Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    See, I have. Both Canyon-Lake, and the boat party capital of the world Lake Havasu. B-o-r-i-n-g!

[snip]

I just find the open, flat, water extremely boring.

[snip]

What is the point of going to the beach? I mean seriously?! Is there anything more boring?
    I'm getting the feeling that your boats had too many motors and too few masts, also missing a hull.

Hardly nothing beats flying the windward hull from the trapeze on a high wind day:

Hobie 16 Speed Record!! - YouTube

Not my video, but they get ripping pretty damn fast. At 23 knots most of the "wind" you're feeling is actually boat speed, so they start going a bit downwind, but eventually are going upwind.

As for Psychologist vs. MSW, my wife would tell you that a psychologist is too academic to get things right, a social worker is who will really learn who you are and what you need.

2. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those HobieCats always seemed interesting.

I've only sailed a few times, in one of those little ??? 14 foot plastic sailboats at a camp at Manistee.
    I took it out and learned myself how to run it.
    It is mechanical, I can figger it out, no worries....

I did git myself in trouble when I came back in tho - as I was then told that I wasn't to have taken it out past "the point" where they couldn't see you anymore.

Heck, I took it all the way out through the channel and just far enough to say that I was officially in Lake Michigan. but those waves were way too much for that little boat, but I made the turn and came back.

I watch several ocean going sail vids on youtube. I'm sure that it would git boring after a while, but that would be fun for a while, then sell it I guess...

But I'm with Mr. King, and I have absolutely no use for a beach. I will likely end up stuck on one one day with the Mrs. .. maybe... But there better be some place to rent a sailboat or jetski or some such.....

As far as the hobie cats, what if those guys fell off? It didn't appear that they had the sail tied up in any way, so if they weren't there, the sail would just dump and float away - right? And they are tehtered?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Those HobieCats always seemed interesting.

I've only sailed a few times, in one of those little ??? 14 foot plastic sailboats at a camp at Manistee.
    I took it out and learned myself how to run it.
    It is mechanical, I can figger it out, no worries....

I did git myself in trouble when I came back in tho - as I was then told that I wasn't to have taken it out past "the point" where they couldn't see you anymore.

Heck, I took it all the way out through the channel and just far enough to say that I was officially in Lake Michigan. but those waves were way too much for that little boat, but I made the turn and came back.

I watch several ocean going sail vids on youtube. I'm sure that it would git boring after a while, but that would be fun for a while, then sell it I guess...

But I'm with Mr. King, and I have absolutely no use for a beach. I will likely end up stuck on one one day with the Mrs. .. maybe... But there better be some place to rent a sailboat or jetski or some such.....

As far as the hobie cats, what if those guys fell off? It didn't appear that they had the sail tied up in any way, so if they weren't there, the sail would just dump and float away - right? And they are tehtered?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Best (and worst) part about a Hobie is you can pull it right up on the beach, so when you're stuck there you can see it waiting for you. BUT, when the wind picks up, you can toss the kids in the general direction of the Mrs. and off you go!

Those guys are on the trapeze, so they can hang all their weight off the windward rail and counteract the moment from the wind in the sails. The skipper mentioned narrowly avoiding a pitch-pole, that's when the leeward hull submerges. I have done it a few times, for all you bike riders out there, it is like slamming your front brake, full stop, on just one side. If you are on the wire, have you ever seen George of the jungle? it's an open hook though so as soon as you hit the water and it goes slack, you are free.

Hobie 16 too much wind! - YouTube

Same guy, another heavy day. The first capsize is what happens when you fall off, his foot slipped off the back when it got hit by some spray and then it was all over. The second guy made me cringe when he landed on the sail, often as not it blows out when you do that, then you gotta open the checkbook

But they got going again, and second time got a reminder that a hobie really has three sails. They were so far back to avoid pitch-pole that when they came into the wind, the mesh tramp caught air and dumped the boat right on top of em. Ouch.

Makes me sad that I only got to go out three or four times this year Maybe next time!

5. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is the point of going to the beach? I mean seriously?! Is there anything more boring?
    HAHA thats funny, as well as the "I hate water one". been there done that.

Wifes from Ca loves the beach hates ca though. so we went to pick up My daughters husband from bootcamp. had some time to kill she wanted to goto the beach. I sat down on a chair on the boardwalk and watched, her and our son loved it. I hated it. Why the F do I want to get my feet wet or sandy.
    3 weeks later my Daughter gets out of bootcamp in SC. country was cool as crap right along the beach on hunter island looked like a scene out of Jurstic park. Again wife and our son ran right out to the beach and loved it. Me I was looking on the edge of the forrest for alligators and racoons.
    they had fun so did I.

I bass fished tournys in this state and a few others for about 15 years. usually fished about 5 days a week min. always took the kids when not in a tourny even took them in tournys. they like water I hate it Again no point on getting wet when you have a bass boat. if I wasnt bass fishing I sure the heck wouldnt go to the lake as its boring as hell. tried it a few times no fishing take the kids and wife out let them play on the beachs or in the water. I usually fell asleep.

Loved dirt bike riding but it came to a point where I figured I'd better quite before I killed myself, likewise I drool over crotch rockets especially the sound but I know better. a bike just like a boat has one speed that on and full throattle. yes even our boats were pushing 85-94mph. allisons & Gamblers

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Speaking of toys, here is a couple of pics of mine.100_1081.jpg100_1082.jpg100_1083.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    I bass fished tournys in this state and a few others for about 15 years. usually fished about 5 days a week min. always took the kids when not in a tourny even took them in tournys.
    Del, did you know a guy named Tom Paylen? A guy I know that was as serious a fisherman as anybody in AZ. Constantly fishing tourneys.
    He moved out of state about two years ago. I met him the 2nd day I lived here. He was a tile/carpet guy. He tiled my last two houses.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harley's have two saddlebags for a reason...balance.

You put the wrenches in one and the oil dry in the other.

10. Likes Bobw, mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    In hospitals around here CPH. Chronic Portuguese hysteria. But applies mostly to women. Sounds like you are getting burnt out. It happens. Most times the cure is the need for food and shelter. But other times is is the need for a time slot for your other needs. YOU HAVE OTHER NEEDS!
    Try doing things that are exhilarating.
    I am driving the green car.
    BMW DE Tamworth 10-OCT-2020, 3-group passing exercise (Lap 13) - YouTube
    Goodness, I love it. There are few things in life that sound as good as a euro-6 screaming to redline. It's a shame, Mozart didn't live long enough to hear it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems like I flirt with burnout about every week.

Running a precision machine shop is a tough business, it seems something will sucker-punch you right in the gut when you least expect it.

I’ve done this stuff so long, I wouldn’t have a clue what else to do in life. I guess that’s what keeps me going in to work every day?

I’ve been fortunate enough in life that my work has provided for me and my family, and I have a little nest egg building for retirement.

But the only downside to becoming somewhat financially secure is that money is no longer a motivator!

And I’m not sure what a man can do about that!

I do remember when starting the shop 24 years ago that money was indeed a motivator. I had loads of debt then, very little savings, and huge payments to go out every month.

If I could take a month off maybe, I could get the motivation batteries fully charged again.

But until then, it can take a lot of mental effort to keep plugging along....

Makes a man wonder though, like the car mechanic guy above, will something in my mind just snap, and wake up one day and say to hell with it?!

ToolCat

13. Likes gbent, Greg White, Sam L liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    If I could take a month off maybe, I could get the motivation batteries fully charged again.
    The other possibility is, you take a month off and realize you don't give a crap anymore, and there's lots of other things to do in life.

That's the danger in your "take a month off to recharge" theory

15. Likes Ox, wheelieking71, Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We finally was able to see the light, and it turned out to not be a train. Have taken the last 2 weeks for organizing, cleaning up, burning trash, etc.
    Taken advantage of the weather the last week'r so and got things outside readied up for winter. Got a few inches [of snow] yesterdee, but will gone by end of today.

Now back to werk on machine Maint, and production....

Not been out of the shop much, and I'm good with that, but at least dooing sumpthing other than the same old...

Still, I'm hopefull that we are still able to head west for sledding - since they closed the 49th....
    I don't see that opening up now 'till July 1st / 4th at the soonest now...
    I need to find [deep/off camber] snow!

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

17. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I need to find [deep/off camber] snow!
    How about cross-country ? I know, looks so ugly, with the snot running down your beard and all, but better than nothing ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I experienced something like that about 20 years into my construction career.

Work and anything related to it was stuff I just found repulsive. With a family and bills I could not just stop. I had to keep going in... It seemed like there should be more to life than work.

One day I was asked what Im doing.... The guy asking was my boss standing 20 feet above my head while I was building a splitter box for a waste water treatment plant... When you flush your toilet is one of the first places after the pipes your turds goes thru before treatment.

My boss repeated the question... then followed it up with a statement... He said.

You are not building a piano.
    You are not even building the box a piano goes in.
    You are working at a shit plant building a box that eventfully might water the tree a piano box could be built with.

That statement was the end of my obsession with perfection.
    It was then I understood I could still be good at what I do. Without an attachment to what I did.
    At that point I came to understand work does not define who or what I am.
    Work is like a car... it allows you to go places and do things.

You constantly redefine who and what you are with your actions each day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    How about cross-country ? I know, looks so ugly, with the snot running down your beard and all, but better than nothing ?

Well, I'm not overly into competition in my spare time. Isn't that what we doo all day long?
    Let alone racing.... There is always someone better, and with more $ to throw at it, so why bother?
    And besides, like I said - I can't git over the 49th this year, but - other than the competition part - Cains Quest seems interesting.

This is "cross country" and would Shirley git the "shop burnout" werked out...
    Besides, snot freezes ....

About | Cain's Quest | Endurance Race | Labrador

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    OIx

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you say mental exhaustion do you mean the inability to think clearly due to mental fatigue? Or just the inability to care about work.

If its the latter I cant give you any advice. Personally I have never really cared all that much when it comes to work. Yes, I will work to the best of my abilities, but I am not going to let it give me a stroke. My only real goal being self employed is to make about the same amount of money I would working for someone, but have more personal freedom. I have no illusions of getting rich doing this.

If its the former, Do you eat enough meat? That's not a joke. It's pretty much the only natural source of creatine, which is directly linked to short term memory. I try my best to only eat meat that I obtain myself via hunting/fishing, and have noticed long stretches without lead to a noticeable mental haziness. Supplementing creatine seams to solve it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Del, did you know a guy named Tom Paylen? A guy I know that was as serious a fisherman as anybody in AZ. Constantly fishing tourneys.
    He moved out of state about two years ago. I met him the 2nd day I lived here. He was a tile/carpet guy. He tiled my last two houses.
    Tom rings a bell but not the last name. and a tile guy to boot, a very close friend whom Ive known through bass fishing for 25+ years is a tile guy as well. I am sure I know him if he fished tourny's as I did all the results for most circuits and clubs and owned pretty big local website for tourny bass fishermen till I sold it 10 years ago.
    I thought I knew everyone in the Az bass fishing scene. I'll search through some results and see if I can place him.
    there was a ton of guys here in az that fished but its a small world too.

If you talk to him ask him if he remembers a website called azbasszone. my nick was the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    The other possibility is, you take a month off and realize you don't give a crap anymore, and there's lots of other things to do in life.

That's the danger in your "take a month off to recharge" theory
    This actually scares me a little bit. I have given it much consideration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    they like water I hate it Again no point on getting wet when you have a bass boat.
    Surf Fishing. Bluefish after Bluefish after Bluefish until you are so sore you can't even cast and you have a pound of wet squishy salt water sand between your butt cheeks.

Or just walking down/through a creek with an ultralight and a container of worms. rock bass, small mouth, perch, chub, bluegills, the occasional sucker or bullhead.

I'd go out of my mind at the beach too if I didn't have a rod... or a blanket and a lady friend, and some privacy.

25. Likes wheelieking71, Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Surf Fishing. Bluefish after Bluefish after Bluefish until you are so sore you can't even cast and you have a pound of wet squishy salt water sand between your butt cheeks.

Or just walking down/through a creek with an ultralight and a container of worms. rock bass, small mouth, perch, chub, bluegills, the occasional sucker or bullhead.

I'd go out of my mind at the beach too if I didn't have a rod... or a blanket and a lady friend, and some privacy.

Google Maps

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In spite of the drought it looks like western Wyoming and Idaho are getting good snow.