What's new
What's new

Used way lube, recycle or..?

Sub-Micron

Aluminum
My hardinge CNC uses waylube like it's going out of style. The machine has always been a way lube hog, so I don't think there is anything abnormal for the machine. The shop I worked at had 4 of them and they were all the same.

Looking at the waste tray, the lube looks just like it went in. What do you think of filtering it and running it through again? I don't see any coolant or moisture in it. I could vacuum bake it just in case.

Another option I was thinking of is filtering it and running it through my diesel vehicle, diluted 1 gallon into 17 gallons of #2.

What do ya'll think? Am I being cheap?

Roger

Check the ladder logic on your machine. Ideally, the way lube should only be enabled when longitudinal or traverse motion are enabled. Many machines run the lube pump when motionless and idle. You may be able to rewire the pump so that it is enabled by the contactor that enables the servo drives' power supply. That may cut comsumption considerably.

I would not re-use oil that landed in the chip pan for anything other than fire-starter.

My hardinge CNC uses waylube like it's going out of style. The machine has always been a way lube hog, so I don't think there is anything abnormal for the machine. The shop I worked at had 4 of them and they were all the same.

Looking at the waste tray, the lube looks just like it went in. What do you think of filtering it and running it through again? I don't see any coolant or moisture in it. I could vacuum bake it just in case.

Another option I was thinking of is filtering it and running it through my diesel vehicle, diluted 1 gallon into 17 gallons of #2.

What do ya'll think? Am I being cheap?

Roger

You'll be a "big buddy" with the Tree Service gang
Way lub works great as a bar lubracant.
Robbie

Check the ladder logic on your machine. Ideally, the way lube should only be enabled when longitudinal or traverse motion are enabled. Many machines run the lube pump when motionless and idle. You may be able to rewire the pump so that it is enabled by the contactor that enables the servo drives' power supply. That may cut consumption considerably.

I would not re-use oil that landed in the chip pan for anything other than fire-starter.

I'll check that. The lube pump runs all the time, even when in E-Stop. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to create a system that would set a lower frequency for when the machine is idle, then back to normal when running.

The used lube doesn't collect in the chip pan on this machine. It collects in a waste oil tray. They did a pretty good job of shielding the waste lube from the coolant.

Last edited:
We have the same issue with our CNC lathe. I've been letting it settle in a glass gallon container for about a month then pouring off the top three quarters or so and using it in the knee mills. I seems to be fine for that. However, I don't know about recycling through the CNC. Logic says maybe after filtering with say a 5 our less micron filter would most likely be fine.

I haven't thought it worth the effort so far, but may after having to pay to dispose of it here in California. Guess I'll be calling the tree service gang also...

Steve

Back