a 2TB (maybe 4?) hard drive in the NVR, and it stores right at 8 days of recording from all 11 cameras.

So far this is the worst crime I've caught on camera... being too cute. (For reference, the building is 96' long.) Our new shop mascot - Wild Fox! - YouTube

In case you want to look it up:
    NVR ALI-NVR5116P
    Bullets ALI-NS3014R
    Domes ALI-NS1014VR

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    Follow up. Got a 4 camera Zmodo set up. Seems to be okay. I need to reposition one camera so that it will be able to read license plates. Have lots of footage of racoons stealing cat food. Nothing more serious so far.
    Just checking in to see how that is working out for you. ( curiosity )

Post Thanks / Like

Just checking in to see how that is working out for you. ( curiosity )
    i haven't had anymore theft that i am aware of. I have had some power outages that caused the system to reset and lost several weeks of recordings.

We repositioned one camera to watch the toolchanger on one machine to see if we could catch it hanging up. Of course, the damn thing won't hang up now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    i haven't had anymore theft that i am aware of. I have had some power outages that caused the system to reset and lost several weeks of recordings.

We repositioned one camera to watch the toolchanger on one machine to see if we could catch it hanging up. Of course, the damn thing won't hang up now.
    Ahh, problem solved!

11. Likes Mud liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just as an update for passers by in the future -

We ended up buying a Reolink system. At first, we purchased it as an experiment just to see what we would get. They had a generous return policy, so if I didn't like it the whole thing would be simply lost time leading to educational value.

Bought an 8 channel system to give room for upgrades/additions. 2TB storage. 4MP POE dome cams. It took about 10 minutes of bumbling around to figure out the menus, and another 2 hours of dickering around with network configs for email alerts and such, but overall I'm very pleased with the performance and price so far.

Fair warning - ( and this doesn't seem to be an individual issue given that these systems almost universally come from china ) - Put your common sense thinking cap on when reading the destructions. Some of it is downright Fanuc worthy chinglish. Some of it, though is halfway decently done. Be prepared to make adjustments to the settings if you want email updates. The first few nights the account we used received thousands of alerts.

We did have to temporarily disable one of the old security lights that is motion triggered because for some reason it was going off constantly despite its settings and this was triggering the motion alarm of a camera, causing a cyclic havoc. The pictures are pretty darn good. I was pleasantly surprised and satisfied. The night time B&W mode is not as good as I might like ( headlights wash out a fair area ) but this might be due to the area being decently lit in the first place so I have changed them to not switch to night mode and remain in "daylight" "color" mode to see what happens.

Credit where credit is due - Reolink seems to at least spend some effort explaining things fairly well and have a decently helpful support area.

Overall, it was good enough that we bought another one for the home.

13. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BW mode is favoring IR and slamming the gain, so any light source is going to blow it out. What you might try (depending on the size of the area in frame) is to get a few IR lamps and fill the area with IR illumination. that way the gain will stay relatively low and the odd stray light source wont completely overload it. Most of them have a small photocell in them so they will only turn on when it gets dark.

During an install one of my guys hit one in BW mode with a green laser pointer (not sure why ha) and it knocked the image sensor out to where it needed to be turned off for about 10 minutes before it recovered and got an image again.