Unbelievably rude walk-in customer...what would you do? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 174
  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8199
    Likes (Received)
    5423

    Default

    At least half the rationale for striving is that success buys you a certain level of insulation. Aside from the fact that some random asshole coming in your shop while you're trying to work poses an immediate safety threat, any annoyance that interrupts your productive time also costs you money. Whether your productive time consists of tramming the head on a BP or programming, if you have to stop doing it you stop making money. Preserving your productive time is worth whatever measures you have to take. Have I ever alienated a potential customer? Sure—you can just ask them; they were all ready to place a big order when I was rude and hung up...

  2. Likes cnctoolcat, Laurentian, digger doug liked this post
  3. #62
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    northwest ARK
    Posts
    3,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4257
    Likes (Received)
    407

    Default

    You sound like a real nice guy, and tried to push him away, or come back next week.
    If it had been me, after the 2nd "no" , I would have picked up the washers and threw them out the door, or stairs he came in from.
    If he wanted the throw down, he would have went out on a stretcher.
    You seemed to handle it better.
    You may have changed the way he approached the next shop.

  4. Likes digger doug liked this post
  5. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    17,275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    At least half the rationale for striving is that success buys you a certain level of insulation. Aside from the fact that some random asshole coming in your shop while you're trying to work poses an immediate safety threat, any annoyance that interrupts your productive time also costs you money. Whether your productive time consists of tramming the head on a BP or programming, if you have to stop doing it you stop making money. Preserving your productive time is worth whatever measures you have to take. Have I ever alienated a potential customer? Sure—you can just ask them; they were all ready to place a big order when I was rude and hung up...
    Sounds like every spammer that comes in here....."I'm here to help you"....And the old standard.."You're missing out on a great! opportunity"

  6. Likes Laurentian liked this post
  7. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1475
    Likes (Received)
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    I have got the same rudeness from middle easterners, scrappers. One litterly sat out in my drive way in his car and honked his horn, until I came out of the shop, I have rarely been so mad in my life I should have had a heart attack in the driveway I was so angry. and it seems to definitely be cultural and usually the poorer regions of the countrys they are coming from.
    Could be he didn't know what the cultural norm was, or maybe afraid of dogs, or as you surmised, maybe just a jerk.

    Before I visited rural New Mexico 30 years ago, I was advised by friends that had moved there ten years before.

    1) Everybody carries, you should too.

    2) When visiting someone, whether you know them or not, pull into the driveway. Sit there and do NOT get out of the truck! If no one comes to greet you, leave.

    Within the first month of being there, I'm driving along on a dirt road, out of state plates, minding my own business. A truck pulls up on the left, I glance over to see a smiling face in the passenger seat pointing a .45 at my head. Just saying hello, according to my friends, the smile was important.

    Culture and behavior are hard to understand sometimes...

  8. Likes Laurentian liked this post
  9. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Staten Island NewYork USA
    Posts
    3,836
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1143
    Likes (Received)
    1880

    Default

    Oh...I did want to mention one thing about his potential animosity towards you.

    If he acts like that, he's more then used to people throwing him out in a heated manner.
    I wouldn't worry about it at all, hell you might even be one of the nicer people to toss 'em out.

  10. Likes Laurentian, 9100 liked this post
  11. #66
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    226
    Likes (Received)
    331

    Default

    At my shop it likely would have ended with the meat wagon coming for him as I keep my doors locked so anyone that is in my shop without my knowing is breaking and entering and likely means me serious bodily harm or death

    Seriously though, I send guys like that to the competition. Something like, that is beyond my capabilities here but blah blah blah specializes in that kind of work

  12. Likes jackal liked this post
  13. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,222
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    296
    Likes (Received)
    437

    Default

    I find that being a Canuck can be a curse at times. Our culture and our upbringing teach us to be polite even when people are very rude.

    I don't know why people seem to confuse politeness with weakness but they do it all the time.

    In his country they probably would have told him to "F-off" the first chance they got.

    You think it would be just the opposite. For Christ sake, our National sport not only allows fighting, it encourages it!



  14. Likes chet, Rob F. liked this post
  15. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2141
    Likes (Received)
    6161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Before I visited rural New Mexico 30 years ago, I was advised by friends that had moved there ten years before.

    1) Everybody carries, you should too.

    2) When visiting someone, whether you know them or not, pull into the driveway. Sit there and do NOT get out of the truck! If no one comes to greet you, leave.

    Within the first month of being there, I'm driving along on a dirt road, out of state plates, minding my own business. A truck pulls up on the left, I glance over to see a smiling face in the passenger seat pointing a .45 at my head. Just saying hello, according to my friends, the smile was important.
    Huh - I was in NM a few times during that same period, but mostly in the Las Cruces/White Sands area. I didn't notice any open carry, and I sure didn't have anyone point a gun at me as you experienced. I would have needed a change of underwear in that circumstance...

  16. Likes neilho liked this post
  17. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    17,275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    I find that being a Canuck can be a curse at times. Our culture and our upbringing teach us to be polite even when people are very rude.

    I don't know why people seem to confuse politeness with weakness but they do it all the time.

    In his country they probably would have told him to "F-off" the first chance they got.

    You think it would be just the opposite. For Christ sake, our National sport not only allows fighting, it encourages it!
    Yup....right you are...
    Shawinigan Handshake - Wikipedia

  18. Likes Terry Keeley liked this post
  19. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    444
    Likes (Received)
    426

    Default

    I miss uncle Jean.

    “For me, I like pepper on my steak...”

    Kept Canada out of the quagmire of Irag. Thank you Sir!

    L7

    (Current PM I will NOT miss when he gets the boot)

  20. Likes Terry Keeley, digger doug liked this post
  21. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    7,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1914
    Likes (Received)
    3610

    Default

    Another aspect of letting people in your shop. I often have partially assembled machines and fragile items on a bench, along with machines set for a particular operation. People simply will not keep their hands off things. They pick up something stacked together loose and parts rain down on the concrete floor. They invariably treat it like a joke. Some of the worst have been firemen inspecting. They spread out where I can't watch them all and get into things. I have a standard policy that I will take one around and open any cabinet or show him anything he wants to see, but only one person. The rest wait outside. The worst was when someone decided it would be cool to have rookies do the inspections to familiarize them with the buildings. They hit me like a swarm of locusts, all over the shop. One of them had a device like UPS drivers and the like carry and set it on a Nuarc offset plate maker. The vacuum frame flips over to load and is only held by a detent. If overloaded, the detent releases and the object falls down and breaks the lamp. I told him several times to remove and got the usual "Duh, what's the matter with you." When I told them to leave, one of them said that they would let the building burn. The fire chief showed up and I explained the situation. After that, he came by himself.

    Bill

  22. Likes Hardplates, Steven-Canada liked this post
  23. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2253
    Likes (Received)
    1678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    I find that being a Canuck can be a curse at times. Our culture and our upbringing teach us to be polite even when people are very rude.

    I don't know why people seem to confuse politeness with weakness but they do it all the time.

    In his country they probably would have told him to "F-off" the first chance they got.

    You think it would be just the opposite. For Christ sake, our National sport not only allows fighting, it encourages it!


    Funny shit, LOVE IT

  24. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pinckney Mi.
    Posts
    3,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5964
    Likes (Received)
    878

    Default

    I had a guy (with some accent) gonna paint my barn(he said) Parked outside the gate at road and walked up to shop, I had to get real mad before he thought he better leave.
    DAM IT!!!
    Gw

  25. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1475
    Likes (Received)
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Huh - I was in NM a few times during that same period, but mostly in the Las Cruces/White Sands area. I didn't notice any open carry, and I sure didn't have anyone point a gun at me as you experienced. I would have needed a change of underwear in that circumstance...
    Yup, different area entirely. This was Northeastern New Mexico, pretty much local rural closed society, except for a few intrepid longhairs, my friends. The heart of Hermanos Penitentes country, folks noted for private crucifixion reenactments (for real, sterilized nails through wrists and feet to a cross and carried in a procession). Not fond of police at all, and not too fond of gringos, though they warmed up to my friends after a few years. Odd culture, to a midwestern farm boy, not to mention the language barrier.

    Open carry was for cops and posers, regarded as ostentatious. Concealed was assumed.

    Scared s...less was what I was. Locked up the brakes and went for my piece, under the seat. Came back up and they were gone. I was relieved, to put it mildly.

  26. Likes digger doug, cameraman, Milland liked this post
  27. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1925
    Likes (Received)
    1075

    Default

    We had our shop in a small town for many years and we would often get jobs like those washers the OP's "customer" had. Most small town walk-in's are very polite and friendly, they might even trade you booze or donuts for the work. The problem is that when you are strapped for time desperately trying to get your overnight job out the door, they DON'T understand. They want to work on the pay-it-forward system (or as I call it the "good-ol-boy" system) and think that their five minute job trumps everyone else's just because they were nice. I love to help my neighbor the same as the next kind-hearted guy, but I think it should be met with some understanding that sometimes a minute can't be spared and that sometimes that "quick and easy" job ends up taking more time and resources than they understand it too.

    The OP's guy failed my first test, politeness and understanding. I flawed enough that I wouldn't help him on that alone. If he (or someone else) met that basic social standard, next I would have to make an educated on the spot estimate. If I can't spare time, I'd invite him to come back after hours or after I expect to have time and I'd help him, If he needed it faster I'd politely turn him down. If I can see that the job is just too much for a "freebie," then it takes some creative tact to try to politely explain that I want to help, but I've got mouths to feed too.

    I think it's a very noble and human quality to help people in need, but In order for it to work I think you have to hold yourself to a more structured professional standard. If I pull over and help someone on the side of the road, I don't do it because I have to or I'm somehow expected to, I do it because I DON't have to and maybe CAN'T, but am choosing to. Not to get political, but that's my problem with communism/socialism. The act of doing good is about the choice to be charitable by one and the choice to accept a helping hand by another. It can't be mandated, and the "free stuff" all goes away in the end.

  28. Likes MichaelP, neilho, Joe Miranda liked this post
  29. #76
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,255
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3729
    Likes (Received)
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Yup, different area entirely. This was Northeastern New Mexico, pretty much local rural closed society, except for a few intrepid longhairs, my friends. The heart of Hermanos Penitentes country, folks noted for private crucifixion reenactments (for real, sterilized nails through wrists and feet to a cross and carried in a procession). Not fond of police at all, and not too fond of gringos, though they warmed up to my friends after a few years. Odd culture, to a midwestern farm boy, not to mention the language barrier.

    Open carry was for cops and posers, regarded as ostentatious. Concealed was assumed.

    Scared s...less was what I was. Locked up the brakes and went for my piece, under the seat. Came back up and they were gone. I was relieved, to put it mildly.
    That's what I was thinking he / you must have been crossing close to the Penitentes… Back in the day 30 / 40 years ago there was some real friction with the "Long hairs" and the Penitentes.

    I agree in NM open carry (now adays ) seems really ostentatious ~ You see some young 20 something "Anglo" with Glock physically wedged down his crack (wearing cargo pants) at the local hair salon / Barbers , next to Crispy Crème and Barnes and Nobel ???? WTF are you expecting lol.

    New Mexico is really interesting given that you have what I call the "400 club" i.e. folks that are from families descended from conquistadores that have been there for four hundred years that use an old form of Spanish (grammatically) that goes back to sixteenth century / 1500s to 1600s.

    I try not to piss off the Mexican "Mafia" that have eaten certain high end horse barns / operations.

    Española is pretty wild (lot of random drug money). Places like Corrales are very safe / quiet. ABQ / public services since 2008 has been totally decimated but Film industry is trying to move back in like Netflix moving it's base to NM/ABQ.

    New Mexico ~ Nice place to blow stuff up.

    Also great place to disappear if that's what you want to do.

    People are generally polite and friendly / attempt to be fairly respectful.

  30. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    70

    Default

    A bit late on a reply, but looking out for your reputation with your neighbors (if you haven't done something already): you could drop off donuts or whatever with your neighbors, apologies for the episode (I know it wasn't your fault, but they heard it anyway), explain what happened and see if any of them sent the guy to you. Just costs a couple dollars, makes sure they know you were not the one with an issue, and if one of them was the one that sent them to you, could keep you from getting a bad reputation 'for not wanting to help out someone in need'.

  31. Likes Pattnmaker liked this post
  32. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    3,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1948
    Likes (Received)
    832

    Default

    That is one of the reasons I do not deal with walk in business.
    I like most, got PISSED just reading your post.
    My shop is like my home/ castle.
    Just try to order me around, or act as an authority figure in my own little fiefdom, and I will become instantly hostile.
    It has only happened twice before, and both times, the door hit them in the ass on the way out. (followed by me, and my barely concealed 1911)

    Doug.

  33. Likes SND liked this post
  34. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    31
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Simply turn to face him, making sure he see's your 357 magnum stainless revolver (with a 6" barrel) in your holster.
    And ask him what he wants....then take the parts from him, excuse yourself as you walk to the door (the one he came in)
    and chuck them out into the street.

    Smiling nicely the whole time.

    Open carry and all that.

    Oh, your in Kanada… So sorry
    You Pennsylvania guys must be alright! That's how we handle these things in Idaho. An armed society is a polite society.

  35. Likes digger doug, SND, Hardplates liked this post
  36. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1475
    Likes (Received)
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    ...
    The act of doing good is about the choice to be charitable by one and the choice to accept a helping hand by another. It can't be mandated, and the "free stuff" all goes away in the end.

    Truer words never spoken.

    Things can get very twisted, very quickly, when "help" is forced on someone...

  37. Likes Tci_ liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •