What's new
What's new

Taft-Peirce Surface Grinder Shipment Disaster

nobrakese28

Cast Iron
Found a TP #1 in nice shape with double micro-verniers at a dealer in Pennsylvania, the machine was guaranteed to please according to dealer.

I went ahead and purchased the machine for $2500, $1750 for the machine, and $250 for crating,and $500 for shipping to Los Angeles. About three weeks later and several shipping delays later I decided i would pick the machine up from the warehouse myself...

The machine had broken through the crate, and has been thoroughly damaged. The dealer was supposed to build a "strong crate", looking at the photos it is far from it. I have built far stronger for far smaller machines.

Waiting for seller to call me back.

Any suggestions?

IMG-8974.jpg
IMG-8975.jpg
IMG-8985.jpg
IMG-8981.jpg
IMG-8973.jpg

Hello Nobrakeses,
Tell me who this dealer is so I can avoid them.

That would just barely make the framework for a chicken coop. No way is that adequate as a "crate". In fact, it was clearly inadequate as a pallet, given the large chunk of particle board torn out of the bottom.

And yes, who was this?

Shipping a small surface grinder can be dangerous. My main concern is strapping the table to the bed and blocking the head down on the chuck. It appears that the shipper at least taped down the table, and blocked it down. I can't make out any damage from the photos. The lower casting can take some abuse, but if the cranks are bent, you have a problem.

Um, rollerway machine. You can't ship it with table on it unless properly prepared or it will bounce and dent the ways.

Also that is the most stable small grinder built. Bottom of crate should have been solid 2x4s with lagging not plywood

Should have refused shipment.

Shipment was refused, got in contact with dealer. They have assured me that I will be made whole, but I may need to take possession of the unit.

The head and table were blocked, he assured me the crate was built with white oak dunnage, I will update tomorrow.

Shipment was refused, got in contact with dealer. They have assured me that I will be made whole, but I may need to take possession of the unit.

The head and table were blocked, he assured me the crate was built with white oak dunnage, I will update tomorrow.

I would be very careful about accepting that shipment. If it turns into an argument between you & the dealer, it could greatly complicate things.
With regards to the crate, did you ask the dealer what he was smoking when he was bragging about the crate quality? Looking at the floor, it appears to be particle board.
Hopefully you paid by Credit card. If so, file a claim with the CC company for services on rendered, they will pull the money back from the dealer & you walk away.

I did not, it was wire transfer. They are a real business so I was not worried about being scammed. I agree about taking delivery and it being a risk. I will not take delivery of the machine without a written statement from the seller directing me to and guaranteeing a full refund.

They have two more Taft Peirce grinders, and they have offered to send me a second unit. But I am worried about going through this ordeal once again.

I did not, it was wire transfer. They are a real business so I was not worried about being scammed. I agree about taking delivery and it being a risk. I will not take delivery of the machine without a written statement from the seller directing me to and guaranteeing a full refund.

They have two more Taft Peirce grinders, and they have offered to send me a second unit. But I am worried about going through this ordeal once again.

If you decide to go with a 2nd grinder, maybe have them just block the head & ship on a flatbed. This way you are sure that once the grinder is chained & tarped, it does not get moved again until it arrives at your place.

Has nothing to do with being a legit business. Has more to do with when a company already has your money, they often times lose incentive to correct the situation, as unfortunate as it is.

Has nothing to do with being a legit business. Has more to do with when a company already has your money, they often times lose incentive to correct the situation, as unfortunate as it is.

Yup. You have to stick to your guns. Haas (to cite one example) requires—featured prominently in their formal quotes—80% at time of order and the balance at shipping. You simply have to agree with your leasing company (via email, not on the phone) that you won't authorize any release of funds until the machine is installed and you sign the D&A. The leasing company will be happy to tell Haas to ship on their PO or their client will buy a machine from somebody who would like to make a sale.

NEVER pay up front for something to be shipped, especially via common carrier. We've recently refused three deliveries in a row of thinwall aluminum tubing that was supposed to be crated but showed up crushed by chains and load binders. I shudder to think about something like that grinder being handled by freight lumpers...

Hard as hell to make out the post. You picked it up at the "warehouse". Then how did it get damaged in transit? Or did you pick it up at the carrier's terminal? There might be a splinter of white oak in that OSB but it's lost if so.

And have them remove the table, remove the rollers and replace with two wood or plastic dowels before shipment! Any reputable dealer should know this.

Update: Spoke with owner today, he will be sending me a check for the full amount today. I will update the following week.

Thanks,

Marco

UPDATE, the refund check has not arrived, spoke with seller, he told me would wire me the refund as it appears it was lost in the mail.....
I sent an email asking for paypal, as it is instant.

Per his instruction, as well as shipping broker I received the damaged surface grinder yesterday. Apparently it does not affect the claim as they are using third party insurance for the entire amount.

Hoping to receive my refund today, will update.

Stuff actually rides very steady in a fully loaded semi......its thrown about in a smaller pickup van ,and really gets a going over by idiots driving forklifts at 40 mph back and forward.Most freight damage is caused by storemen and forklifts.

Back