Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Machines! View Post
    Could be that you are just really good at compartmentalizing, and eventually your subconscious had enough and here you are. If you are really struggling with this, try spending a few hours with your ego quelled via psychedelic mushrooms. They have a tendency to bring unaddressed issues to the forefront.
    First half, not the shrooms part.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    You must have better people than I do. Among the highlights are the know it all kid 10 months removed from making pizzas that couldn't be bothered to show up today but had the ignorance text me suggestions for altering speeds/feeds/setup on a job he wasn't even working on, and a 50 something burnout that has to be retrained twice a month because he apparently is stuck in some type of groundhog day/50 first dates situation.
    I cant begin to explain how much stress and weight comes off your sholders when they are not on your payroll any more. For us it was 20 or more hours for each of us spent retraining and or fixing problems that never should have happened in the first place. We are starting to have weekends back, we started having holidays off for the first time in years, we can just take off and go to breakfast or lunch because we feel like it. We used to spend huge amounts of time to lay out jobs so they could do them hoping one day they would be able to do a job from start to finish only to find no matter how well you have a job documented, they could find some other way to start it so it cannot be finished. We have let some good jobs go and will do so again but are finding that even though we don't cycle as many dollars we keep more of them. The people part is exhausting in and of itself.

3. Likes wheelieking71, JP Machining, paul39 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    I cant begin to explain how much stress and weight comes off your sholders when they are not on your payroll any more. For us it was 20 or more hours for each of us spent retraining and or fixing problems that never should have happened in the first place. We are starting to have weekends back, we started having holidays off for the first time in years, we can just take off and go to breakfast or lunch because we feel like it. We used to spend huge amounts of time to lay out jobs so they could do them hoping one day they would be able to do a job from start to finish only to find no matter how well you have a job documented, they could find some other way to start it so it cannot be finished. We have let some good jobs go and will do so again but are finding that even though we don't cycle as many dollars we keep more of them. The people part is exhausting in and of itself.
    Unfortunately, I still have payroll to make.
    But, we shut down Wed. @ 6pm when Seth went home (Seth = the new quiet kid). And, there will be no work until Joe rolls in 3am Monday morning.
    I just finished a big project getting a new hydraulic fixture up & running. And, I have 4 more big project right behind it.
    But, I'm real tired of every day being a work related "urgency". "OMG! The world is going to end if I don't meet my goal today"
    Well, Wed. I decided: Fuck it! I'm going to build the transmission for my truck that has been parked for two years this LONG weekend!
    Because, that is what I really feel like doing. Something for myself. Something I really enjoy. 4 days, NO WORK! About damn time too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lots of pages to sort through now. My first thought was brain fog from Covid 19. Long haul survivors are reporting brain fog, ones that used to be marathoners can no longer climb a flight of stairs.

Just heard a doctor on the news say that Covid may better be described as a disease of the blood vessels. These long haulers keep expecting to get better with time but wholesale damage to blood vessels and capillaries may never let that happen. Time will tell but this thing does have some novel surprises that keep turning up.

6. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Doesn't seem to be any improvement in sight. This morning pizza boy comes to me and says "I keep getting an axis overload alarm and I don't know why". I walk over to the Super Mini he was running, poke my head in the door and see chips piled up level with the table. Most of the time when there's an issue it's something stupid that I've gone over with someone until I'm blue in the face, none of it ever really seems to matter.

8. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    Doesn't seem to be any improvement in sight. This morning pizza boy comes to me and says "I keep getting an axis overload alarm and I don't know why". I walk over to the Super Mini he was running, poke my head in the door and see chips piled up level with the table. Most of the time when there's an issue it's something stupid that I've gone over with someone until I'm blue in the face, none of it ever really seems to matter.
    Funny, I have the exact opposite problem (sometimes). Guys will clean chips out too often. Causing spindle down-time, and much coolant carry-out.
    I used to get excited for a new drum of coolant. Because, that was something I then didn't have to worry about for many months. Not any more!
    Now it just hurts the pocket!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Well, Wed. I decided: Fuck it! I'm going to build the transmission for my truck that has been parked for two years this LONG weekend!
    Because, that is what I really feel like doing. Something for myself. Something I really enjoy. 4 days, NO WORK! About damn time too.
    You need to move closer Bill. Builds 48RE for fun! We'd get along well I think. Post up how many clutches you stuff in each pack and we'll see what kind of man you are.

11. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    You need to move closer Bill. Builds 48RE for fun! We'd get along well I think. Post up how many clutches you stuff in each pack and we'll see what kind of man you are.
    The direct pack is the only one I upgraded. I used GPZ's throughout, stuffed 6 in the direct drum, and eliminated the wavy-snap-ring.
    I know guys running 1000hp through the stock clutch pack in the forward drum, and they live. It is the direct that will let you down.
    300M input shaft, both sun gears new, lots of Sonnax goodies. Including the O/D spring-seat with the tapered bearing seat (that nobody ever replaces).
    This was a core tranny I bought cause the price was right. It had been into by somebody before. Lucky for me it was in fantastic shape!
    And, all three steel 6-pinion planets were still present (they tend to get robbed). I am at a stand-still though, because it does have the wrong gears in the pump.
    Best I can tell, somebody dropped a set of 518 gears in it. It is definitely a 48 pump body and stator. But, the drive lugs are too small to be 48.
    New gears should be here Thursday.
    This truck is pretty stock. So, this tranny combined with the DPC triple-disk converter, and completely worked over cooling system, should be bomb-proof.
    There is not one single stock part left in the cooling system. Not even the fitting in the tranny! LOL
    Starting with the ditching of the heat-exchanger! Which is what caused all this in the first place!

The 518 I'm gathering parts for for the Challenger will be a little more wild than this 48 I'm doing.
    Full roller, all 5-pinion steel planets, 48 sun shell, full-manual VB. Ohh, and a J&W ultra-bell to bolt it behind a big-block. Fun stuff!

13. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm, I have a cpl Sonex valves to install in mine (and a rev band - I think) any day now - provided that light aint a train. (it's possible)

Hoping to ditch the hunting shifts!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Hmmm, I have a cpl Sonex valves to install in mine (and a rev band - I think) any day now - provided that light aint a train. (it's possible)

Hoping to ditch the hunting shifts!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    The rev band in these is pretty tough. It is usually the 2nd gear band that cooks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The direct takes the beating on the 2-3 shift as the front band releases right?

I didn't know the pump gears swapped between the 47/48. I thought the gears were physically different size (never measured, just assumed).

The contrast between how those transmissions feel stock and how they feel with a nice converter, mild upgrades and a line pressure bump is breathtaking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    The direct takes the beating on the 2-3 shift as the front band releases right?

I didn't know the pump gears swapped between the 47/48. I thought the gears were physically different size (never measured, just assumed).

The contrast between how those transmissions feel stock and how they feel with a nice converter, mild upgrades and a line pressure bump is breathtaking.
    That is what I am told. It is also what beats the snot out of the sun-shell.

And, yea, your last sentence is spot on.
    I think its funny when people think a slush-box that shifts firm is hurting itself.
    What they don't understand is: in order to shift soft, it is technically in two gears at the same time, absolutely destroying itself, LOL.
    Line pressure on the 48's is higher than anything Chrysler ever used before. And, the 48 is the best tranny they have ever made.
    It is also (line pressure) what finally caused the demise of what has been basically the same design since the 50's. If you go too high, bad stuff happens.
    And Chrysler pretty much decided they had found the edge of the envelope.
    I have personally blow the top of the case off over the low/rev servo on a 727 in a plow-truck, LOL. What a mess!
    That was when I decided to rig me up a gauge on a hose to run up on the cowl so I could check actual line pressure under driving conditions.
    That was over 25 years ago. Still have that gauge on a hose to this day.