Unpredictable mental exhaustion - Page 7
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    They were indeed a bitch to tune but were awesome to drive once set up. I knew someone who had one of the very rare Tri-Carb 400 C.I. Oldsmobile 442s from the 66-67 era. They made the four barrel models seem like dogs. Also knew someone with a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere with the 440 Six Pack. Both would slam you into the seat when the end carbs opened.

Apparently there was also a Tri-Carb Pontiac GTO but I've never seen one in the flesh. I've also heard of earlier model Chevys with triple carbs.
    I've seen the Pontiac, and a few "Tri-power" Chebbies.

No denying they ran like a scalded ape when dialed. But, it was hard to get them there, and for some reason keep them there.
    There was a big Indian dude (and by big I mean very large) that lived in upstate New-York that would frequent our little local drag-strip. Super hard-core Mopar guy.
    He had several 440-6 cars in different states of tune. But, I remember his orange Road-Runner best. That thing was straight up nasty.
    I've never had, or driven one. And, only rode in one, ever ('70 Cuda), and the dude was afraid of it, so I didn't get the proper experience, LOL.

These days all I know is I can't wait to pull the 650 AFB off the 383 in my Challenger, and throw it in the dumpster! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I've seen the Pontiac, and a few "Tri-power" Chebbies.

No denying they ran like a scalded ape when dialed. But, it was hard to get them there, and for some reason keep them there.
    There was a big Indian dude (and by big I mean very large) that lived in upstate New-York that would frequent our little local drag-strip. Super hard-core Mopar guy.
    He had several 440-6 cars in different states of tune. But, I remember his orange Road-Runner best. That thing was straight up nasty.
    I've never had, or driven one. And, only rode in one, ever ('70 Cuda), and the dude was afraid of it, so I didn't get the proper experience, LOL.

These days all I know is I can't wait to pull the 650 AFB off the 383 in my Challenger, and throw it in the dumpster! LOL
    My experience with four barrels, especially those with vacuum secondaries like the Quadrajet was that they need frequent adjustment to keep in tune. I had a 442 power tuned by one of the local shops that also campaigned drag racers and it ran fantastic - for about three days. After that I bought a couple books on carbs and tuning and tweaked the settings periodically. One of the best changes I made was an add-on capacitive discharge ignition booster (a Delta Mark Ten). On other cars I found Holleys easier to keep in tune.

I've been fortunate enough to have been a passenger in some pretty wild cars including original Hemis, triple carb units, an AC Cobra replica with a 428, and even a couple Ferraris and Lamborghinis. Owners LOVE to show them off and if you get a reputation as someone who appreciates a fast ride you get offered lots of rides. The Cobra with 428 was just F'n sick! Several friends thought I was crazy to get in it at all.

I've also had rides in a V8 Vega, and several other V8 conversions including an Austin Healey on a Corvette chassis. The Porsche powered dune buggy was no joke either.

3. Likes Garwood, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    I've been fortunate enough to have been a passenger in some pretty wild cars including original Hemis, triple carb units, an AC Cobra replica with a 428, and even a couple Ferraris and Lamborghinis. Owners LOVE to show them off and if you get a reputation as someone who appreciates a fast ride you get offered lots of rides. The Cobra with 428 was just F'n sick! Several friends thought I was crazy to get in it at all.

I've also had rides in a V8 Vega, and several other V8 conversions including an Austin Healey on a Corvette chassis. The Porsche powered dune buggy was no joke either.
    Fastest thing I have driven was actually a bike. Kawasaki ZX11. Don't know how fast it was? To scared to look down. But, it wouldn't go any faster. I'm guessing 160-170?
    Quickest ride was (get ready for it, LOL), a twin turbo 2332 VW powered sand rail. Jeebus that thing was quick! 400hp, 1100lbs.
    Quickest muscle car I've ridden in? I hate to admit it because it was a Ford. 1967 Torino with a far from stock 428, 4-sp, and 4:88's in the 9". It would lift the skinnys and run low 10's.
    Most fun to drive thing with 4 wheels I have ever owned? Again, hate to admit it. 1971 Ford Pinto. Very, very NOT stock. We called it the Porsch killer.
    My Pinto had a wicked little turbo 2.3 with a Esslinger head/cam, and blow-through Holley 2300, 4-sp, and 4:11's. It was set up for the twistys on 40series Goodyear gatorbacks.
    It was gutted (no interior, anything with weight that could be removed was), lowered, real stiff shocks, manual steering/brakes. It was super fun to flog around the back roads. Not comfortable at all, LOL. But, that wasn't the point. what it was, was surprisingly fast. Till I finally pushed the head gasket out of it. I never fixed it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3 duces are a cake walk to tune on a Chevy, most of the tuning issues were sloppy linkage way back then.

try 6 duces on a small block. I still have my 6 duce strognberg set up and my cross ram with holley racing series 400s. Just nothing to put them on LOL. 1st time I tuned it took like 2-3 days straight, was a finicky MF'er.
    our 69rs ss camaro 4 speed car had a license plate that said FUELISH (still have that as well.) I always tried wild carb set-ups on that thing. 3 duces 4 duces then the 6 duce and cross ram. I always wanted to run those old webber fuel injection stacks back then. but they were expensive

6. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Almost correct.
    6-packs "run" on the center carb. the front/rear act like the vacuum secondaries of a 4-barrel.
    Ah, thanks. I had it backwards, your way makes more sense. Another piece of useless trivia to clog my brain with In that case, a sixpack does make sense. Nice economy when toodling then a buncha barrels when you stand on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl
    So as an American, why wasn't I familiar with a Bristol Six.

I had to look it up. Made in Britain, but of German ancestry.

Perhaps here is the answer as to why I've never seen one or even heard of it.
    I can think of a few answers ... the biggest one would be, your idiot jingoism blinds you ? And you don't know as much as you think ?

You never did answer, so I'll accept that you don't know American car history (and no, a six-pack does not "throw you back in the seat." That's silly.)

If you ask an 80 year old, "what is the hottest nastiest coolest Amurrican hot rod ?" he'll answer "Allard !" And if you ask a twenty year old, "Viper !"

But guys in their fifties and sixties say ....

There was this little company in England called AC. They made boring stuff but one day saw the Bristol engine in someone's homemade hotrod. They thought it was cool so they made them in production, about 100 AC Aces (and Aceca, the version with a top, even nicer.) This was a pretty, and light, and cool car.

So this guy from Texas named Carroll Shelby came along and thought they were neat but could use more poop. He saw them in Yurop because he may have been from Texas but he wasn't a jingoist. Drove in France, even. Thought it was a big deal. Probably never said anything about surrender monkeys, either. He dropped in a Ferd 260. Yeah, birth of the AC Cobra. This double-overhead-pushrod six is what Carroll took out.

That, I'll admit, is my own term. It's a double overhead cam engine, except it uses pushrods. Hence the homemade designation.

Still think the 289 Cobra was the best. 427 is too heavy on the front ... and an MR2 will beat both of them down a windy road, but who cares ? And the AC Ace is probably the nicer car.

So, how come you don't know doodly-squat about American history, troll ? What's your real origin ? Looks like we've uncovered some kind of Peronista hiding out in the Northeast (if you're actually really there ? Maybe you're broadcasting from a bunker in the Big Apple, Buenos Aires ?), peddling fascist propaganda over the innernet toobs ? Pretending to be an American when obviously you don't know what you're talking about ? I knew it all along. Too many things just don't add up. Why don't you get back to your fascist homeland and let us real Americans alone ? We don't need your vicious ignorant sabotage. All us people who are real Americans and believe in truth, justice and Jack Armstrong don't need your crap. Begone, false spirit ! Get thee behind me quickly, Sir Devil ! he said swiftly.

8. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few years ago I decided a gold wing is too heavy to put on the back of her motor home, so in looking around i found a Yamaha V-Max, big enough we can both ride it but small enough she can ride it by herself. My problem with it was there is no windshield for it and no saddlebags. I took it out of the pickup and into the shop, made windshield brackets, moved all 4 turn signals and mounted some leatherlyke saddle bags then took it for a ride, grabbed a handful of throttle in 3rd gear and the front wheel came off the ground, the rear started spinning and I felt like my lard ass was getting shot out of a friggin cannon, I took it home and tried it again in a few days.
    I have come to the conclusion that I am not adult enough to ride it, she says she wants to try so for 3 years it sits in the garage, wholly shit are those things powerful, until that I did not think a pickup or motorcycle could have too much power.

img_4077.jpg

10. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    wholly shit are those things powerful, until that I did not think a pickup or motorcycle could have too much power.
    And they never cut it in flat track, for various reasons. Dumped a bunch of money into them, they never could beat the pushrod twins

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=EmanuelGoldstein;3668803]Ah, thanks. I had it backwards, your way makes more sense. Another piece of useless trivia to clog my brain with In that case, a sixpack does make sense. Nice economy when toodling then a buncha barrels when you stand on it.

I can think of a few answers ... the biggest one would be, your idiot jingoism blinds you ? And you don't know as much as you think ?

You never did answer, so I'll accept that you don't know American car history (and no, a six-pack does not "throw you back in the seat." That's silly.)

If you ask an 80 year old, "what is the hottest nastiest coolest Amurrican hot rod ?" he'll answer "Allard !" And if you ask a twenty year old, "Viper

Allard American? Are you sure?

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Allard American? Are you sure?
    They had big Caddy engines in a rather unrefined chassis, just like the stuff out of LA, so we considered them ours. The J2 is still pretty cool ...

They were as American as the Cobra, anyhow

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    A few years ago I decided a gold wing is too heavy to put on the back of her motor home, so in looking around i found a Yamaha V-Max, big enough we can both ride it but small enough she can ride it by herself. My problem with it was there is no windshield for it and no saddlebags. I took it out of the pickup and into the shop, made windshield brackets, moved all 4 turn signals and mounted some leatherlyke saddle bags then took it for a ride, grabbed a handful of throttle in 3rd gear and the front wheel came off the ground, the rear started spinning and I felt like my lard ass was getting shot out of a friggin cannon, I took it home and tried it again in a few days.
    I have come to the conclusion that I am not adult enough to ride it, she says she wants to try so for 3 years it sits in the garage, wholly shit are those things powerful, until that I did not think a pickup or motorcycle could have too much power.

img_4077.jpg
    I'm no motorsickle driver/fan whatever.

However, a friend bought one of those (it sat in the dealers showroom for a few years, and was discounted)
    He said on the casual test ride, he was getting off the freeway (the cloverleaf off ramp) and looked down
    to find he was doing 70 mph....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A local (transplant) kid got a new Yammi 700 (?) back in '85, but wasn't the big dog as I understand there was one hotter than his yet. (?)
    I just took it fer a spin 1 block and back and I'm not sure that I ever got it out of 1st gear!
    It was scoot'n along pretty good clip and all I could doo to shut it down before the end of the block.
    I was impressed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well that was certainly the largest order that I ever placed via Amazon!
    Took the better part of a $2000 bill...

The local 4wd shop was $250 more, so they must not get much of a discount from this price?
    I may regret this decission if that hot job comes through - and I can't really take it to them to install, but there are others that can.
    As of right now tho - it appears that I will have time to doo it myself.
    But then - now that I bought it - maybe that was the act needed to release that hot job?

Maybe it was that last item - Court of the Crimson King - that put it over the top?
    Had to add a wee bit'o candy eh?

There doesn't seem to be an overabundance of these kits - at least for the dually - in stock anywhere.
    I am surprised that they did not include u-joints in the kit tho?

------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

17. Likes wheelieking71, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    And they never cut it in flat track, for various reasons. Dumped a bunch of money into them, they never could beat the pushrod twins
    It was the geometry of the package. Weight bias was wrong. Basically they did not slide well. Power was not an issue.
    There is a reason they were known as the Muscle Bike. Torque curve was looooong, and flat, with big numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Well that was certainly the largest order that I ever placed via Amazon!
    Took the better part of a $2000 bill...

The local 4wd shop was $250 more, so they must not get much of a discount from this price?
    I may regret this decission if that hot job comes through - and I can't really take it to them to install, but there are others that can.
    As of right now tho - it appears that I will have time to doo it myself.
    But then - now that I bought it - maybe that was the act needed to release that hot job?

Maybe it was that last item - Court of the Crimson King - that put it over the top?
    Had to add a wee bit'o candy eh?

There doesn't seem to be an overabundance of these kits - at least for the dually - in stock anywhere.
    I am surprised that they did not include u-joints in the kit tho?

------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Get the U-joints. Don't be silly and re-use the used ones. You do not want to go back in there in a few months because you didn't, right?!

Also make sure you have quality impact sockets for the axle-nut, and bearing retaining bolts. The ones that screw in to the bearing housing from the back side of the knuckle.
    Especially knowing where you live! You are only 5 hrs from our boy Wes, take it to him, he'll knock it out and make a video of it, LOL.
    Check your ball-joints while your in there as well. Don't buy Dynatrac joints!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Most fun to drive thing with 4 wheels I have ever owned? Again, hate to admit it. 1971 Ford Pinto. Very, very NOT stock. We called it the Porsch killer.
    My Pinto had a wicked little turbo 2.3 with a Esslinger head/cam, and blow-through Holley 2300, 4-sp, and 4:11's. It was set up for the twistys on 40series Goodyear gatorbacks.
    It was gutted (no interior, anything with weight that could be removed was), lowered, real stiff shocks, manual steering/brakes. It was super fun to flog around the back roads. Not comfortable at all, LOL. But, that wasn't the point. what it was, was surprisingly fast. Till I finally pushed the head gasket out of it. I never fixed it.
    Route 6n near edinboro/albion supposedly got 2' of wet (31f) snow last night.....Just sayin'

22. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get the U-joints. Don't be silly and re-use the used ones. You do not want to go back in there in a few months because you didn't, right?!

Also make sure you have quality impact sockets for the axle-nut, and bearing retaining bolts. The ones that screw in to the bearing housing from the back side of the knuckle.
    Especially knowing where you live! You are only 5 hrs from our boy Wes, take it to him, he'll knock it out and make a video of it, LOL.
    Check your ball-joints while your in there as well. Don't buy Dynatrac joints!

Of course new joints.
    Just sayin' that those will need sourced locally.

I don't have junk tools!
    And I have never bought ANYTHING at Horrible Freight!

Not that I have owned anything with old skewl bearings in the front end (maybe a 'Burban?) in the last 20 years, but I have had 4wd wheel bearing sockets since I was <20 yrs old. Back then I was the go-to for 4wd work. But not done much of that in 30 years...

Don't see Wesley much these days...
    This truck won't make it that far anyhow. LOL!

Ball joints were new a year ago I think.
    This should have been done then!

15 yrs ago I grabbed the kid and "today is the day that you learn how to pack wheel bearings", only to find out that the new truck had this .... funky .... thing!
    He still doesn't know how to pack wheel bearings by hand...
    Not that it's likely gunna help him with C++

SIL wants a used Mac/Snap-On toy box for Christmas.
    Whatever Mamma could find for the price point.
    She said that she was spendin' $250.
    Well, not much you're gunna fetch for that, but maybe a top chest...
    But if you go $500 you might find a deal on a top and bottom...

Well Boy Howdy! I found a killer deal the other day!
    We picked up a Mac 1400 set. In average shape - but for $500.
    This thing is huge! 2/3 aggin bigger'n any of my drawers!
    I think that it will take a farmer / veterinarian a while to fill this up!
    (Very heavy too!)

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 12-02-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added

24. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I swear the bigger these toolboxes get....put an engine on it and a small platform
    and steering wheel on one side....
    Motorized Feeding Cart – Supercart |
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails supercartcc-480x400.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's where old garden tractors go to pasture.
    (If they don't go to the pull circuit that is)

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    That's where old garden tractors go to pasture.
    (If they don't go to the pull circuit that is)

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    So doo you convert the latest snap on tool cart to be a "Mini gooseneck" to be pulled behind the mower.
    Or add the engine and steering
    wheel from said riding mower, directly to the new cart, ala "Zamboni" style (like the feed cart) ?