What's new
What's new

UPS and Fedex add fee over 50 pounds

gustafson

Diamond
Starting 12/29 a $24 fee for boxes over 50 pounds, used to be 70. Thought it was my software[have been changing updating computers and software] but it is real, announced in November I guess

So, watch out, if you don't pay close attention your customers might get angry

The free market economy at work.

Maybe DHL will horn in on some of this market by not adding on for over 50 lbs.

The fact that both UPS and FedEx did it, does lead to the question "are the federal anti trust people watching ?"

Ebay and PayPal get a taste of that too sometimes! I bet the big shoppers pay none of that. It all ends up on the little guy. How come if the rich or a large company gets a break it's fine. But if a little guy gets a break........

Its bad especially since I make a living shipping 60 pound boxes. I can drop to 50, but just lowered my sales by 16 percent and made it more expensive for the customer with no value added for me

I just dropped off a 39# box and a 56# box at FedEx. Same box dimensions other than weight. There didn't seem to be an upcharge for the heavier one, in fact it was less per # than the lighter one.

Regards.

Mike

I just dropped off a 39# box and a 56# box at FedEx. Same box dimensions other than weight. There didn't seem to be an upcharge for the heavier one, in fact it was less per # than the lighter one.

Regards.

Mike

Fedex's changes don't implement until January 20th....

The free market economy at work.

Maybe DHL will horn in on some of this market by not adding on for over 50 lbs.

The fact that both UPS and FedEx did it, does lead to the question "are the federal anti trust people watching ?"

It sounds like collusion, but I wonder if there is a Werkers Comp fee that went up at the same time for the heavy packages?

My driver is off for buggard back aggin this week.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Its bad especially since I make a living shipping 60 pound boxes. I can drop to 50, but just lowered my sales by 16 percent and made it more expensive for the customer with no value added for me

There's gonna be a market for bubble wrap filled with Helium.....

It sounds like collusion, but I wonder if there is a Werkers Comp fee that went up at the same time for the heavy packages?

My driver is off for buggard back aggin this week.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

YEaaaaaaaaaars ago the limit was 70 pounds, and they went up to 150[with the surcharge] and the drivers were pissed. Supposed to put heavy package labels etc.

Back when you had to fill out the book.....

Not too hard for them to have determined how much heavier parcels cost them in lost-time injuries. They pass that cost on to you, you pass it on to your customers. Age-old principle, shit rolls downhill.

Age-old market-driven capitalism: raise prices when you can.

UPS and FedEx both are operating at full capacity, way-over capacity during the holidays. They have to compete with the USPS for all the "lighter" packages (<50 pounds we will say), so they don't have as much market clout with those.

I would politely inform my customers of this new pricing policy by UPS and FedEx. Explore options with the customer...if you can get two or maybe three shipped on one order, then you can ship motor freight via pallet. Maybe DHL...? Maybe the USPS...?

If you pre-pay the shipping and add it to the invoice, maybe you could win some customer favor by covering a few dollars of the increase...?

If not, then just pass it on, let the customers take it up with UPS and FedEx.

Age-old market-driven capitalism: raise prices when you can.

UPS and FedEx both are operating at full capacity, way-over capacity during the holidays. They have to compete with the USPS for all the "lighter" packages (<50 pounds we will say), so they don't have as much market clout with those.

I would politely inform my customers of this new pricing policy by UPS and FedEx. Explore options with the customer...if you can get two or maybe three shipped on one order, then you can ship motor freight via pallet. Maybe DHL...? Maybe the USPS...?

If you pre-pay the shipping and add it to the invoice, maybe you could win some customer favor by covering a few dollars of the increase...?

If not, then just pass it on, let the customers take it up with UPS and FedEx.

That is an interesting point, the flat rate boxes must be getting to them

Some left coast larger customers have me ship on their account, so if it hadn't been the first one that I noticed was a PP&A it might have pissed them off.

one of the reasons for my post, we don't always notice

It's getting very bad for me. I'm getting ready to -really- raise my prices to deal with this.

Here is a recent Fedex bill I expected to be about $90. Notice the Peak - Oversize charge... Peak charges were a new thing for me this year:

Transportation Charge
Peak - Oversize Charge
Performance Pricing
Oversize Charge
Residential
Fuel Surcharge
DAS Extended Resi
Total charges
$224.10

For years I shipped everything through UPS, was really happy with them, my driver was great. He went away with the last big "contract" changes when they brought in all new younger folks.

So I went to FedEx, shipped with them till they snapped a $4000 package in half and denied the insurance claim saying I hadn't packed it correctly. Never mind the two 1/2" pine boards they broke before they broke the parts.

So now I ship everything USPS. Funny thing is, occasionally I quote the other two prior to shipping USPS. In the last 5 years, I have only had very RARE circumstances that UPS or FedEx were cheaper.

I use the HELL out of the flat rate boxes, and my driver is the friendliest guy he could be. Will do nearly ANYTHING to help me. He told me the one day from up on high, they are told to take care of the little guy. I am there bread and butter. He knows it, he treats me like it. And frankly... I don't ship that much... I think I spent $5k w/ USPS last year. I even got a phone call from some guy whose job it is to ask how my service is, if I have any issues, etc. I talked to him for about 10-15 min about things I thought they could improve, the fact he read some of it back to me made me think he was actually listening.

Oh, and USPS doesn't charge me $3-$5 to pickup like UPS and FedEx. :nutter:

shipping drives me nuts. We ship a lot of heavy wall tubes. UPS has a tube charge. They did not a few years ago, but apparently tubes are too hard to handle now and they have to be hand carried. For 20 bucks a tube or whatever it is. The worst thing about this, and freight as well, is most of the time, a rate quote comes in, the customer gets charged, and then, a week later when the bill comes in, all these fees are added on, like they think they are the DMV or something. I can't go nback to my customer, I will not nickle and dime them- it is a chicken crap thing to do.

Back