Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tarrifs

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adh2000 View Post
    So what exactly is your point? We should pull the tariffs, buy our sugar from overseas, and let the few remaining producers tank. Might as well at this point, it’s what happens in a global economy.
    Exactly so. They're distorting your own markets - HFCS being a classic example, all for the sake of a small handful of quite rich cane growers who 'own' some of your senators.

Which is why nothing will change and also why the rest of the world has a perfect rejoinder any time the USA starts bitching about tariffs & quotas.

There are other examples, just sugar is so egregious a one that very few people even inside the USA will try to defend it.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adh2000 View Post
    We should pull the tariffs, buy our sugar from overseas, and let the few remaining producers tank.
    Damn straight. No one gave a damn about us, so when it's their turn, let 'em fucking burn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    all for the sake of a small handful of quite rich cane growers who 'own' some of your senators.

PDW
    Maybe but I doubt it. What rich cane growers? More likely the HFCS lobby is promoting the tariffs to prevent sugar imports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That post id hysterically funny.

The overwhelming reason for the growth in HFCS is because you sugar guys stopped imports so effectively so that your controlled market price went stupid. HFCS is the domestic competition.

You deserve it and if you go broke, fine. After all I don't see you & others looking to remove tariffs & quotas off of overseas sugar so your complaint is just hypocrisy.

PDW
    And you would know this from all the way in Australia. We have no sugar lobby, its all the corn growers, they don't want imported sugar either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exactly so. They're distorting your own markets - HFCS being a classic example, all for the sake of a small handful of quite rich cane growers who 'own' some of your senators.

Which is why nothing will change and also why the rest of the world has a perfect rejoinder any time the USA starts bitching about tariffs & quotas.

There are other examples, just sugar is so egregious a one that very few people even inside the USA will try to defend it.

PDW
    WTF are you talking about Rich cane Growers? How do I and my friends become one of those?
    FYI we had a mill which we closed in 2005. Why you ask? It was no longer profitable for lots of reasons. High cost of Fuel, Energy, Natural Gas, permitting, etc. Basiclly a lot of problems mills in the middle of South America and the South Pacific don't have to contend with.

Rich sugar growers, ROFL HAHAHA!!!!! Senator in our pockets? I cant get those fucks to give me the time of day much less sway a vote.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    Rich sugar growers, ROFL HAHAHA!!!!! Senator in our pockets? I cant get those fucks to give me the time of day much less sway a vote.
    Read up on C&H and Dole. Laws never go away