Is there a good alternative to Quickbooks for small shops? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    I have noted the comments and I am reminded that most everything now a days has some kind of time limit of use as regards computer programs of various uses. The never ending upgrades and maintenance fees are staggering yet they do seem to be critical. Without them obsolescence is not far off.

Cost of doing business I suppose. One has to admire those persons who are CPA’s and various accountants and bookkeepers as many of them can make their own way of keeping track and if they wish to old school. Ledger types of things are easily created and there is no need for expensive software which can be a crutch.

It is sad that really some feel trapped with software. I get it. It is not needed by me to balance my checkbook. Sorting through all the things we can use can be annoying. Other times we may find something really quite handy and effective. So far it seems there is no really good standout right now for keeping track.
    It seems the Excel approach is maybe the most long running path as it's been alive for decades already. I have been using an Android app because of the complication of QB, but lately it's refused to deliver invoices even while assuring me it has. That has lead me to thinking maybe simplify even more and find a basic solution to invoicing.
    The little bit of bookkeeping learning I did almost half a century ago is almost gone but I feel I need to get back to the roots of the task.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by drcoelho View Post
    I use Sage accounting software (formerly Peachtree), very happy with it.
    What environment do you use it in, and how extensively? I'm using an old multi-user version of Peachtree because I didn't want to get caught up in Sage's way of doing things. I haven't found a good alternative in the past 10 years, and will have to make a change sooner or later. Is it cloud only now, or subscription only now?

To the OP - Peachtree 2011 can be bought for cheap on ebay in several versions. It works great and is yours forever. Mine has networking quirks on W10 machines, otherwise it's dead reliable. No support to be had though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    I have been using wave apps for about 5 years now, wife found it and it is easy to use. Even credit card payments.
    Wave • Security Check-in
    It looks like Wave is a cloud based app? No qualms about running it on a pc, just have to go to the site and login?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMSentra View Post
    It looks like Wave is a cloud based app? No qualms about running it on a pc, just have to go to the site and login?
    I think your are correct on cloud based. Wife did all the set up stuff but I believe it was minimal.
    I know she really wanted something on a disc to own so not to have recurring fees and still found this to acceptable. (several years ago)
    Wave may be getting into some kind of tax program as well, I think I saw some publicity of it last month on their site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've used GNUCash. It's free and pretty useful.

6. Likes mkd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went with Wave for now with the goal of learning more of what I need as I can. Either to continue with QB or longhand eventually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JaredMcLaughlin View Post
    I've used GNUCash. It's free and pretty useful.
    I have used GnuCash for many years, for running several corporations. I'm retired now and those corporations have been dissolved, but I still use it for personal accounting including my retirement investments (mutual funds, brokerage accounts). It was a little rough in the beginning but is pretty solid now. As with any complex software there is a learning curve, and you need to be comfortable with double entry bookkeeping, but I'm happy with it. Especially the free with no strings part.

Free Accounting Software | GnuCash

-Steve M.

9. Likes mkd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the annoyances of QB can be mitigated with AllOrders add-on. I’ve done two installations, one has 2 seats QB and 14 seats of AO integrated with SolidEdge BOMs. The other has 2 seats of QB and 5 of AO integrated with SolidWorks BOMs. Both installations were hugely successful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    What environment do you use it in, and how extensively? I'm using an old multi-user version of Peachtree because I didn't want to get caught up in Sage's way of doing things. I haven't found a good alternative in the past 10 years, and will have to make a change sooner or later. Is it cloud only now, or subscription only now?

To the OP - Peachtree 2011 can be bought for cheap on ebay in several versions. It works great and is yours forever. Mine has networking quirks on W10 machines, otherwise it's dead reliable. No support to be had though.
    I still use Peachtree 2000 on a Win7 machine.

Bill

12. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

whatever you pick....have your exit planned and make sure it will work. Double check and prove to your self you there is adequate downloading and exporting of files in some common DB or spreadsheet format etc so you can migrate.

None of these firms are operating for you benefit and many will do sneaky things to create brutal lock in. Then they can start putting the screws to you....subscriptions, maintenance etc. All the BS software companies are doing now to maintain profits in the face of product maturation leaving limited ways to increase their value proposition in offering new editions.

For example, QB online Canadian edition ....I bought a little business and tucked it in a year and half ago. They used QB cloud (never do that!) and literally there was no way to download and take off the cloud their QB files. Seriously, despite lots of calls to the help line.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im really loving Free Accounting Software | GnuCash

found how to download bank statements and filter/categorize transactions. makes outputting an income statment for the CPA a breeze, compared to one by one edits to a spreadsheet.
    works on linux and windoz

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    whatever you pick....have your exit planned and make sure it will work. Double check and prove to your self you there is adequate downloading and exporting of files in some common DB or spreadsheet format etc so you can migrate.

None of these firms are operating for you benefit and many will do sneaky things to create brutal lock in. Then they can start putting the screws to you....subscriptions, maintenance etc. All the BS software companies are doing now to maintain profits in the face of product maturation leaving limited ways to increase their value proposition in offering new editions.

For example, QB online Canadian edition ....I bought a little business and tucked it in a year and half ago. They used QB cloud (never do that!) and literally there was no way to download and take off the cloud their QB files. Seriously, despite lots of calls to the help line.
    I dunno bout Canadian version, but I recently downgraded from Enterprise to Premier Desktop, and the only way to do that is to go through QB online.
    export Enterprise to QB online.
    Export out of online into desktop

It is nowhere near that simple, with hand editing of spreadsheet files[Enterprise has more columns and lots of swearing, but it was done.

There is a help level you can get to that has competence.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    I recently downgraded from Enterprise to Premier Desktop, and the only way to do that is to go through QB online ...

There is a help level you can get to that has competence.
    Which means they can pull the plug any time they feel like it. Looking at the history of the software industry, chances are 99 to 1 that some day they will.

Anything that can't export in CSV is a liability.