Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Surf Fishing. Bluefish after Bluefish after Bluefish until you are so sore you can't even cast and you have a pound of wet squishy salt water sand between your butt cheeks.

Or just walking down/through a creek with an ultralight and a container of worms. rock bass, small mouth, perch, chub, bluegills, the occasional sucker or bullhead.

I'd go out of my mind at the beach too if I didn't have a rod... or a blanket and a lady friend, and some privacy.
    I love fly fishing for trout , but got spoiled in washington state in late 70's as well as Japan both fresh and salt water. BTW there are huge rainbows and browns in those rice patti irigation canals anywhere from 2-6lbs. not to mention all the streams and creeks there.

I did the ocean fishing for years I was fortunate enough to be born and raised in Japan till I was 15(dad was in the navy)
    heres a small one me and the Japanese guy guy behind my sister caught( think it was 76)

Dad took me out Wahoo fishing when I was young

del1stfishingtrip.jpg

14-15 years later I caught this not more than 1/4 mile from the above picture

picture.jpg.b622c8f5d9d70ff1d20cce95abbb9178.jpg

2. Likes wheelieking71, Bobw, Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When not machining stuff I have a project I'm currently gathering a few parts for, and enjoy driving it in the meanwhile, before she gets redone. Elizabeth makes for a great Saturday morning breakfast run.

20190804_092824-copy.jpg

4. Likes charlie gary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cold Ethyl rides in the back?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    But, going boating for fun? Nope, I don't get it.
    Ya see, you're doing it wrong. And the guys that have already told you how you're doing it wrong are doing it wrong too.

Ain't nothing like 30 mph over 2" of water.

(No idea who the guy is).
    Texas River Jet Boating - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So - what is the draft on sumpthing like that?

Now - yuh wunna play in the water, git'cherself an old stand-up Kaw jet ski, and go play in the whitewater.

Extreme Whitewater Jet Skiing - Salmon River / Hell's Canyon - Solvid FIY - YouTube

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

8. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Wheely on this one.

we both live(d) next to a beeg, beeg lake, and while as a kid went there sometimes to the beach.....I have not
    been to Presque Isle for 30 years.

And none of this sitting on a bucket in the middle of the lake/bay at -20f for a fish deal either....

We've got other lakes & streams all around us, I'm simply not into any kind of water activities.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    In spite of the drought it looks like western Wyoming and Idaho are getting good snow.
    Ain't much snow in my part of Idaho, but I guess we have a bit on the way

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    So - what is the draft on sumpthing like that?

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Draft at rest is going to be in the realm of 6-7".

On plane in deep water, figure on using around 3-4" of depth. On plane in shallow water with fairly flat bottom it'll bump into the 1 1/2 - 2" range, due to ground effect, and that you are actually carrying some water with you. Inertia will get you over soft obstacles shallower than that. Mine isn't set up as well as his, but I'm still not afraid to jump a fallen log that's 8" above the surface of the water.

As for the Kawasaki ski, we catch fish at the end of the run, so it still needs to be more 'boatlike,' but I sure wouldn't miss out on doing what they are if the opportunity presented itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess I don't fully understand the "jet" system.

How can you jump a log?
    Don't you have an jet intake down there looking fwd?
    Or is that somewhat recessed with a hull on either side?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fish On View Post
    As for the Kawasaki ski, we catch fish at the end of the run, so it still needs to be more 'boatlike,'
    Do you know about Rob White's Rescue Minor ? Pretty cool, a little more boatlike, Rob White seems to have been a hell of a guy.

Robb White, Boatbuilder, Thomasville, Georgia

(oops, looks like he has two b's, too. Oh well. Read a couple of his stories, like a fisherman, he talks good)

Worth five minutes, it'll relieve the stress of owning a machine shop

Robb White, Boatbuilder, Thomasville, Georgia

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fish On View Post
    Draft at rest is going to be in the realm of 6-7".

On plane in deep water, figure on using around 3-4" of depth. On plane in shallow water with fairly flat bottom it'll bump into the 1 1/2 - 2" range, due to ground effect, and that you are actually carrying some water with you. Inertia will get you over soft obstacles shallower than that. Mine isn't set up as well as his, but I'm still not afraid to jump a fallen log that's 8" above the surface of the water.

As for the Kawasaki ski, we catch fish at the end of the run, so it still needs to be more 'boatlike,' but I sure wouldn't miss out on doing what they are if the opportunity presented itself.
    I figured as much, he was getting real close to stuff and I heard some booms and bangs a few times, but I didn't think it'd be good to jump obstacles actually above the water...

What I want to know is how the intake avoids sucking up sand from those shallow/whitewater sections, or does it just not matter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I guess I don't fully understand the "jet" system.

How can you jump a log?
    Don't you have an jet intake down there looking fwd?
    Or is that somewhat recessed with a hull on either side?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    The pump intake is more or less looking down, and it pulls the water 'up' before pushing it aft. On an inboard engine, the intake is going to be flush with, or recessed above the bottom of the boat. Hull shaping in the area immediately forward of the intake is important to funnel water towards that intake, especially in the real shallow stuff (need to have enough water to keep the pump fed).

Near as I can tell, the guy in the video has pulled an engine/pump from a large Seadoo/Jet Ski, whatever you want to call it, and transplanted it into an aluminum boat, which is very common for the smaller boats. Regardless, larger inboard jet drives still flow water in the same manner, just powered by a big block v8 instead.

3rd and 4th pic on this page illustrate that well.
    Top 5 Personal Watercraft Repairs for Jet Skis - Intrepid Cottager

Alternatively, there are jet units that bolt to the bottom of a generic outboard motor. Pull the gearbox off, jet unit bolts in place. These have a lot of drawbacks, mainly efficiency, but some advantages as well, mainly simplicity, versatility, etc. They do have a slightly forward facing grate.

I'm currently running one of these.

_0001_jetadvantage.png__360x250_q85_autocrop_size_canvas_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg

These have an intake that is slightly forward facing, so yes, they'd stick down a bit from the hull when mounted as you see in the pic above. The leading edge of the intake is flush with the bottom of the boat, the trailing edge sits about 2.5" lower.

We solve this by tunneling the back of the boat, which raises the trailing edge of the intake above the bottom of the hull. This is one I've done.
    img_20190226_185128.jpg

In jumping logs, or running over something that finds it's way into the tunnel, I do sometimes have the trailing edge of the intake hit a little bit, and kicks the engine up, but I have a tether around the engine to keep it from lifting more than 20 degrees or so. Prior to that, I turned the outboard completely upside down into the boat more than a couple times.

16. Likes Ox, Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxcarPete View Post

What I want to know is how the intake avoids sucking up sand from those shallow/whitewater sections, or does it just not matter?
    The intake has grates with 1/2" or so between them. Anything much smaller than that can get pumped right on through. Rocks wedging themselves between the grates is a problem, so we all carry some sort of pry tool to remove them. Typically though, once you're at speed, picking up things isn't a problem - you're moving forward fast enough that pebbles that get picked up don't make it into the intake.

The problem is taking off from a standstill - it'll flat out vacuum everything up, so we pretty well need 2' of water to get moving in. Once we're moving, I can run across a gravel bar shallow enough that the bottom of the boat scrapes, but not pick a rock up in the intake.

That said, the sand and small rocks do erode the impeller and liner. The impellers and liners are tapered, with a stack of washers on one side from the factory - move washers over to tighten up the clearance as the liner erodes. Then replace the liner, and occasionally replace the impeller.

Weeds/grass is a different story. Floating dead grass or leaves will absolutely stop a jet in it's tracks.

18. Likes Ox, BoxcarPete, Trueturning, wheelieking71 liked this post