Using shop down time ideas ? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was always the busiest when there was nothing to do. Clean, do inventory, move stuff around to make the place safer and more productive. Enema time baby.

2. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post
    Here is a better shot . . . you can see the planer mill parts piled on the floor. And if you look close . . . waaaaay back on the right, a few rolls of jumbo TP! Saving that for the apocalypse!

That's a nice shop. You did well with the " Butler ", they have/had a great reputation for quality over here. Did you consider going down the " Elgamill " route ? They took over from the plano-mills to a great extent. If you want versatility the " Elgamills " were very good. I remember going to an auction years ago, there were three nearly new big " Elgamills " with huge auto tool change magazines. Really nice machines. However if you want higher rates of metal removal I preferred the plano-mills.

Regards Tyrone

4. Likes motion guru, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a better shot . . . you can see the planer mill parts piled on the floor. And if you look close . . . waaaaay back on the right, a few rolls of jumbo TP! Saving that for the apocalypse!

I absolutely love your new shop.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back on topic - when it was quiet I used to get all the drills in the shop and sharpen them. The small ones by hand on the grindstone and the bigger ones on the drill grinder. Practice makes perfect.

Regards Tyrone.

8. Likes Laurentian, Milacron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a better shot . . . you can see the planer mill parts piled on the floor. And if you look close . . .
    Please put in your will for someone to post the same picture and camera angle 40-60 years from now.
    For sure that is awesome and inspiring. What a sweet setup.
    The shop vac hose on the floor is a OSHA trip hazard.. and if some stepped on that broom it would hit them in the head, it should be in a rack.
    (you know I'm poking for fun, others... relax and take a chill pill)
    So glad to see all of your run over the years. You are an inspiration.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Behind the refrigerator in the shop.

And this one showed up about 8 feet from my desk one night.

I keep a little revolver with .22 shot shells. 3 shots usually does it.
    Never had to use it on anything but that one behind the frig. The other
    got a 70lb slab of steel dropped on its head.

I've always hated snakes, but now if its not a rattler it doesn't bother
    me *much*. I still don't like any snakes, but I don't freak out
    like I did when I was a kid.
    We had a rattler for a few months in a shop I worked at. It pretty much stayed out of sight but the mice totally disappeared, none. When the shop idiot killed the snake the mice returned within days.

11. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Please put in your will for someone to post the same picture and camera angle 40-60 years from now.
    For sure that is awesome and inspiring. What a sweet setup.
    The shop vac hose on the floor is a OSHA trip hazard.. and if some stepped on that broom it would hit them in the head, it should be in a rack.
    (you know I'm poking for fun, others... relax and take a chill pill)
    So glad to see all of your run over the years. You are an inspiration.
    Bob
    That shot was right after the guys stripped the forms and swept up . . . normally, it is not this neat and tidy.

13. Likes Laurentian, Milacron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That shot was right after the guys stripped the forms and swept up . . . normally, it is not this neat and tidy.
    It looks the sort of shop that would be a pleasure to work in. A clean shop leads to clear thinking. A cluttered shop can leave you with a cluttered mind. I like your style a lot.

Regards Tyrone.

15. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Like that turret disassembly I need to do. I have a 12 position one that runs directly off line hydraulic pressure, it doesn't lock in with the same ease at all positions, it clunks and bounces at some and is smooth on others. The pressure also has to be adjusted just right. It is also out of alignment I have shimmed the drill bushing holders. It has slowly been getting worse over the years, but I still have been able to hold +/-.0005 on lengths and diameters all day long easily after it warms up.

In my defense I have two bad shoulders and a bad back so the job won't be a fun one as it requires bending and reaching into the machine. I would guess even with it stripped down the turret weighs north of 100#.
    or the turret rebuild I should be doing

turret.jpg

but in my defense the parts are supposedly 10 days out. But they are coming from Italy, so I'm not gonna hold my breath
    on that one.....

17. Likes Ox, Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pcasanova View Post
    or the turret rebuild I should be doing

turret.jpg

but in my defense the parts are supposedly 10 days out. But they are coming from Italy, so I'm not gonna hold my breath
    on that one.....
    Might want to hold your breath Using shop down time ideas ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

19. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Maybe even join the 21st century and get a Haimer or SPI variant.
    Accuracy between the two is about the same. Biggest difference:
    The Haimer takes two revs to get to zero. The SPI (Haff&Schneider) only one rev.
    If you are always on-point and sharp as a tack? The H&S is faster. A couple cold-snacks? You learn to appreciate the Haimer!

21. Likes Hardplates, Garwood, ranchak, mountie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we are trying to use the lul to move more machines to Idaho and are hoping we don't run into fuel problems. I have it in my head that shutting down gas stations is on of the first things they should have done but we are moving, and this is as just about as big of an obstical that could have poped up, not trying to downplay anything going on. We thought we had just about as big of moving that someone could and now this. I saw it written in 3 foot tall letters one time,"life is what happens while you are making other plans"

It is sure hitting home just about now

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is one thing I want to do this year, and you all can laugh.. And I wouldn't
    even type this right now if I could sleep, but this whole mess is slightly anxiety inducing.

It almost seems like 9/11 again.. But different. Just... you don't whats going to happen.

Anyways. I'm always watching these space shows. How the Universe Works on Science Channel, with Mike
    Rowe is really good, but there are a ton of good ones on Youtube also. So my better half decided
    that I needed a telescope for X-mas, not realizing that I enjoy the math and science part, not the
    looking at stars part.

So.. What the heck am I going to do with this thing? My goal this year is to calculate the speed of
    light. 186,000mph, I've had that memorized since 4th grade, so what the hell is there to calculate?

I want to do it from scratch. And of course I've already cheated a little, but that's hard not to do
    when this stuff is already known. But I want to do it how they did it back in the good old days
    with observations and calculations(mostly trig), and see how close I can get to the already known value.

Gives the mind something to think about besides the electrical bill and the stock market and
    what the heck are all these people doing with all the toilet paper?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    My goal this year is to calculate the speed of
    light. 186,000mph, I've had that memorized since 4th grade, so what the hell is there to calculate?
    That was miles per SECOND.

But a great deal has changed since you were in 4th grade.

For "extra credit", see if you can beat the current record in the lab for "slow light".

38 Miles Per HOUR.

I think all they had to do was install it on Microsoft "Windows" after which it took forever to work its way around the WinCrobes, eye-candy, advertising, updates, version-Hell, and bloatware...

Or line up the members of the Yew Ass Howce of Reprehensibles, shine it in one member's ear, out the other, and one to the next... with the usual delay to f**k something up worse than usual, collect the bribe, issue a subpoena, and tell outrageous lies, each go.

... but there may be more to it?

Scientists Slow Down Speed of Light - ABC News

25. Likes Bobw, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not a shop owner here. But may I suggest giving the apprentices a project to work on? Tools for their tool box, or something that might force them into a skill they don't normally use maybe.

Grinding was always a weak spot for me. So it was nice to make personal tools, or work on a grinding job I wouldn't normally get when things slowed down. Taught me how to use a radius/tangent dresser, and hone some other grinding skills.
    Last edited by Jashley73; 03-19-2020 at 06:50 PM.

27. Likes johfoster, TeachMePlease, kenton, mountie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    Not a shop owner here. But may I suggest giving the apprentices a project to work on? Tools for their tool box, or something that might force them into a skill they don't normally use maybe.

Grinding was always a weak spot for me. So it was nice to make personal tools, or work on a grinding job I wouldn't normally get once things slowed down. Taught me how to use a radius/tangent dresser, and hone some other grinding skills.
    If you can FIND an "apprentice" .... without an Executive order from President Coolidge...

Present day and age, my guess is they are the ones as have collected all the toilet paper as has vanished from store shelves.

"The Plan" is to trade it amongst themselves at a loss, but make it up in volume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    One should always do that when work slows.
    That pays off down the line. You can never teach too much and a slowdown is the oh-so perfect time.
    Keep them busy and working hard. No slack because the workload low. Keep all engaged. Invent things as need be to keep the same push as if you were full.
    Idle hands are the tool of the bad guy.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last summer I had a bull snake under the mill.
    The summer before I killed 2 prairie rattle snakes in my shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

31. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    If you can FIND an "apprentice" .... without an Executive order from President Coolidge...

Present day and age, my guess is they are the ones as have collected all the toilet paper as has vanished from store shelves.

"The Plan" is to trade it amongst themselves at a loss, but make it up in volume.

As a recently graduated apprentice...

You're still not too wrong, but you're not 100% right, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    we are trying to use the lul to move more machines to Idaho and are hoping we don't run into fuel problems. I have it in my head that shutting down gas stations is on of the first things they should have done but we are moving, and this is as just about as big of an obstical that could have poped up, not trying to downplay anything going on. We thought we had just about as big of moving that someone could and now this. I saw it written in 3 foot tall letters one time,"life is what happens while you are making other plans"

It is sure hitting home just about now
    I just crossed over 80/90 this morning, and I saw no 4 wheelers in either direction.
    All Billy Big Riggers was it.

I'd say that most folks are staying local.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox