What's new
What's new

Take care of yourself D&*#it!

Fal Grunt

Titanium
Maybe the title will get this locked.... I guess it isn't very informative :D

Was writing an email to a supplier this morning to check in on lead time on some parts. I had sent two parts to them, and they started to make one, then on second thought, decided to make the second first, because they were mating parts. Good with me! I just wanted to check in and see if that messed up the delivery dates or not.

As I am typing the email the phone rings. It was the supplier! Great! I had called friday and hadn't heard back, which is what prompted the email this morning.

As soon as I picked up the phone I knew there was a problem. Young guy I had never talked to. Wasn't sure where the parts are, thought that they had already delivered the parts. I asked if XXX was ok?

No.

He died sunday.

WHAT?!

I just talked to the guy a week or two ago. Happy, healthy, chugging along. I wouldn't have called him a friend, but every time we talked, it was usually a 45 minute conversation. Good guy, good machinist, really shocked me.

I don't care about my parts, damnit, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! That goes for all you not so old bastards!

Sucks

I have customers I have dealt with for decades that are the same, talk forever on the phone, never met in person

Thoughts to his family, hope it all works out on your end

To take the edge off a wee bit:
George Carlin "Ding! Two minutes, get your shit together"

Attachments

• gary larson, polar bear.jpg
    gary larson, polar bear.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 443
You never know when it's going to happen. Make peace with your family, acquaintances, and YOURSELF. Regardless of what science says, death is always closer to you today than it was yesterday. Leave the world better than how you found it.

You never know when it's going to happen. Make peace with your family, acquaintances, and YOURSELF. Regardless of what science says, death is always closer to you today than it was yesterday. Leave the world better than how you found it.

Too true. I was taught that we are all condemned to death from the moment of our birth and the only question is when the sentence will be carried out.

What few specifics I do know, I would rather not post out of respect for the family. Not that they are going to read it here...

Suffice to say, it was a surprise and a shock to the family, and I am sure all of the customers like myself.

Unfortunately we're all working toward that day. Sure would be nice to get a few weeks notice though to finish the last jobs and clear the last cheque eh.

Do you know what he died from?

He was from O-HI-O

FWIW I heard an program on NPR the other day (I can't find it right now) explaining how
the average lifespan of the American male has gone down.

It's concentrated in the rust belt (the people pulling down the average),
centering around north eastern ohio, and specifically, Youngstown, Ohio.

Yikes.

I been to Youngstown a time or two.....:crazy:

Here today, gone tomorrow.
It happens day in and day out...sometimes to people we don't know while other times it hits closer to home.

My daughters coach father has been in real bad shape all season, her father in law passes out of the blue. Week later her father passes.

Supposed to be going out with my wives new friend and her husband. Get a call he had a heart attack at 48. Next day we are going to go visit in the hospital but get a call not to come he's brain dead.

New Years Eve I'm at a party and phones ringing...hey its Dave! Dave fell into that employee/friend/family people realm. Recently divorced and dating my cousin, he needed extra money and was interested in machining, I needed helping hands. Great guy, worked hard and eager to learn..after a year he could make parts and TIG weld pretty good. His relationship with cousin went to engaged for a bit then they broke up. He got busier at work and came in less often but he still worked a bit, would stop in for coffee, we'd go fishing and in general we kept in touch.
He was on the people to call after The Ball fell on New Years...It was a bit early, but I eagerly took his call.

Hey Happy New Year Dave my ol Buddy!

A girls voice a bit shaken tells me Dave just past away.
HE went into the hospital a day early as he couldn't urinate and things went downhill fast.

My buddies business has body shop right next door. He often shoots the breeze with the guy who owns it...younger guy in his early 30's with 3 young daughters.
He runs across the street to grab a cup of coffee and get hit by a car, car sends him flying across the street into oncoming traffic and gets hit by a truck.

Live everyday as if it were your last...one day your'll be right.

As I am stumbling around from breaking way too many bones in my younger days and from too many surgerys by doctors Practicing medicine on me trying to repair bits that doctors that needed more practice screwed up. I always tell the youngsters to take care of yourself as you may live longer than you think!

As I am stumbling around from breaking way too many bones in my younger days and from too many surgerys by doctors Practicing medicine on me trying to repair bits that doctors that needed more practice screwed up. I always tell the youngsters to take care of yourself as you may live longer than you think!
How close are you to Youngstown ?.....:D

Make peace with your family, acquaintances, and YOURSELF.

The trouble is you think you have time. Last Friday a 43 year tool maker had a massive stroke. Physically fit, not over weight, nonsmoker, as luck would have it he had his stroke at the hospital due to visiting someone else. Still in ICU, prognosis is dismal at best. He was getting out at the end of May. Nicest guy you could ever meet! Pretty sad!

Brent

That one was a stumbling block for a while, but I think it was more like:

My daughter's coach's father has been

and ass_u_ming that this coach is a female.

At least that's how I had to read it to make any sense of it.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That one was a stumbling block for a while, but I think it was more like:

and ass_u_ming that this coach is a female.

At least that's how I had to read it to make any sense of it.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Same here...the lack of simple punctuation made it awkward reading.
YouTube

Back