What's new
What's new

Thinking of Selling Clausing/Startrite Saw--What's It Worth

munruh

Hot Rolled
I upgraded saws in the shop and have this Clausing Startrite saw. It's an automatic. It's fine for just using to saw bar lengths for the bar loader, but when I wanted to do long production sawing I had to baby it. It's all working as far as that goes. I'm thinkin of listing it on eBay or selling it local here. I have attached photos. It's an H250A. I'd appreciate some suggestions on what to price it at. I paid $5,400 for it in 2012.

Attachments

• IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4429.jpg
    IMG_4429.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4428.jpg
    IMG_4428.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4427.jpg
    IMG_4427.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_4437.jpg
    IMG_4437.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 140
I upgraded saws in the shop and have this Clausing Startrite saw. It's an automatic. It's fine for just using to saw bar lengths for the bar loader, but when I wanted to do long production sawing I had to baby it. It's all working as far as that goes. I'm thinkin of listing it on eBay or selling it local here. I have attached photos. It's an H250A. I'd appreciate some suggestions on what to price it at. I paid $5,400 for it in 2012.

I'll give you $50 for it.

Probably worth $1200-2000.

But I can't be sure because my neck is twisted from trying to look at the pictures.......

Roller feed and the broken guide are big marks against it.

I would pass at any price, but somebody out there might see it different and buy it for a grand.

Seems there's a fair number of people shopping for their first auto saw that may not know the downsides to roller feed.

Thats a real Clausing made in England. There new stuff is now made in china.

I was in Travels tool and saw a nice 13 inch clausing lathe
for well over $10,000 I got within 6 feet of it and could tell it was made in china. The cross slide was ROUGH machined not even ground, sad.

Roller feed and the broken guide are big marks against it.

I would pass at any price, but somebody out there might see it different and buy it for a grand.

Seems there's a fair number of people shopping for their first auto saw that may not know the downsides to roller feed.

As someone that needs an auto saw, what are the downsides to roller feed?

As someone that needs an auto saw, what are the downsides to roller feed?

On a dumb old shuttle feed the stock length is your shuttle stroke. That simple. On a newer programmable saw same thing, just automated.

Roller feed feeds stock to a switch you mount on a rod sticking out past the side to approximate the length of cut. This is fiddly and prone to lots of screwing around and disasters. Shuttle always feeds material exactly what you set it to, no switch to adjust or set, no trial cuts.

material often wants to move upwards in roller feed saws. Some have a top roller or guide- Another thing you have to fuck with.

Roller feed may cut shorter rems than some shuttle saws. some roller feed do not use hydraulics so they are simpler. personally, I want hydraulic power downfeed so no hydraulics is a joke to me.

Back