Unpredictable mental exhaustion - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im kind of dealing with the same thing. been running well drilling rigs since I was 19 I'm now 40 I haven't had a winter off in 3 years, was broke down for 2.5 months this year in 3 break downs, my main driller just quit to start his own thing, I just laid everybody off for a month to get my head straight. I have no debt, so why am I working myself this hard? I like my most of my guys and dont like putting them on unemployment but I need a break and to mentally relax. I have been to a doc he put me on some meds but they don't really help. I think its just 4 years of boom time and I need a break. I may go back to having help, or I may just dink around drilling a couple wells a month by myself and spend the next few years with my kids, semi retire I dont know.

2. Likes wheelieking71, SND, Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    I went to school with a guy who has been working as a mechanic since, we are 54, one day a couple of years ago he quit going to work and won't leave his house, nothing happened to cause it, just one day something went click. Otherwise he seems like the same old guy.
    That will be me for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I would have zero use for a Harley.

How doo those trade for KTM's?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    My guy Joe just traded his boat for a Harley, LOL. Nice looking bike too.
    Not my thing either. But, he definitely traded up! Boats are dumb. I will never understand the fun of boating?
    Fishing sure! If it takes a boat to get to the fish? Yea, then it is a necessary tool. But, going boating for fun? Nope, I don't get it.

5. Likes MetalCarnage, Bobw, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I'm betting that the thought of that sounds a lot better than the reality of it.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Either one of those would just kill me now

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's not a bad thing to get some blood work done once in a while, thyroid and many things can act up.

8. Likes wheelieking71, charlie gary liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I first read this back in 2002 and it stuck with me enough that I was able to find it today. Maybe it will provide some insight, or a laugh.

Best Years Of Area Man's Life Apparently Never Going To Happen

MINOT, ND—The best years in the life of Frederick Videk—veteran, husband, and father of five—are never going to happen, the 51-year-old broken man realized Monday.

10. Likes wheelieking71, Ox, gary-sc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    I first read this back in 2002 and it stuck with me enough that I was able to find it today. Maybe it will provide some insight, or a laugh.

MINOT, ND—The best years in the life of Frederick Videk—veteran, husband, and father of five—are never going to happen, the 51-year-old broken man realized Monday.

It sounds like most women eh?
    Boy, it would suck to be his wife and kids!

I think that pic is a mirror imaged Bridgeport.

Maybe the fella should check into religion?
    That may be the piece of his puzzle that is missing.

If not - in Idaho - there is always sledding be done ....

------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

12. Likes wheelieking71, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a good friend, successful, official photographer for a prestigious university. He had a nervous breakdown in which he could not decide the next step to taking a picture. He never recovered and stopped working.

Please take care of yourself. Reach out for good medical assistance. I had similar difficulties in my life and was fortunate to get a skilled physician for advising both myself and wife about solving these difficult problems. My wife stayed with me through all of this and I ended up successful. But wrong or inadequate advice would have wrecked my future.

Best wishes --- Allen

14. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My therapy is tinkering. At any given time I have many "manly" projects to tend to.
    Two trucks, a muscle-car, dirt-bike, UTV, car and shop audio, the shop itself (I love working on shop improvements, don't know why?).
    I bitch and moan about having so much on my plate (personal, not work). And, it flat pisses the wife off sometimes (all my "junk").
    But, what she doesn't understand is: this is my therapy. My get-away. When work gets to be just too much? I pick one and just get lost in it for a while.
    She gets frustrated because she wants to do "stuff" like go camping, and what-not. And, rightfully so! I want to as well.
    But, for her, a two day camping trip takes 4 days! It is a lot of work to camp with a "not as country as you" girl. So, that only happens a couple times a year.
    What keeps me sane is: shutting work off, and tinkering on something. Or throttle-therapy (the dirt-bike). But, my attention span is not super long.
    So, it is good for me to have choices. I'll work on one thing for a while. Then, thats enough of that. Then I will usually put 110% in to work for a while.
    Then, when I start to feel burn-out coming on, pick a project. And, get after that for a while. Otherwise? I would go nuckin' futz!

I guess what I am saying is get a hobby! Or two. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Yeah, Harleys really aren't as much fun as you'd think ....
    EM, I am really disappointed in hearing you say that about Harleys, especially knowing what you know about dirttrack racing.

If you can't put a big grin on your face and change your whole outlook on things by jumping on a XR750 Harley and blast around the Springfield Mile at a buck 40 with a pack beside you and in the draft, then I am assuming you may be beyond hope anyway.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D KIRBY View Post
    EM, I am really disappointed in hearing you say that about Harleys, especially knowing what you know about dirttrack racing.

If you can't put a big grin on your face and change your whole outlook on things by jumping on a XR750 ....
    I was pulling Ox'es leg

But I'm not allowed on a bike now. I have no self-control. Like Tina Turner, first turn, nice. and. easy. Good. Second turn maybe twist it a little, oh, that was fun ! Third turn ....

Next thing you know, we're rolling down the river ... I don't heal that good no more

18. Likes Ox, wheelieking71, Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finishing "Nice _ and hard" eh?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I was pulling Ox'es leg

But I'm not allowed on a bike now. I have no self-control. Like Tina Turner, first turn, nice. and. easy. Good. Second turn maybe twist it a little, oh, that was fun ! Third turn ....

Next thing you know, we're rolling down the river ... I don't heal that good no more
    This is why I refuse to ride on the street. I will be going way to fast to react when the moron gets in my way.
    I have too much experience/evidence of this already. Imagine trying to crash on purpose, and hot having enough time.
    I tried to high-side mid wide-open 4th gear left hand sweeper. so I would go over a Ford Explorer. Made impact before the bike went over center and tossed me. Not good!
    That, and I like wheelies. My DL would be doomed from day one! Maybe if I still lived in the sticks like alloutmx? Around here? No 'effin way!

21. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In hospitals around here CPH. Chronic Portuguese hysteria. But applies mostly to women. Sounds like you are getting burnt out. It happens. Most times the cure is the need for food and shelter. But other times is is the need for a time slot for your other needs. YOU HAVE OTHER NEEDS!
    Try doing things that are exhilarating.
    I am driving the green car.
    BMW DE Tamworth 10-OCT-2020, 3-group passing exercise (Lap 13) - YouTube

23. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    In hospitals around here CPH. Chronic Portuguese hysteria. But applies mostly to women. Sounds like you are getting burnt out. It happens. Most times the cure is the need for food and shelter. But other times is is the need for a time slot for your other needs. YOU HAVE OTHER NEEDS!
    Try doing things that are exhilarating.
    I am driving the green car.
    BMW DE Tamworth 10-OCT-2020, 3-group passing exercise (Lap 13) - YouTube
    Looks like you found some grass/dust @ 1:30, WEEEEE!

25. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    But, going boating for fun? Nope, I don't get it.
    Apparently you have never been on a pontoon around midnight idling along the lake with a cooler full of beer. If you had, you wouldn't have to ask. With a woman preferably, but that is not an absolute necessity.

27. Likes MotoX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crazygoat View Post
    Apparently you have never been on a pontoon around midnight idling along the lake with a cooler full of beer. If you had, you wouldn't have to ask. With a woman preferably, but that is not an absolute necessity.
    See, I have. Both Canyon-Lake, and the boat party capital of the world Lake Havasu. B-o-r-i-n-g!
    I'll take Test, Comp, or Olds Hill at Glamis any day! You have not partied until you have experienced Test Hill @ 1am Glamis circa 2000-2001!
    Absolutely fucking bonkers is a mild description. Still not sure how I lived through those times. I have stories that are kinda hard to believe, all true.
    I'm just not a boat guy. And, I get that I just completely veered off what you are getting at. The tranquility of the water at night. Trust me, I know all about it.
    I would much prefer to be on shore with the faint crackle of a small fire, and the rustle of a good dog circling camp @ 50-80 yards.
    I usually wake up right there in the morning, completely at peace with a brand new outlook on everything. Stoke the fire back up for the women when they stumble out of the campers.
    That's where its at for me.
    Or, just a day out with the guys on the dirt-bikes for some throttle-therapy. I just find the open, flat, water extremely boring.

Tangent: Allison's dream was to get married on a pacific ocean beach with the sun-set in the background. I gave it to her.
    She was in heaven. Made me proud. I love her to death. But, I was bored out of my fucking mind. I just don't like water.
    Unless there is a dirt-bike involved? Or, some midnight white-bass on the shores of Lake Erie involved? the chances of finding me on a beach are pretty much zero.
    What is the point of going to the beach? I mean seriously?! Is there anything more boring?

We used to party on the "sand-bar" in Conneaut Ohio back in the day. But, that was for a totally different reason. And, there were no boats! LOL

29. Likes crazygoat, Jashley73, DrHook, Pathogen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    What is the point of going to the beach? I mean seriously?! Is there anything more boring?
    The guy's a pompous ass with way too much money, but the photography is good :

Venture visits Dent Rapids - YouTube

If you can drive a 6 knot displacement boat through skookumchuck, dent, yacultas, devil's hole, arran, without getting a knot in your sphincter, then you're a lot braver than me There really are bears and iggles on shore, and the whales and dall's porpoises come out to play, too. Crabs, clams, fish, all that stuff.

Good to remember for when you get too old to crash ... at least drowning is not messy.

btw, if anybody here is looking for a retirement out in the country, kwatsi bay marina was for sale last summer.

31. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many times it isn't "what" you are doing, it's "where" you are doing it. I felt the same working for dad. It wasn't my occupation, it was all the lousy people he had in the building creating a toxic environment. Just before I left, I hated it so badly I never wanted to see another machine or toolbox ever. Once I left, it was like I rediscovered myself and my purpose. I love what I do now.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Being surrounded by negativity will drain every last ounce of resolve you have over time. I'm not talking about logic and conservative judgement, but if the people around you think everything is impossible, and nothing is worth the effort, dragging them to the finish line on every project is 10X as much work as doing it with a group of people who see possibilities and opportunities all around them. Have a close look at your relationships at work and at home and as was mentioned a couple of times above, seek professional help from an MD who can make sure you're physically OK, and recommend somebody to provide counseling. Once you get over the mental block most of us have about talking to "a shrink", you'll wonder why the hell you waited so long
    Good luck on figuring it out.

34. Likes fusker liked this post