Tangible property tax - Page 7
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    April and May I did zero work for the automotive, tool & die, or in general the industrial sectors.

The "hobbyists" kept me busy.

Looking at June, I don't have any RFQ's from industry. Quite a bit of "hobbyist" work scheduled.
    Interesting, maybe I should break things down more. I do not consider gun people hobbyists and one of them has me slammed right now. When I think of hobbies I think of remote control cars, planes, etc, cyclists, fisherman, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Interesting, maybe I should break things down more. I do not consider gun people hobbyists and one of them has me slammed right now. When I think of hobbies I think of remote control cars, planes, etc, cyclists, fisherman, etc.
    What about a 125hp 3cyl diesel garden "pulling" tractor? that guys a triple

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    I haven't read through all the posts so this may have already been suggested. Talk to Ox, he is one of the most reliable contributors here. He's located West Unity, Ohio.

Tom
    Not sure I'd want my address and ph no posted here, unless Ox said it was ok?

4. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hear Taiwan is nice.

6. Likes Ox, triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    What about a 125hp 3cyl diesel garden "pulling" tractor? that guys a triple
    Did you help him create it? When someone says garden tractor or mower I think 25 HP or less. I must be out of the loop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saw this thread late but they do allow reasonable depreciation in Texas. I think I put $15000.00 on my rendition for our Hardinge GT. That is about what the used ones are selling for and they have never challenged me on of any machine values.
    Where Wilson County has gotten to me is on valuations of my interest in 2 oil wells. The first couple of years they estimated the value of the oil that would be still available in 2021 and 2022 as $150 a barrel and $9.00 a MCF on gas. Pretty unreasonable as the gas played out in 2015 and the oil in 2018 and for part of this year the value on oil was negative. The last year on the oil it was valued at over 60 times the real value so my tax bill was more than the revenue. I did some reading on the protest hearings and according to the State Comptroller's website it was pretty clear the local appraisal review board committed criminal acts. I went before the board the next year even though there was nothing to protest and outlined their criminal acts and told them they all should be in jail.

But don't get me started!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohio?.OhiO?? OHIO???
    Yes a good place for a business, lots of open reasonable cost land and the people nice but..
    It is so flat, occupied by a fair amount of buckeye nuts and gets very little snow......
    Can't figure them out sometimes..YouTube
    They also stole Toledo from us but we did get the UP in the deal so I'll let that one slide.

On a more serious note I've know a few to make this move and been very, very happy with the relocation.
    With it's mix it seems a more rational and stable state than most and about as business friendly as it gets.
    I'd say certainly worth a real serious look if you want to move. Stay away from the big cities, go for the mid size places.
    I do not pay equipment and property taxes there along with who knows which is why we have OX to tell me a fool or not.
    If the company owns the boats, sleds, cars and truck... extra tax?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only northwest Ohio is that flat. Ohio got rid of their personal property tax, but they swapped it for a commercial activity tax, which is .25% of your gross. Whether that's better or worse depends on your particular business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Did you help him create it? When someone says garden tractor or mower I think 25 HP or less. I must be out of the loop.
    No, I machined some other stuff for him. I think it was for his Dyno, but I'm not really sure.

I know I machined out some parts for an engine for another garden tractor, but I don't remember the hp, I do remember he said it would be spinning around 10k RPM.

Garden tractor pulls are apparently a big deal. He pulls as far away as Tennessee. If you think of those huge souped up diesel pulling tractors, and minaturize them, that is what he is pulling. Well, he doesn't pull them, I think his 11 year old son pulls them.

I made the comment, the poor kid is going to be disappointed with everything he drives for the rest of his life.

12. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    I saw this thread late but they do allow reasonable depreciation in Texas. I think I put $15000.00 on my rendition for our Hardinge GT. That is about what the used ones are selling for and they have never challenged me on of any machine values.
    Yeah. I have my stuff depreciated down to $57570.00. They seem to be happy with it.

Where Wilson County has gotten to me is on valuations of my interest in 2 oil wells. The first couple of years they estimated the value of the oil that would be still available in 2021 and 2022 as $150 a barrel and $9.00 a MCF on gas. Pretty unreasonable as the gas played out in 2015 and the oil in 2018 and for part of this year the value on oil was negative. The last year on the oil it was valued at over 60 times the real value so my tax bill was more than the revenue. I did some reading on the protest hearings and according to the State Comptroller's website it was pretty clear the local appraisal review board committed criminal acts. I went before the board the next year even though there was nothing to protest and outlined their criminal acts and told them they all should be in jail.

But don't get me started!
    My wife's Wilson County royalties cost her 22 cents last year. Live Oak County, $1.05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    Yeah. I have my stuff depreciated down to $57570.00. They seem to be happy with it.

My wife's Wilson County royalties cost her 22 cents last year. Live Oak County, $1.05.
    In an ad for an appraiser a few years ago, they specified ability to appraise machine shops. At the time there were only 2 other shops in the county so they had eyes on raising our valuations. If they did get someone to meet the qualifications they never raised mine much over my renditions. Once they added $50 to $100 I called and asked why and they said they added that for paper products?!?

The $.22 was that the total tax or amount over revenue? If total tax you probably did not come down to protest it.:-)

Capital Appraisal Group Incorporated was the biggest pack of liars you could imagine. With the collusion of the appraisal review board it was criminal. I am surprised that not one of those meetings ended up with a killing. Probably the only reason was the land owners had too much to loose. The new mineral appraisers are remarkably fair, too bad my wells are shut in now, might have been able to retire with fair taxation.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    Only northwest Ohio is that flat. Ohio got rid of their personal property tax, but they swapped it for a commercial activity tax, which is .25% of your gross. Whether that's better or worse depends on your particular business.
    This would be much worse for us.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The $.22 was that the total tax or amount over revenue? If total tax you probably did not come down to protest it.:-)

Those are taxes for 2019. Wilson County had about 8 pages of figures. It cost them 95 cents to mail it to her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wilson Appraisal District (WAD) for short did send me a form with zero as the estimated value on both wells this year. With all their excesses in the first couple of years they will still be ahead if they keep sending (0) estimates for the next million years. $150.00 a barrel, indeed!