What's new
What's new

Time clock recomendations....with no monthly fees

Mcgyver

Diamond
I want to get a biometric time clock, fingerprint scanner type, that we can also enter job numbers with. Someone clocks in, enters a job number etc.

They aren't hard to find, but the ones I finding also expect you pay a month fee per employee. On that I kind of see red.....$1300 for the purchase then you want me to pay $800/ annually in perpetuity? What a rip off, I mean really, the vendor is adding no additional value and incurs no additional costs whether we have 1 or 50 on it or don't use it all.

Anyone know of a biometric clock where you buy it, you own it and don't have to keep paying?

thanks

Will it recognize dirty fingerprints?

we'll see :)

I think its the Pyarmid we're going with, mostly because there are no ongoing fees. I think we should all push back on this trend (I know its been around a long time, but it feels like everyone is going there now) of every kind of electronic/software technology trying for monthly fees. With the expectation of some of these time clock vendors, if you viewed their on going fees as an annuity, they're in essence selling the clock for $12,000. Same with software, I'll do everything possible including open source alternatives vs monthly fee models.

I am so glad I don't work for a company that has timeclocks and times stamps for jobs. Hope they all disappear soon. It doesn't work as the rats always win. I would much prefer to be treated as a professional. The way around the clock in is to absolutely screw the employer at every opportunity. Seen it, don't like it.

It really isn't about that, it would appear from the OP
it is more about time tracking individual jobs.
As you get larger it is harder to keep track of which jobs make money and which do not.

Yes, you can track individual productivity, but you already know who the slackers are..........

I am so glad I don't work for a company that has timeclocks and times stamps for jobs. Hope they all disappear soon. It doesn't work as the rats always win. I would much prefer to be treated as a professional. The way around the clock in is to absolutely screw the employer at every opportunity. Seen it, don't like it.

I bet your a real joy as an employee. I haven't worked for the man in decades, but I worked at places that tracked work through a time clock. The system was used to track jobs with multiple processes through out a large facility, it had nothing to do with screwing employees.

you ever run a business with 25 people making things?

I agree with the noble idea that monitoring can send the message you're not trusted, and in life and business you get the behaviour you expect. otoh when the rats (assuming you mean time theft etc) don't get caught, you sink a culture in a hurry and alienate the good people.

Nevertheless, you miss the main points of monitoring. Its not just about about keeping track of the guys, they can still log on and fuck the dog. Its humans that need to watch for and fix that if its occuring. What its about is knowing where you're making money and where you're not so you can figure out why, knowing real time how far along all your jobs are so you can plan and schedule and having a feedback loop to project managers (and ultimately sales/estimating and management) so they can notice any disconnect between hours to date and how far along the job seems to be so can they address it before bumping up to the deadline.

Last edited:
As Gustafson suggests, there are half a dozen Android apps. Not sure, though, if any of them would support 25 finger-swipers. Pretty sure Android only supports 8? Maybe worth a look.

If there's an App that works -- could buy a $400 Android-touch-enabled monitor (basically a 24" or so phone screen) and you'd have a huge time clock to put anywhere you wanted. Walk up to it, clock in, clock out. No recurring fees, except for the wireless connection you probably already have.

Back