Thread wires – who uses? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post


    Like $20 but worth not sticking your face in the chip pan


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Twenny bucks buys a packet of 3" x 5" file cards if torn packing isn't elegant enough - PLUS two six-packs of beer.

    Mind.... drunk both at once YOU could end "face down in the chip pan" ennyway?


  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12667

    Default

    I've never tried thread triangles but I'm wondering how pitch diameter is measured with them. Isn't some kind of reference necessary?

    What range of pitches can one pair of thread triangles cover? The radius at the bottom of each pitch varies.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3052
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Now that's kinda dull. You some kind of paranoid? Or just lack the spirit of adventure?

    A bit careful . Oil field stuff and expensive material.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3052
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    Yes they require a reference like the Pee Dee wires do also. They are reasonably prices so I have Pee Dee wires, the triangles, and also had a 0-1 inch thread mics.

    I sold those off. They were very fast to use when I needed them. Mostly mill work and they just are not used.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Yes they require a reference like the Pee Dee wires do also.
    By "reference" do you mean the number to be subtracted from the measurement result? I regard that as a constant and each wire diameter has a different constant.

    I'll repeat my question.

    I've never tried thread triangles but I'm wondering how pitch diameter is measured with them. Isn't some kind of reference
    (component) necessary?

    What range of pitches can one pair of thread triangles cover? The radius at the bottom of each pitch varies.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3052
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    By "reference" do you mean the number to be subtracted from the measurement result? I regard that as a constant and each wire diameter has a different constant.

    I'll repeat my question.

    I've never tried thread triangles but I'm wondering how pitch diameter is measured with them. Isn't some kind of reference
    (component) necessary?

    What range of pitches can one pair of thread triangles cover? The radius at the bottom of each pitch varies.
    yes the triangles come with a formula. I never used them as I never needed to. I probably should sell them. They were for someone else to use or for me in a pinch. Just precaution.

    Pee Dee wires come with a formula. It takes into account the wire diameter. I do not have it memorized.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hatch, NM Chile capital of the WORLD
    Posts
    9,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13662
    Likes (Received)
    10663

    Default

    I like these, though I'm not sure if they are even in business anymore..

    Its basically a thread wire in spring form.. And yes I do use wires on
    occasion, but they are a pain in the ass. These Stupid Ovee gages, you
    just clip them on and measure.. Takes like 2 seconds..

    The main thing is that they are way faster than wires.

    Long thread, you can measure the taper, makes sure its good the
    whole lenght, without messing with wires.

    Plating or a heat treat (if you know the shrink). You know
    EXACTLY where your PD is, and where its going to end up after
    wards.

    Of course you should always check with a thread gage to make
    sure that you will still mate with the other part... Thread form
    and all.



    From this thread years ago when I first found out about these things...
    I've bought a bunch of them on E-bay.. I shouldn't say that because
    now you all are going to go buy them.

    Link ------> Any of you guys use these, OVee spring thread gages?

  8. Likes Spinit, M.B. Naegle liked this post
  9. #28
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Republic of Arizonia
    Posts
    1,571
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    458

    Default

    Gordon, if you supply everyone here a free sample, We'll compare wires to your product and give feedback.....

  10. #29
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Pee Dee wires come with a formula. It takes into account the wire diameter. I do not have it memorized.
    Wires don't usually come with a "formula" although there is a formula that can be used to calculate if a suitable non standard wire is used. Every standard diameter thread wire (3 pcs.) normally has constant that is subtracted from the measurement result.

    This thread has gone way off the OP.
    If the thread isn't a 60 then the constant given doesn't apply.

  11. Likes Nmbmxer liked this post
  12. #30
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Gordon, if you supply everyone here a free sample, We'll compare wires to your product and give feedback.....
    A free sample of what? I just asked a question in the OP and one that has nothing to do with my product

  13. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    2,745
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1049
    Likes (Received)
    1078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I've never tried thread triangles but I'm wondering how pitch diameter is measured with them. Isn't some kind of reference(component) necessary?

    What range of pitches can one pair of thread triangles cover? The radius at the bottom of each pitch varies.
    Mine came from MSC probably 25 years ago. Being "triangles" they each have a different radius on the edges, as in 3 different radiuses. Mine came with a sheet showing the different thread measuring triangle equivalents. They go from #0-80 to 1-1/2-6 TPI for class 2, 2a, 3 and 3a showing basic, min and max pitch diameters. There is also a section showing how to figure out anything not listed from 4 to 80 TPI. Sometimes I hold them to a pair of calipers with some o-rings when I am checking a lot of threads.

  14. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    A bit careful . Oil field stuff and expensive material.
    That can restrict the sense of humour a tad, yes. Certs & liability as they are, I'd want sumthin' a Helluva lot better than thread wires. Calibration-service friendly at that.

  15. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    From this thread years ago when I first found out about these things...
    I've bought a bunch of them on E-bay.. I shouldn't say that because
    now you all are going to go buy them.

    Link ------> Any of you guys use these, OVee spring thread gages?
    Not I. No dust left for them to gather, I have so much s**t already!



    That said, credit is due yah for one of those laughs that isn't usually funny "in real time":

    You don't have to worry if somebody used the ring gage as a die.

  16. #34
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3052
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Wires don't usually come with a "formula" although there is a formula that can be used to calculate if a suitable non standard wire is used. Every standard diameter thread wire (3 pcs.) normally has constant that is subtracted from the measurement result.

    This thread has gone way off the OP.
    If the thread isn't a 60 then the constant given doesn't apply.
    Call it whatever you want. Just buy some triangle gages and use them.

  17. #35
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3052
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    That can restrict the sense of humour a tad, yes. Certs & liability as they are, I'd want sumthin' a Helluva lot better than thread wires. Calibration-service friendly at that.
    Me too yet the shop had no way to even check the threads. As long as the shape it true 60 degrees the wires work fine. Most job shops hesitate getting thread mics, groove mics, 24 inch calipers/ verniers. Yet they want it right so when I need something enough I shop and buy it. Thread wires are very accurate.

    It is actually a chart.

    A picture of one. It should be with your Pee Dee wires.
    Pee Dee Thread Measuring Wires | Thread Measuring Wires - LittleMachineShop.com

  18. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hatch, NM Chile capital of the WORLD
    Posts
    9,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13662
    Likes (Received)
    10663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Not. Gather dust. That said, credit is due for one of those laughs that isn't usually funny "in real time":
    I am totally confused. What are you trying to say???

  19. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
  20. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    553
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    The most common complaint when measuring with thread wires is holding them and measuring at the same time.

    Mitutoyo (and others) have these types of thread wires (see links) and they fasten to the micrometer anvil and spindle. They can still fall off if not used with care.

    When I visit companies here and in other European countries they are the type I see most often used while I believe in the USA 3 individual wires are more common and of course much cheaper.

    https://shop.mitutoyo.eu/web/mitutoyo/en/mitutoyo/01.02.07.0122/3-Wire%20Thread%20Measuring%20Set/$catalogue/mitutoyoData/PR/313-101/index.xhtml

    64AAA252 Mitutoyo 3-Wire Holder and Thread Wire Set: .225mm Pitch - HigherPrecision.com

    These thread wires can of course be bought individually.

    My question is: How many know and use this type of thread wire?

    I've no idea what happened to the thread title which should read Thread wires - who uses?
    I use thread wires at least a few times a week, one reason to check /calibrate plug gages before we use them, and too double check o.d. threads during 1st articles.

    A thread gage is mainly a fit and function gage and nothing more. it doesnt measure your pd. besides thread gages wear. every thread has and acceptable and unacceptable limit, what you do with that info is owns own business. I take threads pretty serious even shit threads on shit jobs, reason being is that how I started as a machinist was in a thread gage shop.

    mostly I lay the wires on my 2 fingers. before my Prat n whitney super mic took a dump a bunch of years ago we checked them that way it was extremely fast and never lost wires. a adjustable mic stand would be second best unless your confident with the fingers.
    On big parts I use grease and lay a white rag below the part to catch the wires if they fall. I have also used rubber bands to hold the wires on bigger dia parts.

    I dont like anything to hold thread wires together on small parts ( like in the link you showed) reason being is that if wires bind up you will get a bad reading. I want the wires to seat.
    as far as the triangles I wouldn't trust them myself, I know others who do. heres why a round part easier to check accurately with a mic then a flat part.

    Thread mics I just dont like the feel. I have a 0-1" that I bought in the late 80's and used them maybe 2 times.

    1st articles I always use thread wires, gage and optical comparator.
    just my 2 cents everyone has a different view

  21. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
  22. #38
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    Mine came from MSC probably 25 years ago. Being "triangles" they each have a different radius on the edges, as in 3 different radiuses. Mine came with a sheet showing the different thread measuring triangle equivalents. They go from #0-80 to 1-1/2-6 TPI for class 2, 2a, 3 and 3a showing basic, min and max pitch diameters. There is also a section showing how to figure out anything not listed from 4 to 80 TPI. Sometimes I hold them to a pair of calipers with some o-rings when I am checking a lot of threads.
    That a triangle has 3 edges is a fact and only common sense and logic that each edge has a different radius. Thanks

  23. #39
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Call it whatever you want. Just buy some triangle gages and use them.
    Why would I want to do that?

  24. #40
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Certs & liability as they are, I'd want sumthin' a Helluva lot better than thread wires. Calibration-service friendly at that.
    "Helluva lot better than thread wires."?

    What do you think calibration labs use?

    Wires for external and balls for internal.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •