What's new
What's new

Thoughts on using "recruiters" for finding qualified employees ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Tony36 mentioned in another thread months ago they had potential positions for 50 employees and were using every means possible to attract the right people, including a recruiter.

Any examples, good, bad or neutral using a recruiter, any "value added" aspects to same, and any ideas on how much they get paid per sucessfull placement ?

Tony36 mentioned in another thread months ago they had potential positions for 50 employees and were using every means possible to attract the right people, including a recruiter.

Any examples, good, bad or neutral using a recruiter, any "value added" aspects to same, and any ideas on how much they get paid per sucessfull placement ?

many companies offer $1000 to $1500 if new employee recommended gets hired after 90 days. recruiter might actually get more than just a employee recommending somebody.
i replied to Craigslist ad and got telephone call like 20 minutes later. recruiter asked questions on my experiences and preferences and had 3 positions at 3 different companies and recommended one that best suited me. i was unemployed at that point 3 weeks sending about 2 or 3 resumes a day with not much success. had interview that week got hired started 3 weeks later (after July 4th holiday) so i was unemployed 6 weeks but last 3 weeks i knew i had a job to start at.
so better recruiters talk to hiring companies and people looking for jobs and do better job at getting the best people for certain particular companies so success rate at hiring after 90 days is higher and they get paid

It's very normal here but expensive. That's why it's more or less only used for high wage white collar employees. An add in a local newspaper is the normal way to go for machinists. For a number like 50 then a national newspaper.

Not trying to be annoying but as healthcare, vacation time etc. is mandated then companies with a good reputation usually find it easy to get new employees. Wages for machinists don't really vary enough to get people to switch jobs just for money.

We use recruiters/temp agencies to find people.

Cons: lots of poor candidates to weed thorough before finding a couple good ones. Cost about double the hourly wage of the employee to go through a recruiter.

Pro: no benefits need to be paid to the employee until you make them a full time permanent. The candidate pool is larger for the recruiter than an average person has access to. If the person doesn't work out you can cut ties with minimal risk. The recruiter does most of the leg work for you.

It is a mixed bag all in all, but it is another tool in the belt.

GOOD ones, solid firms, can be golden. We used "Manpower", the higher turnover of our Manhattan offices 'til I go it sorted.

Appointee came in basically on premium "temp" rates. They, we, and Manpower knew in advance what the fee would be if they wanted to stay AND we wanted them to stay. It was a percentage of starting annual wage. Yah ALWAYS place the top slot FIRST. Right one helps with the rest. Wrong one has to be shed, at once.

There was ALSO a pro-rata refund if they didn't stay a minimum period. Fee wasn't even due "right away". ISTR at least a month after hire, perhaps more. OTOH it was a long time ago. late 1980's.

Even earlier days, (around 1970) we had used "Tech Serv", or some such, metro DC area, for electronics assemblers all the way up to graduate Engineers.

Up to the employer to observe and assess after that.

Serving a while IN a job AS a temp, meant those who did not fit had not had to guess.

Neither did we!

I'd do it again. Took about a year, 55 R/T DC-NY in 52 weeks, but eventually, we had staffed from Office Manager down to receptionist, either off Manpower placements, or the people THEY found. Did have to send-off a Director of Engineering and two VP's, but that's a different problem, different level, not a "recruiter" arena.

There you use "head hunters" for utmost discretion. You tell them in advance what the "targets" be. Those potential hires are usually already legends in the industry. And ALWAYS already in well-compensated employment.

But I'd do the "vanilla" staffing ONLY with a proven-performer of a "recruiter" as well.

Yah don't want to become a revolving door or a milch cow.

Recruiters and employment agency's are two different things. An recruiter just gets a lump sum payment upon completion of the hire. It can be as high as a half a years wage, here in Ohio if you get placed by an recruiter, and quit the job you must pay the Fee back to the company.
Agency's are different in that you work for them, until the company you work for decides to hire you. Sometimes bad company's will string the employee along for extended periods.
The job search site Job Search | Indeed is a great resource to see the reviews of the different agency's.

My experience with employment agencies in my area has been poor. They don't seem to understand what a machinist does so every Tom, Dick and Harry button pusher resume gets sent over. I have even given them keywords to look for, and they can't get that right. Needless to say, it's easier for me to do it myself(but I'm not trying to hire 50 people).

As far as how much they get paid, IIRC it was like 30% or so of the employees wage until they were hired on full time.

I was placed at a company once by an employment agency. It was a decent sized company that paid well and had good benefits, but it was monotonous work. They were supposed to hire me on full time after 3 months but they screwed around and it wasn't until 6 months(after me pestering the hell out of them) that I was hired on. Then once I was hired on full time they laid me off 3 months later. Come to find out this company has a known practice of bringing on people and ramping up production for 6 months, then laying off people slowly over a few months. Every 2 weeks you would no longer see 10 or see people. This was about 12 years ago and from what I understand, they still continue this practice.

Needless to say the ones I have dealt with don't seem to care as long as they get their dollars.

OT: Choosing EMPLOYERS

they screwed around and it wasn't until 6 months(after me pestering the hell out of them) that I was hired on. Then once I was hired on full time they laid me off 3 months later. Come to find out this company has a known practice of bringing on people and ramping up production for 6 months, then laying off people slowly over a few months.

Off-Topic, but I had that sort of surprise only the one time. Still a naif, and in my teens.

Therafter? Pre-internet days? Hell... colour TV and life after 67 were both still luxuries, denied to many.

Even so, it just was not that HARD to find out what sort of firm, what sort of PEOPLE, what sort of LEADERS .. and what sort of economic situation was part of any given prospective employer's "package".

THEY screen prospective employees for a "fit".

Prospective employees should pay every bit as much attention to screening THEM for a "fit".

Those days, I'd go see a banker I was to over time call an asset for more than 30 years. On the QT, he'd check the firm's finances for me.

USUALLY, not just "once in a while", I'd get back "You seem to know more about the company than I do!", Not in a snotty way, either. The screeners and decision-maker's actually appreciated that I had BOTHERED to find out all I could before I came in for the interview. In time, it was to prove one of the best "positive strokes" towards our finding mutual agreement, too.

It wasn't long before I was able to put another "hard rule" into place. Never again more than two people between the "ulitimate" decision-maker. The CEO or Chairman and myself.

That does NOT mean I was the third or fourth most-important or best paid. It DID mean that my next higher and his had closer sight of what our future held in store and greater ability to shape it for the better. Accordingly, I, too had better sight of what was afoot, could make a wiser choice of stay and help - or go elsewhere and team with a better "winner" if/as/when the signs were they were going to NOT "win".

Nowadays? Internet at fingertips? There ain't much any company can hide.

ifixcnc; said:
The job search site Job Search | Indeed is a great resource to see the reviews of the different agency's.
is there a way to search for recruiting agencies in general or do you have to know the names of them to find any reviews ? For example, if I input keywords "recruiting agency" for Charlotte, NC at the Indeed website, what I get is a list of agencies looking for an employee for their agency....which is not what I'm looking for really.

I dont think there is a good way to do that on indeed. Google search "technical recruiter" in your area and you should find some agencies with google reviews.

recruiters usually need to follow a rule. if they place a person with a company they cannot help that same person find a better paying job else where later if still employed.
if they break that rule usually the company will not do business with them ever again. i was personally told this from a recruiter. if a person quits they will help you find a job. but as long as still employed they are forbidden to help you leave later for another better paying job.
otherwise recruiters could easily cause people to move around many times a year finding jobs that pay a little more. as long as recruiter is well paid by big companies they follow that rule.

is there a way to search for recruiting agencies in general or do you have to know the names of them to find any reviews ? For example, if I input keywords "recruiting agency" for Charlotte, NC at the Indeed website, what I get is a list of agencies looking for an employee for their agency....which is not what I'm looking for really.

Search for an CNC machinist job, and about half of the replies will be from recruiters. Then look at the reviews from the people using that recruiter.

recruiter gets paid based on how bad a employer want to find and hire a person already mostly trained.
obviously if you hire a kid out of a school and pay to have him take classes for a type of apprenticeship or college degree that can easily cost well over $5000 a year and after 3 years thats over $15,000
not sure current prices but i do know just taking a few college night school classes not even close to getting a degree can easily be over $2000 a year
using a recruiter is still often cheaper than paying to train a person or at least thats a factor in decision to pay for using a recruiter

I have signed contracts stating that, so indeed sure.
Presume the employer pays the fee, yes ? Otherwise I can't see how a typical CNC machinist or programmer could live on half salary for a year as the pay is not ideal even at full amount.

Presume the employer pays the fee, yes ? Otherwise I can't see how a typical CNC machinist or programmer could live on half salary for a year as the pay is not ideal even at full amount.

typically hiring employer pays the recruiter fee mostly cause unemployed person usually doesnt have the money and its often a scam if recruiter wants money up front from person looking for a job.
i would worry more about an employment agency. the contract they usually make you use sign prevents you from
1) getting directly hired from company you are working at. you are a employee from employment agency
2) usually the employment agency might get $25./hr (or more) but person actually doing the work might only see $15/hr. $10/hr over 2000 hours a year is $20,000 a year employment agency is keeping
i almost got job through employment agency but when i read all the fine print i decided it was not worth it

Employer pays, and as long as the new hire stays on for the contracted time its no problem. Its Only when the new hire jumps ship that that he is on the hook for the fee, as the hiring company did not get what it payed for.

Employer pays, and as long as the new hire stays on for the contracted time its no problem. Its Only when the new hire jumps ship that that he is on the hook for the fee, as the hiring company did not get what it payed for.

often recruiter gets 1/2 on job placement and 1/2 after 90 days and the decision to permanently hire is made. many companies you are temporary employee for 1 to 6 months. they need time to evaluate the new employee is working out ok or not

Back