What's new
What's new

Tool Altering Source (Step Drills)_

Ox

Diamond
So - who doo we like for altering HSS drills?

My old guy has closed up shop several years ago and has since died.
I have done most all of my own in-house on my Harig since, and I have bought a T&C Grinder recently, but not had time/energy to get it going yet.
Just hasn't been needed.

But I need to get some more tools done, and I don't have a machine waiting on them right now - so I could farm it out....

But a cpl sources near me apparently are not into altering, and must just run Walter 42 axis (?) grinders to make new products.
I have had good luck getting some carbide endmills chopped off and re-surfaced, but step drills seem to be a complete different thing for these folks?
Both time and price.

I remember that there was someone that was looking to start up a shop like this a cpl years ago on here. Don't recall just where.
Possibly Missouri? Anyone remember who that was?

Otherwise, anyone have any good sources for such that they would like to offer info about?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'll be watching this thread for sure. I recently had to make 3 step drills for a customer and the learning curve took a whole day..which I couldn't charge him for. I let him know I would search for a commercial shop that did this chore on a ongoing basis.

Stuart

There was a member in Texas that would do that, I had him quote some drills for me a few years ago. Cant find the contact just now, thought I had it saved. I will have to look in my folders later...file cabinet that is. Not sure when I was last in those!

Charles

This is a Mr. Obvious sort of reply:

step drill grinding service - Google Search

What surprised me was Fastenal paying to be at the top of the list.

View attachment 250049

I have 2 local outfits that would come up as quick as anyone else in a google search.
It's not that I kan't find someone.

I asked for recommendations from other users.

Hopefully someone who can make a nicer tool than I can, and doo it cheaper than I can, in a reasonable time-frame. (6 weeks doesn't cut it)
Does your search engine have those criteria fields?

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Special Drill & Reamer corp is a good specials shop.
Often just tell them what you need done and they can make a tool.
Tell them Buck sent you..Who knows if they remember me.

Pardon Our Interruption

Step drills are best done by rolling round the form You need,,, then set at clearance angle to back-off to sharp, then you can often just roll off the heal so not needing a secondary. Often 10* is a good primary on an axial tool primary..less may rub more is OK.

Perhaps a 1/2" drill made with a 3/8 Diameter point, so it will drill 3/8 and bevel the hole in one hit.

or a cutter/drill to make a 1/2" hole and the step size to for a socket head cap screw.

QT; [I have bought a T&C Grinder recently,] good to get TC up and running ..even if you use it mostly for cut off at first..

I can provide solid carbide step drills in a week uncoated & 2 weeks coated. If I'm going to shut a plant down we can make both of those times quicker.

Forgive me for a little spam but we excel on special tools.

I will say HSS specials are a lost art I only have a few sources and they are slammed usually with screw machine work.

My supplier for this kind of stuff is W T Grinding in Arlington TX.
Ph 817 460 6221
They have done step drills and modified other cutters for us, never had any problems with their work.

Are you dooing this inhouse?

Roger gave me a source to call.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

No sir. We are a middle man. But we are a pretty good and well sourced.

Most specials particular round tools we can have an official print and price same day / within 5 business hours.

Step Drills Unlimited
8148 Phlox St
Downey Ca 90241

(562) 862-4237

All the smaller cam machine shops used them back in the day and looks like they are still in business, so they must be doing something right. I found them in an old personal phone book that has entries of people who have been dead twenty years or more. I looked up the new number, only the area code has changed.

I just did more digging now it looks like they might be out of business or moved???

I grind a few, but I’m traveling half the year. When I’m home I generally have stuff on the brown van in 48 hr(no coating). If your ordering the same stuff I will stock some finished product and the wife mails stuff out for me regularly. [email protected]

I grind a few, but I’m traveling half the year. When I’m home I generally have stuff on the brown van in 48 hr(no coating). If your ordering the same stuff I will stock some finished product and the wife mails stuff out for me regularly. [email protected]

You are prolly the one that I was thinking of.
I looked through the "my shop" board and didn't find anything in there that I thought was you.
Just one guy that has moved and hasn't logged in _ in a few years now.

Are you home now?

No - these wouldn't be regular consumables.
I will get 3 each made up now and the last time that I had 3 each of these made up was prolly 15 yrs ago.

FWIW - I think that I have a cpl that look good so far, but I need to find a napkin to draw on to send out.
One is from this thread, and another from local source rec.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back