What's new
What's new

used machine inspection

roll maker

Aluminum
I am interested in a used cnc mill in the mid-west, I am in eastern Pa. Are there any services that can do a thorough inspection of the machine on my behalf. It is older than I would like but if the wear is not too bad it could work. Thanks for any input

Who is the machine tool builder?

Most do not offer this, but some might be willing to do a service call and inspect.

A $500 plane ticket is money well spent to prevent you from buying a $25k boat anchor.

I think it depends on what it is and how much of an investment it will be for you. In my experience most of the major manufacturers have kept up with good records on any machine they made, and a call to them is a good place to start as they can tell you things like who originally purchased it, any service calls they made, etc. I recently had a call to the manufacturer of a 5-axis waterjet we were looking at, and not only did they talk to me about the machine for probably 30 plus minutes, but he even called back the next day with more info.

As far as paying someone to inspect the machine I think it would cost you less to take two days and fly out yourself. Not to mention the person inspecting it knows they will never see you or the machine again, and I don't imagine anyone warrantying their info for you.

If small money for something seemingly dirt cheap on the other hand then sometimes you just have to roll the dice and expect the worst/hope the best.

Seems like this could be a nice part time job for a retired person. Probably already owns all the tools and inspection gear needed. Set up shop as a little company and advertise on this site. Heck they could offer the service on ebay or maybe craiglist closer to home.
Maybe someone here living near HGR. Do it for travel expenses and $200 a day while inspecting.
Bill D

Back