Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use them all the time (without the plastic deals) normally on bastards. The clay/putty works good enough if needed.
    A thread MIC would be nice though.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Made this years ago. It might be useful to those that measure with wires but don't have exactly the right diameter on hand. I've even used paper clips and similar when nothing else was available back in the day.

http://f-m-s.dk/4.03.pdf

To go from mm to inches divide by 25.4

3. Likes excello liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A 12 x 12 square of carpet remnant keeps them from getting lost if dropped. Normally I balance two on top of the thread, open the mic about .025" over my expected PD, then hold the one wire on the bottom with one hand, and carefully mic with the other. Bigger threads balance the top wires easier. We do up to 8" threads.

ID threads I make a master go / nogo out of 4140PH to proper dimensions and make my internal threads to that. I wrote a macro to make thread gages on the quick when needed.

5. Likes excello liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

T-Man,
    This sounds pretty similar to the method I use. Sometimes I will stick the wires in foam or use tape, but more often just the balancing act you describe. It can be a pain!

Gordon,
    We use VanKueren (spelling?) brand thread wires. Each "ideal size" 3 wire set is in a vial with a calibration and constant sheet.

I believe these are a better grade of thread wire than the typical PeeDee wire. Maybe more appropriate for checking thread plug gages etc.

We mostly inspect commercial threaded fasteners. We have hundreds of calibrated ring (and plug) thread gages. If parts pass visual inspection and the go/nogo rings, that is typically the end of thread inspection.

If we don't have the correct ring gages, or if parts fail with ring gages, we investigate
    with an optical comparator, thread micrometer, or thread wires.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We also have hundreds of plug and ring gauges, but we also check minor on ID and major diameter on OD threads. They can be out of spec for the thread class, reducing your percentage of thread engagement, but can still pass the plug or ring gauge check. We also 6-step check our NPT threads. We once had parts that were about .090" over on the tap drill, would pass the L1 gauge, but you could not get enough tape or dope on the treads to seal. Air escaped right through the root of the threads. 6 step went in there like a gear shifter on a old truck.

8. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of the threads we make are large enough that the only way we have to measure them is to measure the pitch depth from the OD/ID. For our API we use Box/Pin gages along with form gages to go along with measuring pitch depth.

We get enough specialty threads or parts where customers bring us a part and want us to make it match a newer design or make a newer design fit onto their worn out PoS and it basically boils down to "here make this fit".

We had one customer complain that a chuck we sent them had bad threads on it and once we got into investigating it turns out they had basically a Frankenstein hammer that used an Aussie companies guts in an Indian wear sleeve that had some unknown thread.