What's new
What's new

Thread wires – who uses?

The most common complaint when measuring with thread wires is holding them and measuring at the same time.

Mitutoyo (and others) have these types of thread wires (see links) and they “fasten” to the micrometer anvil and spindle. They can still fall off if not used with care.

When I visit companies here and in other European countries they are the type I see most often used while I believe in the USA 3 individual wires are more common and of course much cheaper.

https://shop.mitutoyo.eu/web/mitutoyo/en/mitutoyo/01.02.07.0122/3-Wire%20Thread%20Measuring%20Set/$catalogue/mitutoyoData/PR/313-101/index.xhtml

64AAA252 Mitutoyo 3-Wire Holder and Thread Wire Set: .225mm Pitch - HigherPrecision.com

These thread wires can of course be bought individually.

My question is: How many know and use this type of thread wire?

I've no idea what happened to the thread title which should read Thread wires - who uses?

I still use wires on anything over 2".

I invested in mitutoyo replaceable anvil thread mics up to 2" years ago. Absolutely love them.

One thing that I learned with wires, make sure your chip pan directly below the threads you're checking is clean! ;)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

These thread wires can of course be bought individually.

My question is: How many know and use this type of thread wire?

I think you mean as sets of three in plastic folders, not truly "individually". But I'll bite.

They show up cheap on eBay or out of PRC, new, used, or NEVER used, so damned cheaply I keep easily 3 sets around.

The old skewl trick was to use a chunk of clay or putty to keep from dropping them into the chip-pan. Never seem to have any handy, so duct-tape serves. Or a tear-off of plastic foam.

That said?

They are "almost never" actually needed, what with a tap, die, nut, bolt, other mating part that has to be matched-to handy. Or working with the few sizes I bothered to purchase thread-mic's for - used, not abused, and ALSO right inexpensive. Also almost never actually used. Threaded goods are a commodity. Diminishing need to have to single-point them these days.

So close to "never" that I am far more likely to rob a wire out of a "set" for use in measuring a hole, or cutting-off a length of it as precisely-sized steel to make or fix something that needs a pin or spring totally unrelated to threads atall. They are longer than they need to be, anyway!

And did I forget to say "cheap"? Much handier than trying to lay-by a similar collection of drill-rod or drill blanks in a whole raft of tiny, but precise sizes.

So they sort of fill a "materials" gap. Or convenience. Nothing to do with threads.

Your move.

Now what?

:)

I think you mean as sets of three in plastic folders, not truly "individually". But I'll bite.

They show up cheap on eBay or out of PRC, new, used, or NEVER used, so damned cheaply I keep easily 3 sets around.

The old skewl trick was to use a chunk of clay or putty to keep from dropping them into the chip-pan. Never seem to have any handy, so duct-tape serves.

That said?

They are "almost never" actually needed, what with a tap, die, nut, bolt, other mating part that has to be matched-to handy. Or working with the few sizes I bothered to purchase thread-mic's for - used, not abused, and ALSO right inexpensive. Also almost never actually used. Threaded goods are a commodity. Diminishing need to have to single-point them these days.

So close to "never" that I am far more likely to rob a wire out of a "set" for use in measuring a hole, or cutting-of a length of it as precisely-sized steel to make or fix something totally unrelated to threads atall. They are longer than they need to be, anyway!

Your move.

Now what?

:)

Jesus H Christ! Ya know, some people (alot of them) want/need measurments of pitch and whatnot. Not just "it fits" :rolleyes5:

Now what? Now I'm going to spam you.

Kid Sister was notorious as an infant for BITING other family members, soon as she had baby teeth to do it with.

She finally quit.. when Mother flashed a set of full-sized ADULT choppers at her, "up close and personal".

Let's see if Gordo is still as wise in HIS second-childhood as to "payback" over damned-foolishness.

:D

Jesus H Christ! Ya know, some people (alot of them) want/need measurments of pitch and whatnot. Not just "it fits" :rolleyes5:

*yawn* You figure "does NOT fit" a useful goal?

Made to a specification is what the real McCoy are made for. Thread mics and gages. Including stuff Gordo MAKES and SELLS. Or tries to sell.

I'm good with B&S / Hexagon. Mitutoyo.

But you already bought yours, as I bought mine. Plus, I DO have the wires and remember how to use them.

You CAN make yer own, one task at a time, as a special need arises, y'know? All you need to know is published, Machinery's Handbook, and "not only" since forever-ago. Tedious distraction, but NOT complicated. I'd just rather not go there, shop-fab OR store-bought, any time there is a better way. Read "usually".

So where's your source of ignorance, this go?

:D

Trust this: Loose wires are like loose screws.. a Gordo.. err. "pain in the arse". They don't "read directly". There is still a bit of math to do. Simple enough, but not as fast or handy as a bespoke measuring instrument. Best left for sizes you cannot justify that instrument for.

Plus - the major makers of those goods don't try to f**k with my healthcare. insult my national politics - or most-recent of Gordon's contrarianisms, he even did a whole thread on it - refuse to return bank details so as to get PAID!

Guess some folk would rather be pitied than prosperous? His life. His choice.

I still have a set of the 3 wire type, then I picked up a reasonably priced used mitutoyo thread micrometer. Luckily it had a decent assortment of anvils because new anvils are pricey. For larger threads, I have some triangle shaped blocks that work like 3 wire method, but provide a flat surface to mic.

These blocks have little wires linking them together, making them easier to handle, and the flat sides help sort of self align as the mic is closed on them.

I cant remember who makes them, I'll check to see later.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

They are called Pee Dee wires and yes I have used them a lot. Starting out I never had to use them I did check the threads with the nut that matched the threads though. Most often when I used them the outfits wanted the threads to be measured and at times there were actual call outs and other times we knew that they insisted the threads be in tolerance. I use white first aid tape on my wires all three together with enough slack yet not too much. I have not lost any wires and I have seen it happen to people yet not many times. Probably one in 30 Machinists today even have them. No I have never used the Mititoyo device and I always check my threads while my part is still in the machine before part off or flip.

I saw those. Once.

Didn't know then if the guy using them (weren't I) had made them or bought them.
I think those are what I have. They're definitely not Pee Dee wires. If I weren't on vacation right now, I'd grab them and post a pic and the makers name. I'll try to describe them better. Two triangle shaped long thin wedges, tethered to each other with a short wire. As the micrometer is closed on to the flats of the blocks, they self align. The reading is then compared to a chart they came with.

Steve.

Here's a set by Spi. Mine are like this, just have a short metal cable instead of what appears to be plastic tubing on these.
e191159c48526d2e6f2cf9cb81e978d0.jpg

Measuring External Threads

member thermite hit it closely.
It's hard to justify ring gauges for infrequent use.
Thread mikes are very acceptable, but have limited range,
Thread triangles are handy on larger combinations of diameter and pitch. With micrometer large enough to gauge the intended part, you're likely equipped to assess the threaded portion.
Thread wires are indispensable for smaller combinations.
Loosing wires is bad planning; lacking clay, heavy grease, plastic foam or single layer cardboard or ie failure to drape paper or shop rag where they will drop, or cleaning chip pan.
Or some are just a doofus without dexterity of a real machinist, and eats takeout Chinese or pizza with a fork.
As J.B. Books [John Wayne] responds to a highwayman's failed attempt to rob him; " Friend, you better get another line of work; this one sure don't fit your pistol."

Being a machinist USED to imply adapting to or circumventing conditions that impede delivering jobs on time with resources or creative means at hand.

Here's a set by Spi. Mine are like this, just have a short metal cable instead of what appears to be plastic tubing on these.
e191159c48526d2e6f2cf9cb81e978d0.jpg

Ah, OK, thanks for that.

Downside is they are only good for Vee-form threads at - or close to - a given angle.

Three-wire method, ROUND wires, can also be used for Acme and a hundred other less-common threads.

It is all in the calculatin', as they WILL at least "repeat" reliably.

I don't often use T wires, but when I do, I find using a piece of Styrofoam to hold the wires in close position helps a lot. It's still a bit tricky but cheaper than that tool for so few times I'd need it.

3882b0269a2295840b152b6f936e11be.jpg

Like $20 but worth not sticking your face in the chip pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back